McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

This surely takes away partly from Jobs' performance tomorrow!

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.

Though I still believe the Macgraw-Hill CEO will no longer be sold one.
  • Reply 22 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

What an unbelievable moron. A controlled leak?? Wow, just wow.

More like a bad case of incontinence. Get the man some Depends.
  • Reply 23 of 235
    if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \
  • Reply 24 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

I'm extremely happy with iPhone OS. Tons of apps that are far cheaper. New ones will come that are much more capable and designed for the tablet.

Instant on, real quick system updates are also a boon.

Have a peek here:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=106528
  • Reply 25 of 235
    I'm surprised anyone felt it was okay to discuss this unannounced product the day before the launch. I feel sorry for anyone who may have been complicit, particularly if they work for Apple. Clearly, McGraw-Hill doesn't understand Apple's showmanship and mystique when they announce new "creations." It's part of the fun of the company's style and it's one of the reasons they're so successful.
  • Reply 26 of 235
    As crucial as the software is, the candy will be in the hardware.

Steve is going old school
  • Reply 27 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

He means, they did have such an arrangement. ;-)

GREAT LINE ! Thanks ! !
  • Reply 28 of 235
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.

Though I still believe the Macgraw-Hill CEO will no longer be sold one.

I agree- I'll bet this guy had clearance to spill those beans at this point, just to keep the rumor sites (well, like this one, for instance) buzzing. And it worked, I guess.

In any case, he didn't let slip anything we didn't know pretty much for certain before (with the possible exception of confirming the OS).
  • Reply 29 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I'm extremely happy with iPhone OS. Tons of apps that are far cheaper. New ones will come that are much more capable and designed for the tablet.

Have a peek here:

Ha-ha. That's Bitter Disappointment #1. Collect the whole set! Be the first on your block!
  • Reply 30 of 235
    I would take "based on iPhone OS" as based on iPhone. I expect some new API's. Remember that the iPhone core is standard Darwin, minus the Java VM, print system and other irrelevant stuff, then Cocoa Touch over the top and optimise like crazy.

Point is, there's plenty of room to expand before you hit Mac OS X.
  • Reply 31 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

He's going to be found dead tomorrow with an iPhone jammed down his throat. It will be ruled a

suicide by the coroner.

heheh
  • Reply 32 of 235
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

Oh dear. How wrong can you be?

(quite a lot obviously )
  • Reply 33 of 235
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    ...You know, for people who like to sniff their textbooks...
  • Reply 34 of 235
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    You have to wonder just how much he knows.

I am sure they got some sort of specs but no way he saw anything.

AT&T never even saw the iPhone and they were a major partner in that deal.

And it using the iPhone OS can mean anything.

I just highly doubt it runs the exact iPhone OS we know and love.

If that was the case, this thing could have come out a year ago.
  • Reply 35 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Oh dear. How wrong can you be?

(quite a lot obviously )

The iPhone and iPod touch were such failures.

• Reply 36 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

I suspect the "iPhone operating system" is iPhone 4.0, and I think it is appropriate to assume 4.0 will be much more powerful than 3.0, possibly so much so that it barely resembles its precursor.

If we get multitasking and any number of other requested features, I think it's safe to say we're getting darn close to a Mobile OS X with about as powerful a user interface as you can get with a touch screen.

But then again, I don't want to disguise my excitement with reality. This is Apple, after all. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Reply 37 of 235
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:

Instant on, real quick system updates are also a boon.

Have a peek here:

No multi-tasking... I can't believe this is the case with it. It's one reason I don't have an iPhone.
  • Reply 38 of 235
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I'm surprised anyone felt it was okay to discuss this unannounced product the day before the launch. I feel sorry for anyone who may have been complicit, particularly if they work for Apple. Clearly, McGraw-Hill doesn't understand Apple's showmanship and mystique when they announce new "creations." It's part of the fun of the company's style and it's one of the reasons they're so successful.

The whole point of being secretive is to control the information and manipulate it to your advantage. He didn't say anything we didn't already know (or at least strongly suspect) and it keeps the hype level high, while possibly dampening the inevitable "no OSX - no buy" complaints tomorrow. I find it hard to believe that he said that without Apples approval.
  • Reply 39 of 235
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Yababadabadoo!

The CEO, no less. Bet Apple gets a little PO'd at the leak...

Na, thinking this was intentional. Any publishers that were on the fence are calling Steve tonight.
  • Reply 40 of 235
    Haha, do you guy's really think this was anything other than a planned leak?