Apple seeds yet another Mac OS X 10.6.3 beta with minor changes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The second beta in four days for Mac OS X 10.6.3, Apple's forthcoming maintenance and security update for its Snow Leopard operating system, was delivered to developers this week.

Build 10D552 was reportedly issued Tuesday evening, soon after last Friday's release of build 10D548. Both remain nearly identical to build 10D538, released to developers in January.

The latest update, people familiar with the matter say, narrows the focus areas down to three: AirPort, GraphicsDrivers and QuickTime. Focus areas in included last week's build, iCal and Printing, have reportedly been eliminated.

All three builds include an update to QuickTime X that, when finalized, will improve security and compatibility while simultaneously enhancing overall reliability. The betas will also include tweaks that aim to enhance the performance of Apple's 64-bit Logic pro audio suite. Other bundled improvements include better compatibility with third-party printers and OpenGL-grounded applications.

Build 10D552 reportedly has no known issues listed by Apple. The download weighs in at 737.2MB. It is the fifth beta release of Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I think the article should say build 10D552. Not 522. Unless this build is from Ork.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Before the complaining about SL ("I'm glad I stayed on Jaguar!") and the wrongly directed bug reports ("This update is useless unless they fix my unique flickering in Address Book!") start - could someone who has actually used this build check on the OpenGL extensions and see if 3.0/3.1/3.2 support has improved?

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2010/01/...or-open-gl-3-0

• Reply 3 of 23
    I wonder if apple will ever add 64bit support for the Apple USB modem, it looks like it got missed or purposely left out again \
  • Reply 4 of 23
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    This version is reported to fix Virtual machine/USB noise errors affecting Parallels, Fusion, and VirtualBox if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Some sort of release has gotta be around the corner. I'm guessing Friday
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Some sort of release has gotta be around the corner. I'm guessing Friday

Too soon. Maybe in 2 weeks.

Adi
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacquesass View Post

Before the complaining about SL ("I'm glad I stayed on Jaguar!") and the wrongly directed bug reports ("This update is useless unless they fix my unique flickering in Address Book!") start - could someone who has actually used this build check on the OpenGL extensions and see if 3.0/3.1/3.2 support has improved?

You can download GLView here.

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

See if the compatibility improves.

On 9400m and 10.6.2, 3.0 support is currently 65% 3.1 is 12% and 3.2 is 11%

The snapshot you posted seems to be from the 10.6.3 update.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I think we'll see it within 3 weeks.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

See if the compatibility improves.

On 9400m and 10.6.2, 3.0 support is currently 65% 3.1 is 12% and 3.2 is 11%

The snapshot you posted seems to be from the 10.6.3 update.

Exactly. That snapshot is from one of the earlier 10.6.3 builds - there's hope that 3.0 could hit 100% by 10.6.3 final (and 3.1 and 3.2 could further improve toward 100%...).

I don't have access to the betas, so I can't personally check. I'm hoping someone with developer access could enlighten us on this latest build...
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

I wonder if apple will ever add 64bit support for the Apple USB modem, it looks like it got missed or purposely left out again \

A year from now it'll all be Light Peak. Apple and Intel are ignoring everything USB.

Purposely left out I think.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Graphic Drivers for Snow Leopard... finally.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Build 10D552 reportedly has no known issues listed by Apple. The download weighs in at 737.2MB.

When is it due? I wish that it could be this coming Friday. But, on second thought, after reading the previous posts, I agree that the 10.6.3 update should include:

1- Full support for OpenGL 3.0;

2- Updated ATI graphic drivers for current iMacs, on par with the ATI Catalyst 10.1 drivers just released for Windows XP, Vista and 7;

3- Cut and Paste support in Finder windows, on par with what is available on Windows XP, Vista, and 7;

4- A 64 bit version of the open source MacFuse application which is used in Mac OS X 10.6 to support Windows applications;

5- Functional Back and Forward buttons when viewing .jpg slides in a folder.

• Reply 13 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacquesass View Post

Exactly. That snapshot is from one of the earlier 10.6.3 builds - there's hope that 3.0 could hit 100% by 10.6.3 final (and 3.1 and 3.2 could further improve toward 100%...).

I don't have access to the betas, so I can't personally check. I'm hoping someone with developer access could enlighten us on this latest build...

I'd wager that 10.6.3 will be released shortly with no more changes since this is the 3rd(?) release with no known issues. I think 10.6.4 is the earliest you can expect more OpenGL support.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

A year from now it'll all be Light Peak. Apple and Intel are ignoring everything USB.

You think that in a year from no new Macs will work with any iDevices, which all sync over USB? Once a new standard gets speced, designed and ratified, which LightSpeed is not, then there is the time it takes for adoption. This is not a fast process. Look at USB3.0 and FW1600/FW3200. How long have they been "ready"? If and when this does come to pass it will a port on Macs, not replacing USB. There seems to be room to add it without removing any current data ports but FW might be the first to go, especially if ti's backwards compatible with an adapter. Later USB will be pushed out but that all depends on adoption and usage needs. There is a reason there are 2 USB on a 13" MBP and only one FW800.

USB3.0 will still have to come to Macs. It's being built out now, doing a full sync to a 32GB iPhone takes a relatively long time, and it makes sense to add to the primary device before the accessory so I hope Macs get USB3.0 in the next revision. Asus has been known to produce Apple logic boards and they have testing and releasing USB3.0 boards since last year. Hopefully that is a sign.

PS: DisplayPort can push USB data speeds 50% faster than the USB2.0 currently on Macs. 750Mbps max compared to 480Mbps. It can also do audio. I hope at least the latter comes to pass.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

When is it due? I wish that it could be this coming Friday. But, on second thought, after reading the previous posts, I agree that the 10.6.3 update should include:

2- Updated ATI graphic drivers for current iMacs, on par with the ATI Catalyst 10.1 drivers just released for Windows XP, Vista and 7;

That would make my year considering my ATI2600 Pro suffers greatly under snow Leopard. Ran much better under Leopard.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I don't think you can power a device over Light Peak which would exclude it for many applications.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

3- Cut and Paste support in Finder windows, on par with what is available on Windows XP, Vista, and 7;

4- A 64 bit version of the open source MacFuse application which is used in Mac OS X 10.6 to support Windows applications;

5- Functional Back and Forward buttons when viewing .jpg slides in a folder.

MacFuse doesn't support Windows applications - Jesus Christ, how about reading what the development website states; FUSE = Filesystem in Userspace. Explain to me how that remotely relates to running Windows applications on a Mac?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    "It is the fifth beta release of Mac OS X 10.6.3" you state at the end of the last paragraph.

I've counted 4 releases so far:

- 10D522 on Jan-06-10

- 10D538 on Jan-22-10

- 10D548 on Feb-05-10

- 10D552 on Feb-09-10

Did I miss something?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

FUSE = Filesystem in Userspace. Explain to me how that remotely relates to running Windows applications on a Mac?

I suppose he is referring to the fact that you can load a virtual machine image on the OS X desktop using MacFUSE. But I think you knew that too. You just decided to give him a hard time about it.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonQ13 View Post

I don't think you can power a device over Light Peak which would exclude it for many applications.

Intel has stated that the spec will include a copper wire for power.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

Not likely at all, and you can forget about any third party modem manufacturers writing 64 bit drivers any time soon. There is absolutely NO reason what-so-ever to be running the Snow Leopard kernel in 64 bit mode for the foreseeable future. NONE, other than some weird, convoluted, bragging rights thing.