Battery Life Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So all my friends that have a mac have completely split views on how to make my battery last longer at peak performance

party#1: keep the computer plugged in as much as possible, this keeps the charge cycles down, therefore giving battery longer life.

party#2: keep it plugged as little as possible, battery is trainable and the less you charge the more the battery will last in the long run, dont use plugged in, drain turn off and full charge again.

the reality is that none of us is a computer or battery genius, these theories come from word of mouth and supposed practice.

my question if it isnt clear upto now is which method is better to preserve the battery for as long as possible, both last longer between charges and have a longer battery life cycle before replacement.

any opinion both profesional and a random thought is welcome, just curious not a serious issue

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Apple (check the support pages) has recommendations for battery maintenance. It's dependent on the model of your computer... the newer batteries are of a different design than older ones and behave differently regarding charging/maintenance.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    thanks, checked out support for my mbp and they have nice tips and helps explain how the technology works. Turns out that there is a battery full charging and draining technique that serves as maintenance for the battery system, for both battery life and battery lifespan.

thanks a lot, gonna perform the maintenance right now!