Slower boot time. iMac 27" i5

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello. I am a recent convert. Just purchased a 27" i5 iMac. Lovin' it so far. However, I was watching some youtube videos where people were showing the boot time for the i5 at about 32 seconds, give or take a few. I have installed all the updates apple recommended upon initially starting the computer, and I have rebooted a few times after this. So far, the fasts boot time I have managed is about 60 seconds. It seems to take my computer twice as long to have the little apple come up when booting than those I have seen on the web. What gives?

I ran the 32 bit geekbench test on my computer an got a respectable score in the upper 6000's (I want to say a bit over 6700, but I can't remember exactly now). The computer seems snappy once loaded, but I would still like it to boot faster if there is a way to make that happen. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jac68984 View Post

Hello. I am a recent convert. Just purchased a 27" i5 iMac. Lovin' it so far. However, I was watching some youtube videos where people were showing the boot time for the i5 at about 32 seconds, give or take a few. I have installed all the updates apple recommended upon initially starting the computer, and I have rebooted a few times after this. So far, the fasts boot time I have managed is about 60 seconds. It seems to take my computer twice as long to have the little apple come up when booting than those I have seen on the web. What gives?

I ran the 32 bit geekbench test on my computer an got a respectable score in the upper 6000's (I want to say a bit over 6700, but I can't remember exactly now). The computer seems snappy once loaded, but I would still like it to boot faster if there is a way to make that happen. Thanks.

Go into the Apple menu

select system preferences

choose startup disk

set it to Macintosh HD

Reboot

Wallah, 30 sec or so boot time. For some reason all if the 27" i5's do not have a startup disk selected so the extra wait at boot time is the system searching for a disk to boot.