Apple denies iMac production halt as shipment times improve

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday officially denied that it has ceased production of its 27-inch iMac as some users have complained of screen flickering and discoloration. Also, the big-screen all-in-one desktop now has a ship time of two weeks.

Refuting a rumor from Monday that Apple had halted production of new iMacs until it could address screen issues, an Apple spokesperson stated to The Wall Street Journal that the new desktop Mac has been a "huge hit," and the company has been working to keep up with demand. The comment is essentially the same the company made in December, when it apologized for shipment delays.

The spokesman reportedly said that Apple "has continued while the company fixed the problems with flickering screens and yellow-tinted displays." The comments come a day after Apple released a second firmware fix that aims to address the flickering glitch that has plagued some new 27-inch iMac owners.

The first fix came in late December. But reports of screen issues continued to linger after the update was issued.

Though 27-inch iMac shipments have had a three-week wait since last month, their shipping time was adjusted Tuesday, and improved to just two weeks. The two-week wait applies to both the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo model and the 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 quad-core offering.

Also this week, an alleged internal document from Apple sent to support personnel detailed how to handle complaints of screen flickering and a yellowish tint.

Sales of the 27-inch iMac have been restricted for month, and the newly redesigned machine was the best-selling desktop in the U.S. when it debuted in the month of October. The smaller 21.5-inch model took the No. 1 position, while the large 27-inch iMac came in third in overall sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Everyone should know the huge risk they are taking with a all-in-one device like the iMac.

Say that monitor fails prematurely, like a week after your AppleCare or warranty expires, what can you do? Or what can you do if your hard drive fails? You'll find out fa$t!

There is a huge risk placing all your hardware eggs in one basket, longer down times, more expensive repairs and premature upgrades.

If you want a big screen Mac, get a Mac Pro and a large monitor. You'll be happier in the long run as parts are easily replaceable by yourself or someone who has the nerve to take the cover off. Also you can replace or remove the hard drive (and your private data) before taking the machine in for service.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    [deleted]
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Everyone should know the huge risk they are taking with a all-in-one device like the iMac.

Say that monitor fails prematurely, like a week after your AppleCare or warranty expires, what can you do? Or what can you do if your hard drive fails? You'll find out fa$t!

There is a huge risk placing all your hardware eggs in one basket, longer down times, more expensive repairs and premature upgrades.

So one shouldn't buy a laptop either? The monitor and motherboard in those aren't exactly user friendly to replace.

The risk is one I'm more than willing to take.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Purchased Core i5 iMac from store on January 5th and received a Week 52 machine later that day as the store got two machines delivered.

-No flickering arose until day 14 (or so) intermittent problems for 24 hours as machine got quite hot.

-Turned off for night roughly 12 hours

-No problems for another week then screen flicker and wacky stuff

-Put machine to sleep and have used since without trouble

-Installed second update today so far so good
  • Reply 5 of 22
    The ironic thing is that by the time Apple finally fixes the 27" iMac, catches up with demand and convinces the fence sitters that it's safe to buy one, a new model will be due out. Whether Apple actually releases such an update is hard to say because the iMac has been known to get no love for an entire year.

I'm short of disposable income right now so I've been able to sit back and watch the whole 27" saga unfold. By the time I've got enough money for an i7 it should be equipped with USB 3 ports and something more up-to-date than a Radeon 4xxx series GPU.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    I know a LOT of people with these machines, and no one with any issues. This must be a specific batch, specific manufacturer or something? Seems isolated and very much the minority of machines, with few showing quite the same symptoms.

Cracked glass I understand - delivery companies throw the boxes around like they're indestructible. But a few people have yellowing, some have flickering, some have both. For some the firmware updates have fixes it, for others no joy.

I understand Apple's frustration. They won't have let these into the wild if the problems had happened in house, and I get the feeling they're very difficult to replicate and therefore find the common factors which indicate common fixes.

That said, I love these units, they're incredible machines, but even one going wrong is a problem for Apple's rep'. Just a shame the way the media focus on even the slightest slip up from Apple, let alone an issue which has been so widespread, even if on a tiny minority of a large number of shipped units.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

So one shouldn't buy a laptop either? The monitor and motherboard in those aren't exactly user friendly to replace.

The risk is one I'm more than willing to take.

With the laptop there isn't a alternate choice to reduce risk, with the large screen iMac there is.

Plus a nice cool monitor is better on your desktop than some overheated all-in-one with it's fans going off in your face.

Reminds me of that annoying vacuum cleaner sounding eMac.

What a nasty machine that was.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Guess i'm lucky because i got my 27" iMac on Halloween and mine great
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

With the laptop there isn't a alternate choice to reduce risk, with the large screen iMac there is.

Plus a nice cool monitor is better on your desktop than some overheated all-in-one with it's fans going off in your face.

Hey, they are not that bad. I got a used one for my daughter and it is a little loud compared to my imac but more quite then my last dell tower.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Apple fixed the problem a week ago. What's the big deal?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have a 27" QC i7 and no problems. I ordered it a few days after they were available.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Calling the risk huge implies you know the iMac failure rate, which I suspect you do not know. As others have pointed out, the risk is much higher for laptops because they get moved often and the parts are smaller and more exposed to heat.

With any product you can buy a lemon. If you are risk adverse when buying a Mac, you buy added Apple protection that covers any defects for three years. You can reduce the risk further by purchasing a product that has been through more then one iteration and has been out for a while. That gives time for manufacturing kinks to be worked out.

For what it is worth, I have had three iMac with no issues. The only Mac I had a problem with is the old G3 iBook that was plagued with logic board issues. Apple to it's credit replaced my logic board free three times, one time five years after first purchasing the machine.

Quote:

If you want a big screen Mac, get a Mac Pro and a large monitor. You'll be happier in the long run as parts are easily replaceable by yourself or someone who has the nerve to take the cover off. Also you can replace or remove the hard drive (and your private data) before taking the machine in for service.

• Reply 13 of 22
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Obviously, you haven't used the new iMac. You can barely hear the fan. It hardly comes on. My step father just bought one, and it is the quietest machine I have ever been exposed to.

The Mac Pro is a great machine, but it takes up a lot of room, costs a lot for most people, and it is loud. Further, until Apple updates it, it is underpowered for the money in comparison to the high end iMac.

Quote:

• Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Plus a nice cool monitor is better on your desktop than some overheated all-in-one with it's fans going off in your face..

Still, if you're worry about warning people about the dangers of the AIOs, you should be warning them about the laptops. Many people buy laptops and park them in one place - a desktop would suit them just fine.

Fans going off in your face...?

I've got 2 iMacs in my office. The office is silent. The only time there's a fan noise is when I need to fire up my old PC tower.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

nut job

the imac

all

imacs

are flawless all in one great devices from day one ..

go suck some eggs you glossy shiny TINFFOIL hat on your head

oh no oh no

i am reflecting !!! i am reflecting !!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

If you want a big screen Mac, get a Mac Pro and a large monitor.

Would love to get a Mac Pro with two cinema displays, but they are so expensive!
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I have just ordered (Feb 1st 2010) my first Mac computer (I am a Windows user as long as Windows has existed). Its an iMac 27, i5. I was given a three week time for shipment and delivery before March 2nd. They also debited my Visa card within minutes of me putting in the order online! Greedy boys. I expected the money to be taken when they were shipping. I now read about the screen issues for the first time and I'm really worried I'll get an expensive good looking bundle of problems. Thinking of opting out of any further Apple experience. I was not impressed with the hype over the iPad either. Apple really shot themselves in the foot with their fantastic, awesome, ground breaking hype.

Cheers,

Paul.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biology View Post

Thinking of opting out of any further Apple experience.

Do it. You can get a much better machine for a lot less money elsewhere.

[Fanboi Cue: Redefine "better".]
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s)

by the date that you were originally quoted:

Z0GF, IMAC 27"/4850-512MB

will now ship on or before

Jan 29, 2010

The order was placed on Jan. 5th. Still haven't gotten it. It's like a kind of torture.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biology View Post

Thinking of opting out of any further Apple experience.

So, you haven't even gotten the machine yet, and you're already so 'worried' that you are giving up on Apple altogether? *That's* rational...