Use timemachine to back up info on an external hard drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey,

I keep my documents (music, word files etc.) on an external hard drive and only have applications on my internal hd. I was wondering if I could use time machine to back up the docs on my external in case something happens to it. I have two external HDs, one for timemachine and one for my docs.

I know that I could just copy the docs to the time machine HD but I wouldn't know if I was overlaping already existing files.

Thanks

ET\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syrinx32123 View Post

hey,

I keep my documents (music, word files etc.) on an external hard drive and only have applications on my internal hd. I was wondering if I could use time machine to back up the docs on my external in case something happens to it. I have two external HDs, one for timemachine and one for my docs.

I know that I could just copy the docs to the time machine HD but I wouldn't know if I was overlaping already existing files.

No, Time Machine creates a new folder on the target external HD ? next to already existing files and folders ? named "Backups.backupdb" in which it places the data files until that disk runs out of space.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Yes, it will. By default non-Time Machine external drives are automatically put into the "Exclude" Time Machine Preferences. So all you need to do is open Time Machine Preferences>Options and remove the non-Time Machine external drive