McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 101 of 235
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Sure, but what will be taken away from Jobs' presentation is the slide that shows McGraw-Hill as one of the companies Apple has been working with. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve is going through is presentation right now and removing all mention of McGraw-Hill from it. Remember the Phil not-so-subtly showed the slide off all the carriers that would have MMS and tethering and giving people plenty of time to realize that ATT wasn't on that slide? It was so obvious that the audience actually started laughing about it. That will be McGraw-Hill tomorrow.

It could go either way in my book. But I'm sure many of remember the video folks that bragged about being the number one option on a new product a few years back? As I recall, Steve was so pissed about that one that he pulled the plug on that companies video card option as a BTO and made sure people knew why.
  • Reply 102 of 235
    It was a deliberate pr stunt. Notice on the bottom of the screen they flash "apple tablet mcgraw hill blah blah blah " about 5 seconds before she even asks the question.

Therefore > he already knew she was going to ask the question and she already knew the answer to the question and the tv producers already knew ahead of time to put the label on the screen.

Analysis complete.

Peace out.
  • Reply 103 of 235
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scades View Post

Yesterday the New York TImes reported that the Times was customizing an e-version for use with "reader applications," although it's been widely reported that Apple and the NYT have been working together on this project for a year. While McGraw-Hill's CEO was less coy than the Times has been, his comments really don't add to what others have already confirmed about the iPad. So... I don't anticipate any spankings for this guy.

Nice post. Welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 104 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating Cheetos (you probably wouldn't either )

She wouldn't be in bed with either one of us, she appears to play for the other team..... But she apparently would gladly take our money to fly her and her parents around...
  • Reply 105 of 235
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokyweedman View Post

It was a deliberate pr stunt. Notice on the bottom of the screen they flash "apple tablet mcgraw hill blah blah blah " about 5 seconds before she even asks the question.

Therefore > he already knew she was going to ask the question and she already knew the answer to the question and the tv producers already knew ahead of time to put the label on the screen.

Analysis complete.

Peace out.

Then why was the video pulled?
  • Reply 106 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Then why was the video pulled?

because CNBC probably getting slashdotted on that streaming video right now.
  • Reply 107 of 235
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Analysis complete.

Peace out.

Welcome to AI.

All that means is it was not a slip of the tongue. The guy could still be an idiot.
  • Reply 108 of 235
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Analysis complete.

Peace out.

Welcome to the forum.

Without watching the video again, using Occam's Bongwater, it makes sense to assume the banner was added after the fact, as in after the recording was made.
  • Reply 109 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Welcome to AI.

All that means is it was not a slip of the tongue. The guy could still be an idiot.

While CEO of McGraw-Hill in 2008, Harold W. McGraw, III earned a total compensation of $8,245,136 which included a base salary of $1,350,000, no cash bonus, stocks granted of $3,108,604, options granted of $3,155,705, and other compensation of $630,827.

He's no idiot.

• Reply 110 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

Third, the McGraw Hill guy probably knows only 10% of the deal. So what if it does textbooks. So what if it runs the iPhone APIs. That doesn't mean it won't run desktop apps. He only knows what Apple wanted him to know which is only the stuff relevant to textbooks.

Exactly. What does the CEO of the company know about the OS, or the features of the tablet, or the hardware, or anything else other than what he's been told by his assistants and a few people at Apple. They already have 95% of their stuff in eBooks suitable for the iPhone OS so he's simply saying that it will be just like that, probably thinking it will need the exact iPhone OS to run them.

He's probably been told something like "it will run 'like' the iPhone OS" and he turns around and says it will BE the iPhone OS. Plus, many reports have said the tablet will run most iPhone apps basically as-is, but that doesn't mean that the entire tablet is on the iPhone OS as we know it.

One CEO. For books. Nothing to learn from this.

Mac OS X. Ideal for Macintosh computers

iPhone OS - Ideal for small, mobile "computers"

What's in between? Find out tomorrow. Don't worry about what the CEO of a mostly dead-tree publishing company has to say.
  • Reply 111 of 235
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

because CNBC probably getting slashdotted on that streaming video right now.

It's been down for hours. It would have been back by now.

Apple's ninjas are out in force.
  • Reply 112 of 235
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

She wouldn't be in bed with either one of us, she appears to play for the other team..... But she apparently would gladly take our money to fly her and her parents around...

You talking about Windows as the 'other team' - right?
  • Reply 113 of 235
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

While CEO of McGraw-Hill in 2008, Harold W. McGraw, III earned a total compensation of $8,245,136 which included a base salary of $1,350,000, no cash bonus, stocks granted of $3,108,604, options granted of $3,155,705, and other compensation of $630,827.

He's no idiot.

Intergenerational wealth sometimes comes with genetic defects.
  • Reply 114 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

But OMG, that voice. She sounds like a Valley Girl on amphetamines.

You mean, like, Totally Tableture?

"So, I was like at the mall and all, and there was like this Apple Store thingy and it looked so totally cool that I, like, just couldn't believe it, so, like, I like texted him, and like this Steve guy, like answered and like he like totally is gonna like even teach me like to be way cooler! I mean like, I don't care or like even know how much they like cost, 'cause like, you know, Daddy said I could get one 'cause, well, like, it's cool!"

Something like that?

You wouldn't believe how many conversations I heard like the one above in the mall close by on the day the original iPhone came out.
  • Reply 115 of 235
    . . . and in the event of a violation of our disclosure agreement or a leak of information before the Event Date, the profit sharing percentage will be adjusted downward by 5% for each violation"
  • Reply 116 of 235
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

He's no idiot.

Have you considered the possibility that nepotism has anything to do with his position or salary?
  • Reply 117 of 235
    Quote:

He's no idiot.

No. It just means he makes more than you do. There are a whole lot of secretaries and other supposedly lesser former employees of MS that are millionaires. They received considerable options when said options were the easiest way to get hourly or lower salaried people to work their arse off for promises of later glory. These people for the most part were not idiots, but they weren't necessarily geniuses either.

Plus, you do realize that few upper level executives handle their own pay package negotiations, right? Right?
  • Reply 118 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can somewhat see how the CEO of a larger publishing house might get some inside info on this thing, but I have a hard time see how they'd get access to the nomenclature. I can't imagine it's that easy to choose a name these these days in a global market.

For instance, Apple can't call even use the AirPort in Japan, the AppleTV was introduced as the iTV noting that name was already in use and Cisco argued for the I-phone trademark rights. And as I recall there is already a debate on the validity of an old trademark for iTablet or iPad.

I think they might use the one they already own - iBook

Place your bets here!
  • Reply 119 of 235
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    This from CNET's Erica Ogg - what you should know about The Apple Way

'All of those are the kinds of details Steve Jobs typically leaves for himself to reveal. For those unfamiliar with the Apple way: the company has basically zero tolerance for talking about products before they're ready. In other words, we can assume that McGraw isn't getting a holiday card from Jobs this year. In an incident that's become almost legendary in the Apple community, back in 2000, graphics chipmaker ATI, now owned by AMD, issued a press release that made reference to a Power Mac yet to be introduced by Apple. Jobs was said to be livid and omitted any mention of ATI from his keynote.'

As you said earlier JustifyBob
  • Reply 120 of 235
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Not only is she not 'that' hot, she's a gold digger, it seems.

http://www.menshealth.com/men/best-l...10000013281eac

Figures... Erin is such a IAP name. I'd like to take her into the woods.