Apple seeds new Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with OpenGL improvements

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday evening equipped developers with yet another build of its upcoming maintenance and security update for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard that includes few changes from an earlier build distributed two weeks ago.

People familiar with the matter say Mac OS X 10.6.3 build 10D548 was distributed alongside an enhancement and focus list nearly identical to build 10D538, which made its way to a small subset of developers last month, as AppleInsider exclusively reported.

The only distinguishable change noted in documentation, those people say, was a request by the Mac maker for its developers to add iCal and printing functions to their evaluation efforts, alongside AirPort, QuickTime and graphics drivers. A prior emphasis on VoiceOver was reportedly not extended to build 10D548.

Both builds include an update to QuickTime X that, when finalized, will improve security and compatibility while simultaneously enhancing overall reliability. The betas will also include tweaks that aim to enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite. Other bundled improvements include better compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications.

Apple reportedly listed no known issues with build 10D548, which now weighs in at 773MB as a Delta distribution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 99
    Hopefully it's very close now. I'm tired of sudden reboots, bring it out already!
  • Reply 2 of 99
    Beta Bait!

Little big bird told me new MacBook Pro's coming soon.
  • Reply 3 of 99
    Quicktime X fixed finally- my fingers are crossed.
  • Reply 4 of 99
    Only the third update and we're already up to 773MB. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Snow Leopard will be the first OS X to cross the 1GB size in delta updates by the time we get up to 10.6.8 or whatever the last update will be. Even the still popular Windows XP can completely fit in a CD with room to spare.
  • Reply 5 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

Only the third update and we're already up to 773MB. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if Snow Leopard will be the first OS X to cross the 1GB size in delta updates by the time we get up to 10.6.8 or whatever the last update will be. Even the still popular Windows XP can completely fit in a CD with room to spare.

Do you realize that updates don't necessarily add to the OS size because it REPLACES files, rather than add to them?
  • Reply 6 of 99
    Cant be any worse than it currently is. Worst decision ever was to instal Snow Leotard. Ruined 3 perfectly decent computers, slowed them down to unusable speeds (SL faster?! my ass). Oh and the UI changes piss me off daily.

Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla

Spent the entirety of last week fixing my main computer because the OS corrupted.

I'm really not happy with Apple at the mo.
  • Reply 7 of 99
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Cant be any worse than it currently is. Worst decision ever was to instal Snow Leotard. Ruined 3 perfectly decent computers, slowed them down to unusable speeds (SL faster?! my ass). Oh and the UI changes piss me off daily.

Not to mention my new macbook pro with that stupid no-button trackpad. The bad positioning of the off button (where I hold it). The god awful shiny screen. Bla

Spent the entirety of last week fixing my main computer because the OS corrupted.

I'm really not happy with Apple at the mo.

Next time look before you buy.

BTW, Snow Leopard has been very good for me.
  • Reply 8 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Next time look before you buy.

BTW, Snow Leopard has been very good for me.

I presume your referring to the gloss screen. I didn't have much choice. I needed a cheap temporary computer because my old laptop was stolen. And so I bought the first thing that turned up at the refurb store.

I'm waiting for the next revision.

Personally I don't think Apple should make shiny screens full stop.
  • Reply 9 of 99
    My only gripes with Snow Leopard are:

A.) the killing of the Adobe Acrobat Pro printer driver

B.) mysterious, USB related (apparently) grey-screen crashes

Other than that, Snow Leopard's been a good, solid performer.

If 10.6.3 fixes the crashes, I'll be satisfied.
  • Reply 10 of 99
    [QUOTE=Hudson1;1567251Snow Leopard has been very good for me.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't it make you nuts when you admit you have a problem and someone chimes in with "I've never had a problem!!"

I got Snow Leopard for Christmas and was going to do a clean install, but I didn't want to take the time. So I finally put it on top of Leopard a week ago.

Safari, mail and Garageband have all crashed on me this week. And I keep my iMac pure, very few non Apple apps. I'll ignore the problem for a while and see what happens. If it keeps up, I guess I'll do a fresh install. A nuke and pave as it is sometimes called.

BTW, I've never dropped a call with AT&T, I've never had flicker on my I7 iMac, I've never seen my reflection in my glossy screen, and I've never had a woman turn me down.
  • Reply 11 of 99
    No problems here. Dropped calls on AT&T? Yep. Rejected by women? No. That's why it's best to pay them by the hour. Paying them to leave is the way to go.
  • Reply 12 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Doesn't it make you nuts when you admit you have a problem and someone chimes in with "I've never had a problem!!"

I got Snow Leopard for Christmas and was going to do a clean install, but I didn't want to take the time. So I finally put it on top of Leopard a week ago.

Safari, mail and Garageband have all crashed on me this week. And I keep my iMac pure, very few non Apple apps. I'll ignore the problem for a while and see what happens. If it keeps up, I guess I'll do a fresh install. A nuke and pave as it is sometimes called.

BTW, I've never dropped a call with AT&T, I've never had flicker on my I7 iMac, I've never seen my reflection in my glossy screen, and I've never had a woman turn me down.

Make sure you update flash. The one that shipped with the disk is buggy.
  • Reply 13 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Do you realize that updates don't necessarily add to the OS size because it REPLACES files, rather than add to them?

You still have to download the 773MB, don't you?
  • Reply 14 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Have you tried running maintenance software like onyx ?

I have SL on two macs, and so far I have only had few issues with them. (Some app crashes, but some of them were due to plugins)
  • Reply 15 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

No problems here. Dropped calls on AT&T? Yep. Rejected by women? No. That's why it's best to pay them by the hour. Paying them to leave is the way to go.

I'm shocked, with an iPhone aren't you supposed to get all the women you want for free? Thats what happens to me anyway.....

No dropped calls for me on AT&T in the Boston area, they've really been very good around here.
  • Reply 16 of 99
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Does it fix one of the most irritating bugs in Snow Leopard? In previous versions, OS X wouldn't wake up a printer until you actually sent it a file for printing. In Snow Leopard, it wakes up printers any time you display the print window, even though nine times out of ten I want to save a PDF file rather than print. Very irritating.

Apple should do one of these ASAP:

1. Restore things to like they were before.

2. (Second best) Give us a preference to wake or not wake printers when the Print window is displayed.

3. (Best) Make what the PDF button in the Print window displays into a pull-down menu option under the File menu. It'd save trouble and time and bypass the printer wake problem.
  • Reply 17 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

And so I bought the first thing that turned up at the refurb store.

Well there's your problem!

Refurb or not, you bought a product without knowing for certain what you were getting. There's only one person responsible for that mistake. Computers or crab legs, know what you're getting before you put your money down on the table.
  • Reply 18 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Not when using software update I believe. If you can't connect the mac to a network I guess you will need to download the whole thing.
  • Reply 19 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

So what? Unless you are living under a rock somewhere, you should have a pretty speedy Internet connection, so who cares. Even if you had to download it overnight, what's the big deal?
  • Reply 20 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

I think the point still stands...there's 773 MB worth of changes since 10.6.2. It's possible that not all the change apply to your particular installation, I think.

Also, don't the developer seeds tend to be rather large with inclusion of debugging code or something developer-specific?