Apple seen moving 2M iPads in 2010 before sales 'catalyst' emerges

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

And since you don't live in the USA, you don't know how things work. People have to set up their own Wi-Fi networks with their own wireless routers in the USA...and you need a computer for that.

That's not necessarily true. Most wireless routers are preconfigured for DHCP access out of the box. All you have to do is plug the router in and if the "device" is smart enough, it should see the network. It is true to make any changes you need to log into the router, but even then, you still don't need a computer, just a device with a web browser. I've set up a lot of routers from my iPhone... no "computer" required.
  • Reply 62 of 164
    These will sell like hotcakes, they will take some time obviously to reach full momentum but I expect fantastic sales.
  • Reply 63 of 164
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I doubt a lot of real power users will find a use for this iPad device for themselves.

Well I consider myself a 'power user' but there are times when I don't need to do 'power user' tasks and don't necessarily need a 'power user' computer. However, even on my iPhone I can SSH into my web server and get stuff done when I need to.
  • Reply 64 of 164
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

You're a idiot.

Hm, you might want to rephrase that before the illideraz take notice
  • Reply 65 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

5)I challenge any scenario, employing the methods I detailed above, where the iPad can not be a stand-alone product.

All ears?

You have no clue what you are talking about. The first thing you have to do to activate your iPod Touch sync it with iTunes. This will be the same with the iPad seeing all your online books will be purchased using iTunes.

Also how do you backup your iPod Touch or iPhone without the use of a computer or iTunes?
  • Reply 66 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Really? Are you sure about that? You cannot use an iPad without already owning a Mac or PC computer, and having a WiFi network at home (people are not going to buy the 3G model to use solely at home). How do you expect to get anything into it without having a computer, and knowing how to operate said computer? How is a computer illiterate going to be able to get on the internet if they are too stupid to know how to set up a WiFi network to make it work? They might be able to tap a few icons, but they won't be able to do anything with it. Nice try.

The iPad is NOT something that can replace a computer. Most iPhone and laptop owners will have no interest in the iPod Touch Grande. I would rather use a laptop and have a COMPLETE internet experience, without the hobbled iPad. Also, the iPad doesn't fit well as a family device since it does not offer multiple user login.

Oh man, you are so wrong. You are right in that a complete technophobe can't go out an buy it and set it up him or herself. But given that they will get some help in setting it up, like they would a new TV with a cable box, they will be able to use it without too many problems. The iPad will never replace a computer for you, but for many it can. It has all that most users use on a daily basis and one thing that no-one uses that I have ever met, is multiple user logins. I have set it up on our family imac and no-one ever bothers. What you have to realize is that for the average user the computers are a pain to operate. the interface is messy and archaic.
  • Reply 67 of 164
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You have no clue what you are talking about. The first thing you have to do to activate your iPod Touch sync it with iTunes. This will be the same with the iPad seeing all your online books will be purchased using iTunes.

Also how do you backup your iPod Touch or iPhone without the use of a computer or iTunes?

Back ups are not part of the day to day function of this device, but I guess you could always plug in an external hard drive, or back up to an SD card.

You don't 'need' to sync to itunes if you don't have a computer, it runs it's own version of iTunes with full access to the store.

The device does not need 'activating', it is not a phone, it is not subject to any contract.

You need an internet connection to register a device on line, if you want to - oh yes - it has one of those.

Why don't people get that this is a new device category and it can absolutely stand alone. my dad has an iPhone, he does not have a computer. Go figure.
  • Reply 68 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Oh man, you are so wrong. You are right in that a complete technophobe can't go out an buy it and set it up him or herself. But given that they will get some help in setting it up, like they would a new TV with a cable box, they will be able to use it without too many problems. The iPad will never replace a computer for you, but for many it can. It has all that most users use on a daily basis and one thing that no-one uses that I have ever met, is multiple user logins. I have set it up on our family imac and no-one ever bothers. What you have to realize is that for the average user the computers are a pain to operate. the interface is messy and archaic.

I'm half in agreement with you, but I'm betting a complete technophobe can set this up on their own - providing they don't need to configure pop/imap email accounts. A hotmail/mobileme/google email user who uses only hotmail/mobileme/googlemail for email will be able to do this a breeze.

Turn on.

Hit web browsing button

Go to hotmail/me.com/google

Username - password.

Done.
  • Reply 69 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wolf noted that the demand for iPods and iPhones did not accelerate until "the arrival of a catalyst" for each of the products. For the iPod, it was the opening of the iTunes Music Store and porting of the media suite to Windows in 2003. And for the iPhone, it was the release of the software development kit and opening of the App Store in 2008. What the catalyst will be for the iPad, Wolf said, remains to be seen.

I don't know how Wolf could have been so perceptive to see the importance of a catalyst, and yet too blind to see that the iPad's catalyst is already in place. It is the $15 per month G3 dataplan (or the $30 plan for heavier users).

The iPad comes to us with a degree of mobility we've not seen in the past in this price range. Mom can use it as an eReader or to watch a TV program. Dad can take it to the lake house on the weekend. Connectivity and versatility means great value for the price. That could be a bigger catalyst than we've seen to date for Apple's other products.
  • Reply 70 of 164
    The iPad won't replace the iPod touch. If anything, the iPhone replaces the iPod touch.

I've got an iPod touch, but when they release the next iPhone in the middle of this year, I'm gonna get it, and that'll replace my iPod touch. The iPad it waaaaay too big to be used as an MP3 player on the road.
  • Reply 71 of 164
    Quote:

I doubt a lot of real power users will find a use for this iPad device for themselves.

Of course I'll use one. Most power users will be excited by this device, believe me. If you are saying that power users won't replace their work horse machine for the iPad, you are right, but get one? Top of the wish list, mate. Can you imagine how many webyfied power app front ends this thing will run? Like daylite, or similar. Instead of firing up the old laptop when you are with clients, or in the car, or some such, this thing will be far superior. So yes, power users will use this both for business and pleasure.
  • Reply 72 of 164
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    This will sell a lot in the Apple Store, but maybe not so well online, because everything I've read so far from people that have played with the device is entirely positive, yet the hate from people who haven't tried it is immense.

I can't comment on the sales volumes. The option of a $499 variant is going to help shift product, especially with a likely 5000+ iPad optimised apps from day 1 in the store, and tens of thousands a few months down the line.

I don't know what the best version to get is myself. There could be too much choice!
  • Reply 73 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I'm half in agreement with you, but I'm betting a complete technophobe can set this up on their own - providing they don't need to configure pop/imap email accounts. A hotmail/mobileme/google email user who uses only hotmail/mobileme/googlemail for email will be able to do this a breeze.

Turn on.

Hit web browsing button

Go to hotmail/me.com/google

Username - password.

Done.

Ummm.... yeah, maybe, but you need to try and help some completely computer illiterate person check their email first. Not only is it unbelievably frustrating but also a real eyeopener. Like when a window disappears behind another... I have seen people just give up at this point and hit the on off button on their computer in order to resolve this problem. But yes, if they are accustomed to using hotmail and have a router all set up, then yeah.
  • Reply 74 of 164
    Quote:

Apples marketing slogan used to be "Think Different".

It's a bit sad to see the lack of imagination. People can only view this as a replacement for something - they can't see that it's a new level of device.

I'll be ordering them for photographers in the field. Shoot - transfer to iPad to have a nice look and email them back to the office. There's one "power user" application that took me about ten seconds of looking at the iPad pages on the Apple web site to come up with.

Do people really have such little imagination?

it's not a replacement anything, it's something new. There's no comparison to be had, there's nothing to replace. It doesn't eat into iPod sales as a music player, it doesn't eat into laptop or desktop sales as a serious work horse, it doesn't do what a netbook supposedly does. It's Different.

Think different.
  • Reply 75 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Ummm.... yeah, maybe, but you need to try and help some completely computer illiterate person check their email first. Not only is it unbelievably frustrating but also a real eyeopener. Like when a window disappears behind another... I have seen people just give up at this point and hit the on off button on their computer in order to resolve this problem. But yes, if they are accustomed to using hotmail and have a router all set up, then yeah.

Absolutely, but the 'average joe' (to coin an american phrase) will be able to turn this on and browse the internet. It would take a whole new level of stupid to not even be able to do that.

PS. I spend all day every day helping stupid clients with their computer 'issues', not that it's part of my job description. I blame windows ENTIRELY for the level of fear people have about computers, and the mental barriers they have in place which prevent them from being comfortable to experiment and teach themselves basic computing practice.
  • Reply 76 of 164
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Well I know I'm buying two in April, so that means it will sell well...

• Reply 77 of 164
    I think most of the discussion so far has been regarding the super-sizing of existing iPhone apps. But Apple's entire suite of iWork apps should set the bar much higher. Keynote has gone from OS X Jaguar all the way up through Snow Leopard, and is now ported to the iPad. To me this gives *great* promise for every other native OS X app out there. I'd hate to see what MS Office looked like on the iPad but it's theoretically possible. And that is the elephant in the room -- full apps on the iPad. Sure, Google Maps on a larger screen will be awesome, but any app that is usable by small-to-medium businesses extends the iPad into whole new markets. And wait till the cool executives start toting one into the boardroom......Enterprise envy could be large. Keynote vs. Powerpoint.

I wouldn't even try to speculate on sales figures, except that Apple's own targets will be exceeded and a few years from now the total number of iPads in the wild will exceed most numbers any pundit has thrown out there.

It's the mobile touch computing revolution, after all...
  • Reply 78 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Any costly device would send the same message, so your sarcasm is not illuminating.

Not so- you can discreetly view an iPhone but not the MaxiPad.
  • Reply 79 of 164
    Personally, I agree with Munster that this will slow burn in 2010, then take off in 2011. The primary area where the Needham guy is missing the bigger picture (in my opinion) is that iPad is all about "It's the Platform, Stupid," and the platform has 140K apps and 100K+ developers already building around it. That's a lot of built in lift-off, and this is one of those "rising tide lifts all boats" things.

That said, it will take some time for developers to figure out how best to partition their development activities between two form factors (iPhone/iPod touch and iPad). Plus, developers won't even have hardware to test against until end of March when iPad ships. By contrast, when iPhone SDK went beta, developers had already been using iPhones/iPod touches for several months.

While I do believe that Apple is working on an iPad-specific catalyst (best guess tied to Re-booting the print media business, then growing into TV Anywhere, and Apple TV revamp within this same platform), it just seems that that will take a bit longer to materialize.

If interested, here is some further analysis on the prospects for iPad:

Check Mate: Apple's iPad and Google's Next Move

http://bit.ly/9MZQM2

Cheers,

Mark
  • Reply 80 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Apples marketing slogan used to be "Think Different".

It's a bit sad to see the lack of imagination. People can only view this as a replacement for something - they can't see that it's a new level of device.

Do people really have such little imagination?

The issue is that the people here are largely fanboys living in a gadget dreamworld where the laws of physics and economics of consumer electronics manufacturing have been suspended.

Apple Inc. is thinking different. The fanboys on most of the tech forums are completely detached with reality.

Two different things.