Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 241 of 785
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

The problem is that this is tooo much like an ipod touch and iphone.

I can do everything this can do on my iphone already. Its really only a bigger ipod touch.

It suffers from not having any features that cant be done on an iphone or ipod touch.

[CENTER]

The most compelling aspect of the iPad is the eReader/iWork combination, which allows a degree of productivity not afforded by the iPhone/Touch.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 242 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

WANT

And the price is right, too.

I'm shocked, as I bet everyone else is to read that from you....

I can't remember another time when Apple really failed to make a good case as to why someone would need this device, like today.
  • Reply 243 of 785
    Perfect Apple product launch.

This product will absolutely revolutionize our lives, and somehow, once again, many people don't see it. That keyboard dock is the big picture, there are many, many situations where i wont need to bring my laptop at all now. Going on vacation... why bring my big expensive laptop, i can can handle all my photos from the trip, write my journals and blogs on the trip, puruse the web and watch videos.

Going to class or a meeting? Why bring your whole laptop with its limited battery when you can just take notes on this slim little puppy.

The keyboard is epic! iWork is incredible. As Brushes showed, when third party developers get some time with this, photo manipulation software on this thing is going to be tight.

My laptop is now relegated to a desktop, useful for doing work all around the house/office, but too bulky to carry with me for everyday life.
  • Reply 244 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I agree, and disagree. I'm not ready to run out and buy one today, if ever, but the little 3.5" screen of our iPhones is a bit limiting for web browsing of any length, especially if you're in the over 40 crowd and small little screens don't focus that well any more.

But the ipad is too big to bring everywhere and also missing an attached keyboard.

Why bring this everywhere when i can get a 9 inch tablet / netbook that has a keyboard? One that can run full pc/(hacked apple osx) programs?

Apple would have done better making a netbook/convertable tablet.

This needed a revolutionary feature that they failed to deliver.
  • Reply 245 of 785
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

The problem is that this is tooo much like an ipod touch and iphone.

I can do everything this can do on my iphone already. Its really only a bigger ipod touch.

It suffers from not having any features that cant be done on an iphone or ipod touch.

What size monitor do you use? Why don't you use a smaller one?

What processor are you using? Why not a lesser one?

How much ram? Why not less?

These arguments make no sense at all. Why buy a laptop if a netbook can do everything a laptop can? I didn't see iWork for the iPhone announced either, and once developers get in on this there will be a slew of things the tablet can do that the iPhone and iPod touch can't due to a lack of screen real estate and processing power.
  • Reply 246 of 785
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]

The most compelling aspect of the iPad is the eReader/iWork combination, which allows a degree of productivity not afforded by the iPhone/Touch.

[/CENTER]

Precisely. It's essentially a larger iPod Touch with productivity capabilities. Those capabilities are really going to make themselves known with third-party apps.

I think this is a case where the world may yawn at first- but will quickly take notice as soon as the App Store rolls in with it's army of developers.
  • Reply 247 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

Perfect Apple product launch.

This product will absolutely revolutionize our lives, and somehow, once again, many people don't see it. That keyboard dock is the big picture, there are many, many situations where i wont need to bring my laptop at all now. Going on vacation... why bring my big expensive laptop, i can can handle all my photos from the trip, write my journals and blogs on the trip, puruse the web and watch videos.

Going to class or a meeting? Why bring your whole laptop with its limited battery when you can just take notes on this slim little puppy.

The keyboard is epic! iWork is incredible. As Brushes showed, when third party developers get some time with this, photo manipulation software on this thing is going to be tight.

My laptop is now relegated to a desktop, useful for doing work all around the house/office, but too bulky to carry with me for everyday life.

Why get this for more when i can do everything for cheaper on the tablet convertable netbooks that have built in keyboards? I can run full programs on them even run flash that this can't. Also can put osx on it if you like hacking.

This is proof that a lot of apple fans ignore existing products just because they dont have an apple logo on them.
  • Reply 248 of 785
    So how long before the Dev Team jailbreaks this iPad...?
  • Reply 249 of 785
    I would use this for remote desktop Mac or Windows if it runs the remote desktop iphone apps
  • Reply 250 of 785
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Like the price, not so impressed with the device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No new OS for the iPhone, no multitasking, no camera, stuck on AT&T's network for the time being. No thanks.

I wouldn't call it technically stuck since its unlocked, but it isn't compatible with T-Mobile's 1700mhz network and the other national carriers use CDMA.
  • Reply 251 of 785
    lol....it really is lame. Ok so you get the cheapest at $500 (with ONLY 16gb!!!!) add the probably $100 dock, $30 of iWork and now it's the price of the 3G enabled one at $630, do the same exercise for the $630 3G one and you are at $760 for the "cheap" model.

Really quite a joke. I knew it would be a big ipod touch with the added "revolution" of ebooks...and so I am not disappointed in the announcement. This was completely in line with expectations for me...it was always going to be a ridiculous joke.
  • Reply 252 of 785
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Where is my GOTT DANG MacBook Pro update?!
  • Reply 253 of 785
    no camera? NO CAMERA? WHAT!

It should have 2 cameras...really disappointed.
  • Reply 254 of 785
    Quote:

But the ipad is too big to bring everywhere and also missing an attached keyboard.

Why bring this everywhere when i can get a 9 inch tablet / netbook that has a keyboard? One that can run full pc/(hacked apple osx) programs?

Apple would have done better making a netbook/convertable tablet.

This needed a revolutionary feature that they failed to deliver.

We'l talk about this in a year. Convertible tablets have tried and failed so many times, the user experience just isn't there. Same with netbooks, underpowered hardware trying to run desktop programs.
  • Reply 255 of 785
    No multitasking is a deal-breaker. Putting iWork on the iPad without any way to quickly bounce back and forth between different apps/sources really hamstrings it. I echo others who say this is just a big iPod Touch right now.

Well, first gen Apple products are rarely the most succesful versions of their products, here's hoping second gen will offer enough that I want to buy.
  • Reply 256 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I agree. A camera and handwriting recognition - at a slightly higher price point, if needed - would have put it over the moon for me.
  • Reply 257 of 785
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    i'm going to wait for the iMaxiPad.

seriously though, they could have included some touch sensitive controls in that HUGE bezel - timeline scrub, volume up/down, scroll / game controls, etc.
  • Reply 258 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

No multitasking is a deal-breaker. Putting iWork on the iPad without any way to quickly bounce back and forth between different apps/sources really hamstrings it. I echo others who say this is just a big iPod Touch right now.

Well, first gen Apple products are rarely the most succesful versions of their products, here's hoping second gen will offer enough that I want to buy.

I'm surprised with the no multitasking, but hopeful that they are waiting to introduce it with iPhone OS 4.0. This device is still two months from shipping, things could change. V2 will definitely be better though.
  • Reply 259 of 785
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Finally boys its here!!!!!!!! but oh that big f.ing bezel, why oh why, I was ready to adore this thing, and maybe I will but that bezel....

Well... you do need some space to put your fingers while holding it, and keeping fingers on touch-sensitive screen (while obscuring view) would be a bit impractical, to my opinion. No matter how relatively light this thing is, it is still much bigger and heavier than iPhone, thus need better support for holding it.

I don't mind size and shape, but... while it is OK product, it didn't wow me even remotely close to iPhone. It is basically bigger screen ipod touch with some new services and better iWork compatibility. Hopefully there will be MS Office-compatible application (fully featured) which would make it more useful for me, but even with that - I don't see enough differentiation to iPhone, at least not for my needs.
  • Reply 260 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Just a large iTouch.

And 1024 x 768 ??? WTF? Is this 2007?

132DPI is pretty decent resolution for most practical purposes, but my guess is that the display resolution (as well as the size) will go up in a future revision and this is part of the reason for the large bezel. 10.1" displays with 1366x768 resolution do exist, but they are in 16:9 form factor, which is not that great for a tablet device that may be mainly used in portrait orientation (for reading books, etc.)