McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 235
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I expect McGraw-Hill had a segment in tomorrow's presentation.

Now they don't.
  • Reply 42 of 235
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

No multi-tasking... I can't believe this is the case with it. It's one reason I don't have an iPhone.

The tablet will not be running iPhone OS 3.1. Multitasking is a mere update away.
  • Reply 43 of 235
    Steve gonna whoop his arse later.
  • Reply 44 of 235
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm just laughing at the image of Steve Jobs yelling obscenities in some back room on the Cupertino campus after this

My guess is that McGraw-Hill won't be up on stage tomorrow... and probably won't be mentioned
  • Reply 45 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by olliemuh View Post

Steve gonna whoop his arse later.

No he won't
  • Reply 46 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The tablet will not be running iPhone OS 3.1. Multitasking is a mere update away.

Sure about that?
  • Reply 47 of 235
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Haha, do you guy's really think this was anything other than a planned leak?

Of course it wasn't a planned leak. What possible reason could Apple have to screw Steve's presentation?

If it was intentional by Mr McGraw-Hill then he fucked up royally.
  • Reply 47 of 235
    Well, personally I think this was an intentional PR leak. However, I'll just pretend that it ain't so and keep on having fun...

Good one, by the way:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

He's going to be found dead tomorrow with an iPhone jammed down his throat. It will be ruled a

suicide by the coroner.

• Reply 49 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.

Though I still believe the Macgraw-Hill CEO will no longer be sold one.

You obviously don't understand Steve. When he asks someone to sign a confidentiality agreement he actually takes them at their word - even the day before.

STEVE WILL NOT FORGET THIS!!!

• Reply 50 of 235
    If ALL Apple are releasing tomorrow is just a tablet running iPhone OS then they should be GRATEFUL this guy just announced 95% of their coursework textbooks will run on it because Apple will need every bit of up-sell it can get.

However, we all know there is more wow to come than this.

All this really does is confirm that it's worth 'checking in' for.

This is nothing that a few other major publishers haven't already said already.
  • Reply 51 of 235
    Quote:

Haha, do you guy's really think this was anything other than a planned leak?

It's a lot more fun (and likely IMO) to think otherwise.
  • Reply 52 of 235
    hhahha Posts: 2member
    "Now, with the tabloid, you're gonna open up the higher education tablet..."

TABLOID as a NAME???
  • Reply 53 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Of course it wasn't a planned leak. What possible reason could Apple have to screw Steve's presentation?

If it was intentional by Mr McGraw-Hill then he fucked up royally.

Really? So you think MCGraw Hill worked with Apple for 12-16 months on this project, and then the day before Apple is to unveil their new product, MCGraw Hill decides to make the announcement for Apple. Get a grip man, this is a planned leak with very little new information, but just enough to stoke the flames.
  • Reply 54 of 235
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Sure about that?

Well, considering there was news yesterday that some group was tracking 50 unknown devices originating at Apple IP addresses running iPhone OS 3.2, I'd say there's good reason to think so. Also, consider that there's lots more physical space in the tablet's shell than an iPhone, which could translate into more powerful processors that can handle some subset of multitasking.

And to all you guys whining about not having Mac OS X on the tablet, remember, down under, it's all Unix, both iPhone OS and Mac OS X, upon which the iPhone OS is based.
  • Reply 55 of 235
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You are kidding, right? With over a hundred thousand applications, the tablets will likely be the biggest Trojan horse to take sales away from Microsoft. The biggest drawback of iPhone related applications is that the screen size is relatively small. Gaming will be a hundred times better. I think there are more applications available for the iPhone then for the Mac computer. Also students will likely start preferring the Tablets over notebooks because 1) they will likely be cheaper, 2) lighter, 3) have more applications, and 4) the list goes on.

I personally will likely sell my recently purchased Macbook and get a 27" iMac and a Tablet. Then again my predictions are based on guessing on what Apple is going to offer. If it is tied to a cellular contract, sales will be significantly less.

displace many Notebook sales. Further, it will be a great gaming machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system."

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

• Reply 56 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It's a lot more fun (and likely IMO) to think otherwise.

I guess it depends how much time you have to kill.....
  • Reply 57 of 235
    Quote:

I guess it depends how much time you have to kill.....

For the next 24 hours, many people are devoting their lives to Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Well, considering there was news yesterday that some group was tracking 50 unknown devices originating at Apple IP addresses running iPhone OS 3.2, I'd say there's good reason to think so. Also, consider that there's lots more physical space in the tablet's shell than an iPhone, which could translate into more powerful processors that can handle some subset of multitasking.

And to all you guys whining about not having Mac OS X on the tablet, remember, down under, it's all Unix, both iPhone OS and Mac OS X, upon which the iPhone OS is based.

3.2 is a maintenance release though, not a feature release. 4.0 is likely, but it's all speculation.
  • Reply 59 of 235
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

"Appearing on financial network CNBC Tuesday afternoon, the CEO of publisher McGraw-Hill confirmed that Apple will announce its tablet Wednesday, and that the device will run the iPhone mobile operating system."

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

I'm thinking the same thing... I don't see a big draw for this thing. And if this is an ebook reader, I've read that many students aren't happy with ebooks because you can't resell them back to the bookstores, they can't be sold to other students, and they cost almost as much as a real book.

Here's an article that notes some issues with the kindle ebook reader:

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/kindled

IMO, for this thing to be somewhat successful, it better do multi-tasking, have an easily replaceable battery, and have the ability to function as a stand alone computer so you can connect a keyboard to it and an external monitor and use it as a real computer... I'm not a big fan of touchscreens, having the option to use a keyboard with it while driving a large external monitor would make it very useful.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and I hope this thing has outstanding sales numbers.
  • Reply 60 of 235
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Na, thinking this was intentional. Any publishers that were on the fence are calling Steve tonight.

I'm not sure I agree with you but your argument certainly does have merit. From what I can tell, McGraw-Hill's marketshare looks to be about 40% for the financials segment and 35% for the educations segment. I have to concede that would be a smart play.