Has Aperture 3 been crippled?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This is from the launching press release:

Quote:

Aperture 3 runs as a 64-bit application on Mac OS X Snow Leopard on Macs with Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

Does that mean that Aperture 3 won't run as a 64-bit app under OSX.6 on quad-core machines (like the top-of-the-line i5 iMac)? They can't be serious!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Calm down!!

It is beyond likely just a poor choice of terminology from Apple, when they really meant it will run in 64-bit in 10.6 on any 64-bit capable processor, including the new i5/i7 quads. There is no reason I'm aware of why it wouldn't. I can't confirm this myself but doubtless someone else will imminently.

Hardly worth the alarming "cripple" thread title.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    LOL @ Rokcet Scientist.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

It is beyond likely just a poor choice of terminology from Apple, when they really meant it will run in 64-bit in 10.6 on any 64-bit capable processor, including the new i5/i7 quads.

The typical professional corporate press release is extremely carefully worded, s.metcalf. It is typically cross-checked and cross-read (out loud) by at least 8 pairs of closely involved people twice who have been trained for years in the esoteric art of press release composition. A mistake is a great rarity.

Best assume that what is in a press release is meant to be in that press release! That is why it's a press release...

What is interesting about press releases is what isn't in them!

Quote:

There is no reason I'm aware of why it wouldn't. I can't confirm this myself but doubtless someone else will imminently.

So you're guessing, while my O.P. is based on Apple's own press release of yesterday morning...

Thanks, I appreciate your soothing words, but I'll stay apprehensive for a little while longer if you don't mind. Until facts are reported.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

The typical professional corporate press release is extremely carefully worded, s.metcalf. It is typically cross-checked and cross-read (out loud) by at least 8 pairs of closely involved people twice who have been trained for years in the esoteric art of press release composition. A mistake is a great rarity.

Best assume that what is in a press release is meant to be in that press release! That is why it's a press release...

What is interesting about press releases is what isn't in them!

So you're guessing, while my O.P. is based on Apple's own press release of yesterday morning...

Thanks, I appreciate your soothing words, but I'll stay apprehensive for a little while longer if you don't mind. Until facts are reported.

I never said I knew! Just that I'd find it almost beyond belief that Apple's highest performing machines couldn't run a 64-bit app when an old Core 2 Duo could...especially given that i5/i7 MacBook Pros are supposedly just around the corner...

If it were true the press would have a field day....

Surely someone reading this forum has a new iMac or Mac Pro and can install the trial for us!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

I suppose you'd need documentation that the sky is blue?