McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 121 of 235
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I disagree. I think there will be enough twists to this new bird that it will fly off shelves.

That is part of it, it is like people don't grasp the idea that IPhone OS can evolve overtime. More importantly higher performance computing hardware can do a lot for new features.

The key element here is understanding that iPhone and it's OS are constrained by screen size for one and RAM for another point. The tools and libraries that iPhone OS is built upon are very powerful. It is a simple matter to extend them to deliver more advanced behaviours. I actually see people that pigeon hole the Touch into a limited device due to the OS as being very ignorant. The vast majority of the tablets limitations are directly due to hardware not the software.

Dave
  • Reply 122 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

What an unbelievable moron. A controlled leak?? Wow, just wow.

These corporate robots are frickin' incredible. Flapping their *$#@!! lips like there's no tomorrow. Steve should cut them off at the knees for breaking their NDA.
  • Reply 123 of 235
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

So what if it does textbooks. So what if it runs the iPhone APIs. That doesn't mean it won't run desktop apps.

Nearly impossible. It's running the wrong CPU. Nobody will rewrite desktop apps for ARM processors. And then there's the limited RAM and storage on a handheld device.
  • Reply 124 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Really? So you think MCGraw Hill worked with Apple for 12-16 months on this project, and then the day before Apple is to unveil their new product, MCGraw Hill decides to make the announcement for Apple. Get a grip man, this is a planned leak with very little new information, but just enough to stoke the flames.

This clown (from McGraw Hill) is used to the usual corporate tactics where you blab continually about your latest lame product ideas. This is all these trolls know. I hope to holy heck Steve rips them a new one a mile wide.
  • Reply 125 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsad23 View Post

C'mon guys, this was the worst kept secret. I think it just adds more fuel to fire because everyone will want to see apple's take on tablet computing.

Why does anyone think the CEO of McGraw-Hill was even on CNBC to begin with? How often do you see the CEO of a book publisher on any financial news during prime time? I bet this was completely staged.
  • Reply 126 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

It's eminently possible Apple authorized him to 'leak' this info.

I seriously doubt that. Not with the build up on this product.
  • Reply 127 of 235
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OzExige View Post

This from CNET's Erica Ogg - what you should know about The Apple Way

'All of those are the kinds of details Steve Jobs typically leaves for himself to reveal. For those unfamiliar with the Apple way: the company has basically zero tolerance for talking about products before they're ready. In other words, we can assume that McGraw isn't getting a holiday card from Jobs this year. In an incident that's become almost legendary in the Apple community, back in 2000, graphics chipmaker ATI, now owned by AMD, issued a press release that made reference to a Power Mac yet to be introduced by Apple. Jobs was said to be livid and omitted any mention of ATI from his keynote.'

As you said earlier JustifyBob

Thanks. I was too tired to look up the details but I do remember it happening.
  • Reply 128 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating Cheetos (you probably wouldn't either )

Thanks. I thought she was attractive but from that photo, she looks remarkably like a transexual from Argentina.

As for the CEO, he has an ego...and may have wanted to annoy Steve by mentioning a few tasty details without going too far. God knows what goes on in the minds of such idiots.

Anyway, something you can be sure of regarding the tablet; it understandably won't outsell the iphone or ipod. And I'm guessing it may not even outsell their notebooks (especially if Apple develop macbooks with touch screens somewhere down the line complete with app store).

So, how ground breaking can this thing possibly be? I'm wary of phrases like 'game changer' being banded about.

I do have this awful feeling it may be slightly disappointing after the dust has settled. The sort of 'bigging themselves up' claptrap when they come out with "...and it's got a 3.2mp camera..."!

Anyway, I have an Apple Store Gift Card waiting to be used....so fingers crossed this thing's gonna be damn good!
  • Reply 129 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Intergenerational wealth sometimes comes with genetic defects.

hmm yes, you can ask ballmer, he could answer that for ya...
  • Reply 130 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I suspect the "iPhone operating system" is iPhone 4.0, and I think it is appropriate to assume 4.0 will be much more powerful than 3.0, possibly so much so that it barely resembles its precursor.

My guess is that the tablet, if it ships in the spring, will run a version of iPhone OS 3.x (maybe 3.2 or 3.5, the minor number doesn't really matter). If it is already in a manufacturing ramp, the OS was probably locked a month or so ago, and it seems a little early for a major iPhone OS revision.

More likely, iPhone OS 4.0 will come out this summer (during its traditional time) and the tablet will be upgradeable to the new OS which would probably offer far more capabilities.
  • Reply 131 of 235
    A major ceo does not appear on a mid-day news show without being well briefed. This was planned. As noted at least once before in the thread - deals will be made in the next 16 hours to the benefit of the Apple shareholders.

And what have we really had confirmed that wasn't an almost certainty up until this disclosure:

1) it is a tablet.

- We know this, everyone knows this, the only people that don't know this have been way off the grid for the past 12 months.

2) it will do ebook-ish content, but better.

... of course, McGraw-Hill's content is on it. We all win, where all = { Apple, McGraw-Hill ... }

3) it runs iPhone OS.

- It builds on the eco-system Apple has built and those 80,000 apps and music and TV and movies and the delivery and payment system that we already know.

I'll offer a few thoughts on tomorrow's reveal.

- There will be a new version of iTunes, just like when the iPhone arrived.

- There will now be another tab (or two) in the iTunes Store - eBooks, eMags.

- There will be a multi-tasking OS, you will be able to leave Apps running on the tablet-top.

- It will be GSM capable, but sold without a contract. All iPhones are GSM, all iPhones have a SIM card, therefore every iPhone user can upgrade. Demand just got a little bigger.

- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and A2DP.

The big question to which I don't have a reasoned guess is - will there be support for a physical keyboard? And if there is a keyboard, then why not a mouse too? But then would it still be a tablet?
  • Reply 132 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I seriously doubt that. Not with the build up on this product.

iDunno. Has this even slightly changed things? No. The hype is just as fevered. Now add college kids and publishers and book nuts to the people interested.

CNN has 6 articles on Apple right now. Fox has 5. NYTimes has 6+. All on their tech pages.

That's a pre-req for front page postings tomorrow. Nobody wants to be the news source to miss the second coming. (which after the iPhone [jesus phone] launch...that's what this is)

Tomorrow morning talk shows will ALL plug Apple. (stock price, tablet, media convergence, macbooks, you name it)

Tomorrow lunch time east coast will be when every tech blog writer stops what they are doing.

When Steve Walks on stage, he'll have the entire tech reporting world following his every move. Exactly as planned. No-one will have stolen any thunder. The words Apple and Tablet show up in thousands of media outlets as of tonight. (and that's been the case long before MH)

iEnjoy these leaks and tomorrow iWatch with the rest of us to be amazed at the next thing Apple has decided iNeed.
  • Reply 133 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Nearly impossible. It's running the wrong CPU. Nobody will rewrite desktop apps for ARM processors. And then there's the limited RAM and storage on a handheld device.

Correct. The people who are dreaming about Final Cut, Logic, Photoshop, Aperture, etc. on the tablet have lost touch with reality.
  • Reply 134 of 235
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aldonius View Post

I would take "based on iPhone OS" as based on iPhone. I expect some new API's. Remember that the iPhone core is standard Darwin, minus the Java VM, print system and other irrelevant stuff, then Cocoa Touch over the top and optimise like crazy.

Yep a lot of legacy crap from Mac OS got deleted.

Quote:

Point is, there's plenty of room to expand before you hit Mac OS X.

It is important for people to realize that many of the APIs below Cocoa Touch are exactly the same as on Mac OS/X. I see that as a key to app development success on the iPhone. When people go about dissing Touch apps, it to me is a sure sign they don't know what they are talking about. There potential is only limited by the hardware they run on.

There are somethings that can be seen as limitations,within the OS, but the reality is there are two ways to look at everything. Apple just has different priorities for the OS and security plays a part here. In any event I'm actually impressed with the various apps I've downloaded.

Dave
  • Reply 135 of 235
    The tone of the comments is interesting. It sounds like everyone is upset that he leaked info that _should_ have come out of Steve's mouth.
  • Reply 136 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

My guess is that the tablet, if it ships in the spring, will run a version of iPhone OS 3.x (maybe 3.2 or 3.5, the minor number doesn't really matter). If it is already in a manufacturing ramp, the OS was probably locked a month or so ago, and it seems a little early for a major iPhone OS revision.

More likely, iPhone OS 4.0 will come out this summer (during its traditional time) and the tablet will be upgradeable to the new OS which would probably offer far more capabilities.

Or 3.2 is just the beta for version 4.
  • Reply 137 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

The tone of the comments is interesting. It sounds like everyone is upset that he leaked info that _should_ have come out of Steve's mouth.

it's obvious she didn't leak anything, it's all scripted and deliberate

had she leaked anything, she'd already be fired and killed by steve jobs's ninjas...
  • Reply 138 of 235
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Now this guy is on Fox too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADSFs...ayer_embedded#

And they cut the Apple tablet portion just now.

Steve is the almighty. He can censor fricking broadcast news and the Internet. Wow!
  • Reply 139 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

You're forgetting....

Steve is their GOD. Thou shalt not anger Steve.
  • Reply 140 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rwmarejka View Post

A major ceo does not appear on a mid-day news show without being well briefed. This was planned. As noted at least once before in the thread - deals will be made in the next 16 hours to the benefit of the Apple shareholders.

Maybe he wasn't briefed. The CEO may not have been in direct contact with Apple. Perhaps he is repeating what he heard from the people who were briefed. It did sound scripted though... maybe he gave out too much.