iPad... not finished?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
BGR brings up some excellent pointshttp://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...os-unfinished/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I had similar feelings after the announcement. Too many questions remain.

The main thought I had was, if we are allowed to use apps like iWork to create files and documents; where will these files be stored and moved? The current iPhone OS won't allow for document manipulation via folders and such. I could see an update to the OS before release that explains these types of issues. Multitasking and other may also be addressed with the update as well.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It's clear from the video in engadget's hand-on video that it's not done yet.

Search doesn't work on books, some itunes functions aren't working yet. Some gestures don't seem quite polished enough yet like on youtube, you do a pinch-unzoom to go back to the comments but rather than pinch zoom to go full-screen like you'd expect, it's tap and then hit maximize button.

It looks unfinished. Whether this implies iphone OS 4 is coming remains to be seen. Multitasking would be nice even in a limited form but I don't think it's going to affect the UI or function significantly. I don't think they would have demoed it so thoroughly if what we see now won't be what ships.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I'm not sure they demoed it very thoroughly. They looked at Calendar, Mail, iBook, iWork, YouTube, Photos, iTunes... nothing about the actual OS though. There were pretty huge changes in terms of the abilities of the apps they were showing with the iWork stuff. Are they really not going to make the same type of leap with the OS? He mentioned that we could set the desktop picture to whatever we wanted, but didn't even open the System Prefs to show us (not that I've read at least). The engadget videos show obvious "unfinishes" in multiple areas, so I'm thinking we haven't seen what the actual "iPad" OS will look like.

I'm fairly convinced that what we have seen of OS 3.2 is a temporary stepping stone until we get 4.0. It may not come until after the March launch, but I HAVE to think that they are going to do more with this hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmungall View Post

I'm fairly convinced that what we have seen of OS 3.2 is a temporary stepping stone until we get 4.0. It may not come until after the March launch, but I HAVE to think that they are going to do more with this hardware.

I think you're hitting the bullseye with this one. The iPad's may ship with 3.2 SDK but the "real" McCoy is going to be SDK 4.0. We all know it though some may wish to not read the tea leaves.

Multitasking is a software feature...it can come at anytime but likely it'll come with a large update. I somewhat understand why Apple is taking longer to bring MT to the mobile devices because historically having multiple software vendors mucking with memory complicates things.

Multitasking will come likely with improved Push Notifications as well plus a plethora of other benefits. Now the iPad and iPhone will both benefit.

I'm buying one. No the 4" screen of an iPhone isn't quite big enough for me to compute for hours. It's nice in a pinch (excuse the pun) but more screen is always welcome provided I can accommodate the extra space needed.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yes, it's not ready for prime-time. It's a work-in-progress for developers and consumers to be ready for their apps come March/April.

This should be self-evident.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

BGR brings up some excellent pointshttp://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...os-unfinished/

I really don't understand this product. The first thing I thought of when I saw it was "What took Apple so long to make this"?? At this point, the iPad is only a large version of the iPod Touch.

Regardless of whether the OS is ready or not, the hardware appears incomplete. No USB ports, no SD slots, no camera, etc. Even if iPhone OS 4.0 adds multitasking and other goodies, the hardware right now seems very limited...