iPhone OS 3.1.3 sees 14% adoption in 6 days, new hack released

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new study has found that 14 percent of iPhone users upgraded to iPhone OS 3.1.3 in less than a week of availability, while a new hack to exploit Apple's latest update has been released.

Released last Tuesday, iPhone OS 3.1.3 was a minor update, bringing a battery reporting fix, fixing an issue where third-party applications would not launch, and patching a number of security holes. In its first six days of release, an estimated 14 percent of users opted to upgrade, mobile ad group Medialets reported Monday.

As of Feb. 6, most iPhone users -- 72.3 percent -- were still running iPhone OS 3.1.2, while 3.1.1 has 0.8 percent of users, and 3.1.0 has 4.6 percent. About 13 percent of total users are running a version prior to 3.1.2.

The company also noted that it saw a 13 percent drop in installs of 3.1.2, meaning 87 percent of the upgrades to iPhone OS 3.1.3 came from users who were already running the latest version of the mobile operating system.

The statistics were obtained through developers' applications the service tracks through the App Store.

Following the release of the latest iPhone OS upgrade, the Dev Team, which is the leading group of hackers that work to "jailbreak" the iPhone and allow users to run unauthorized code, released their latest hacking tool. Dubbed PwnageTool 3.1.5, the Mac OS X software allows users to upgrade to Apple's latest release while preserving a jailbreak and carrier unlock.

Last summer, the first jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 3GS was released. Apple later quietly updated the iPhone 3GS to thwart potential hackers, but a workaround was discovered in November.

Last year, Apple posted a job listing to hire a new iPhone OS security manager to help lock down its mobile operating system. While jailbreaking an iPhone can allow unauthorized capabilities such as multitasking and custom wallpapers, it can also be used to pirate software from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The scary thing is coming across so many people that have never updated any iPhone they have since they bought it. I have found many, especially PC users.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    My desk is such a mess, I don't know where my sync cable is \
  • Reply 3 of 65
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    The auto update only run like once a month (I think), it'll take a while for everyone to know about the upgrade.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

The auto update only run like once a month (I think), it'll take a while for everyone to know about the upgrade.

I plugged my iPhone into my iMac to sync some stuff and it instantly alerted me of the available update.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    The Great iPhone/iPod/iPad Fragmentation continues . . . .
  • Reply 6 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) I hope the iPod Touch gets on the free iPhone OS update path. I think it would be financially beneficial as the update allows for newer apps to be bought and less time supporting older OSes.

2) With this update you no longer need to jailbreak or unlock to enable tethering.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

My desk is such a mess, I don't know where my sync cable is \

Been there done that. It would be nice if this could be done via wifi too.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I hope the iPod Touch gets on the free iPhone OS update path. I think it would be financially beneficial as the update allows for newer apps to be bought and less time supporting older OSes.

2) With this update you no longer need to jailbreak or unlock to enable tethering.

I totally missed the tethering ability! Quick idiots 'how to' guide please.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    With every second word in the jailbreak-related portion of the article being "hacker", "exploit" or "unauthorized", I was 100% sure Dan Dilger had written it. I was shocked to see he got Katie Marsal doing it too, unless she happens to be "Prince McLean"'s sister.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Been there done that. It would be nice if this could be done via wifi too.

Yeah that would be nice. I had thought that the iPad would at least have wireless sync, but I guess not. Oh well. I have a sync cable in my truck (for charging it) if I really want to install the update, but I should really just clean my desk up.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    How does one avoid updating?

The process is so easy and painless. I was alerted as soon as I plugged my iPhone in. Is there a large group of people who don't sync their iPhone with their PC?
  • Reply 12 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I totally missed the tethering ability! Quick idiots 'how to' guide please.

Go to help.benm.at on your iPhone. However, as stated when you go to the site on your iPhone some people are having a problem with their AT&T profile. I'm one of them. They're working on it. Note that the site isn' the same if you access from Mac OS X.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    tekstudtekstud Posts: 351member
    I missed the multitasking updater.

Oh that's not until June?????
  • Reply 14 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    In fact this update seems to result in a slightly better iPhone experience. It makes me wonder if other things where fixed. So far it seems to be a smart reccomendation.

I did get an unusual hang on one of the virtual keyboards in Safari but I don't know if it is a chronic problem.

In any event here is to Apple moving forward with iPhone OS.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The Great iPhone/iPod/iPad Fragmentation continues . . . .

Huh?

It's just an update to the same OS.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

With every second word in the jailbreak-related portion of the article being "hacker", "exploit" or "unauthorized", I was 100% sure Dan Dilger had written it. I was shocked to see he got Katie Marsal doing it too, unless she happens to be "Prince McLean"'s sister.

What exactly is wrong with such wording?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3743

As designed by Apple, the iPhone OS ensures that the iPhone and iPod touch operate reliably. Some customers have not understood the risks of installing software that makes unauthorized modifications to the iPhone OS ("jailbreaking") on their iPhone or iPod touch. Customers who have installed software that makes these modifications have encountered numerous problems in the operation of their hacked iPhone or iPod touch. . . .

Apple strongly cautions against installing any software that hacks the iPhone OS. It is also important to note that unauthorized modification of the iPhone OS is a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement and because of this, Apple may deny service for an iPhone or iPod touch that has installed any unauthorized software.

• Reply 17 of 65
    My wife is one of those (all too common) people that NEVER plugs her iPhone into her computer. Unless I tell her that an update is available AND plug the thing in myself, she isn't updating.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    As the dev team say: there?s no reason to update to 3.1.3. And they are so correct.

Quote:

The scary thing is coming across so many people that have never updated any iPhone they have since they bought it. I have found many, especially PC users.

Even if that was true, I can understand them. You can only update in iTunes and that thing is a dirty pig on windows; it is a horrible experience.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    I still haven't updated mine to 3.1.3.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shunnabunich View Post

If you're going to attempt to slam Dilger, then please get it right. He hammers Microsoft and all pundits who trash Apple. Hackers, exploiters and unauthorized, not so much.