Airport problems in 10.5.7

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A friend has a Macbook running 10.5.7 and I have a Pismo running 10.4.11. She has a Lynksys wireless router. My Pismo works correctly on her network. When she starts a browser it says that she is not connected to the internet. The Airport indicator in the upper right of screen is black and the network prefs recognizes the Lyksys router. But the Airport Utility does not recognize her router and sees a neighbor's N wireless router only instead. I was able to fix it but when I did a "test" reboot - the mess started again. Thoughts...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Does her network show up in the dropdown menu at all?

If it does, select it and see if see can go out onto the internet. (You do not need to do a reboot.) If she can you are going to have to go into the advance pane of the network system preference and remove the neighbors network from the list of preferred networks and move her network to the top of the list.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Does her network show up in the dropdown menu at all?

If it does, select it and see if see can go out onto the internet. (You do not need to do a reboot.) If she can you are going to have to go into the advance pane of the network system preference and remove the neighbors network from the list of preferred networks and move her network to the top of the list.

It does show the network at the top of the drop down list... When I went into Safari, it said that we were not connected to the internet! I went and made sure only the Lynskys network on automatic was there in the system prefs. I also went into the advance pane and it said ISP connection failed and so on... I am still perplexed as to why it would show a only a neighbor's network connection as if it were her's in the Airport Utility!