Apple patent filing for improved lenses shows forward facing camera

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A newly revealed Apple patent application shows plans for superior picture and video recording performance on portable devices, and also depicts a handheld device with a forward facing camera.

The application revealed this week, entitled "Apparatus and Method for Compensating for Variations in Digital Cameras," notes that the current manufacturing process for digital video cameras is inconsistent and often results in flaws. Camera modules are manufactured separately as independent units before they are incorporated into a larger device, such as an iPhone or iPod.

The process creates cameras that may have minor differences in their physical or operational attributes. Variations can occur in lens thickness, color response, wavelength cutoff and more.

"Similar cameras manufactured on similar product lines may operate non-uniformly. For example manufacturing variations may result in variations in response to external stimuli, such as ambient light," The application reads. "Such variations in camera responses may produce a non-uniformity in images rendered by digital cameras of the same type, consequently, leading to an inconsistent product performance and to variations in product lines(s)."

Apple's proposed fix would use acquired "video images of colored light" and would measure a light intensity of response of the camera to that colored light. Using this method of measurement, the specific camera's "bias" could be determined and compensated for, allowing a more uniform level of quality.

Another method could employ a "signal processor" that would adjust the calibrated color intensities of images and videos captured by the camera, and compensate for them based on a preconfigured calibration.

Images accompanying the patent application show a mobile device with a forward facing camera.

Some users had hoped for Apple to reveal a forward facing camera on its iPad, and alleged parts for the device show a potential spot to place such a camera. However the device, revealed by Apple in late January, does not include a built-in camera of any type.

Much like the iSight camera included Apple's line of portable MacBooks, a forward facing camera on an iPad or iPhone could allow for video conferencing, self-portraits or self-recording with the portable hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    Any chance Apple will include the forward facing camera when the iPad ships??? I am really hoping for it, as it will mean the difference between me buying 5 or just 1 iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 66
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Delete this comment when fixed.
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Any chance Apple will include the forward facing camera when the iPad ships??? I am really hoping for it, as it will mean the difference between me buying 5 or just 1 iPad.

Well there were the pictures floating around of a iPad frame (so they say) that had the mount for the forward facing camera, I wouldn't count on it in the 1st version, most likely in the 2nd. This is the reason I will be buying a cheaper iPad to play with at first and when they come out with the 2nd version I will go for the heavy duty model.
  • Reply 4 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

Well there were the pictures floating around of a iPad frame (so they say) that had the mount for the forward facing camera, I wouldn't count on it in the 1st version, most likely in the 2nd. This is the reason I will be buying a cheaper iPad to play with at first and when they come out with the 2nd version I will go for the heavy duty model.

Yeah, I guess that would be a good strategy. Still, as we say here, hope is the last one to die.
  • Reply 5 of 66
    I didn't read the patent, but the description in the article here is exactly what color profiling is about. ICC profiles have been around for YEARS. Applying them to video isn't common, but it's not unheard of either.

I'm really not sure where the uniqueness is in this... the only thing of note is the picture of the forward-facing camera.
  • Reply 6 of 66
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    So maybe Apple will release a front-facing camera after the Motorola Backflip ships?

Front-facing is a gimmick and unnecessary feature if Apple doesn't do it, but if Apple copies everyone else in this arena, they are the "most innovative company ever".
  • Reply 7 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

So maybe Apple will release a front-facing camera after the Motorola Backflip ships?

Front-facing is a gimmick and unnecessary feature if Apple doesn't do it, but if Apple copies everyone else in this arena, they are the "most innovative company ever".

Who said that? Or are you just aggrigating multiple opinions from the same forum and treating them as one?
  • Reply 8 of 66
    I would love to video Skype with the iPad. It will be a reality some day. Right now the carriers would scream and shriek that such use would crash the system.
  • Reply 9 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

I don't recall Apple adding HW features after an announcement has been made. We've seen a lot of mockups for an Apple tablet that look authentic. It seems they tried many, many different form factors and types.

AdamIIGS seems on the nose with this. They'll add, just not this time around.
  • Reply 10 of 66
    Quote:

And here come the pundits that think they know best Meanwhile, the peanut gallery has chimed in. They'll probably try to criticize Apple anyway even if they make decisions that critics like, because for every satisfied critic (can there even be such a thing?) there's another harshly vocal one. So really the one way to shut them up is to pay them to shut up. But Apple doesn't play that game like other companies (ahem *cough* Microsoft).
  • Reply 11 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Who said that? Or are you just aggrigating multiple opinions from the same forum and treating them as one?

It's aggregation.

Other examples include

multi-tasking: "completely unnecessary, ruins the experience"

removable battery: "i hate options. the usefulness of replacing batteries is non-existent"

et cetera.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If the camera doesn't move then handling the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, with a front facing camera would be difficult to get a steady picture.

Now I'm sure Apple is working on a solution in the software+hardware that will effectively stabilize an image to compensate for jittery hands when holding a 1.5lb device and make the output look good. Would also like to see some sort of on-screen multitouch controls to position the camera to compensate for off angle use. It's unlikely that the camera will always, if ever, be perfectly perpendicular to the user's face. Maybe even some face locking that moves with the person's movements provided they stay within a certain frame.
  • Reply 13 of 66
    Quote:

It's possible to desire something but not care if doesn't yet exist. The lack of a front-facing camera is not a deal breaker for most people

Quote:

It's aggregation.

That is not correct. Aggregation is a noun, he's using the gerund verb form, aggregating.
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

If the camera doesn't move then handling the iPad, or iPhone for that matter, with a front facing camera would be difficult to get a steady picture.

Now I'm sure Apple is working on a solution in the software+hardware that will effectively stabilize an image to compensate for jittery hands when holding a 1.5lb device and make the output look good. Would also like to see some sort of on-screen multitouch controls to position the camera to compensate for off angle use. It's unlikely that the camera will always, if ever, be perfectly perpendicular to the user's face. Maybe even some face locking that moves with the person's movements provided they stay within a certain frame.

Notion Ink's latest demo has a swivel camera that can face the user, face away the screen or anywhere with that 180° rotation. I don't see Apple offering moving parts but Notion has done some good things with their tablet device. They are also using a huge, backside multi-touch trackpad for maneuvering when holding the device without impeding the front touch screen, thumb-accesible keyboard and menus while holding, and a much thinner bezel than the Apple iPad. These are few of the things I've wanted and things Apple has submitted patents for. It's the closest true competitor to the iPad I've seen.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's possible to desire something but not care if doesn't yet exist. The lack of a front-facing camera is not a deal breaker for most people

A large chunk of users on this forum say they don't desire anything unless it's in an Apple product.

Quote:

That is not correct. Aggregation is a noun, he's using the gerund verb form, aggregating.

First, my point was that he was correct in his inference: my statement was based on an aggregation of user sentiment here.

Second, he did not use it as a gerund, he used a present participle, which has the same form as the gerund but the usage is strikingly different and can not logically be claimed as a use of gerund.

My word was a noun and I intended it as such. His word was a present participle verb which he used appropriately as such.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    What about the integrated screen camera?
  • Reply 17 of 66
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

A large chunk of users on this forum say they don't desire anything unless it's in an Apple product.

Nobody has ever said that.

Trolls do like a good straw man
  • Reply 18 of 66
    edit: pipped by nagromme.
  • Reply 19 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Nobody has ever said that.

Trolls do like a good straw man

Please refer to past discussions of front-facing cameras or any "feature" that Apple does not include in its products, such as multi-tasking. Or how users here were cheering the increase in price of eBooks because of the arrival of the iPad. It's utter bonkers!

It sounds ridiculous when you hear it, but that's how ridiculous fanboyism on this forum has gotten.

It should wake you up.
  • Reply 20 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro

Quote:

It's aggregation.

Other examples include

multi-tasking: "completely unnecessary, ruins the experience"

removable battery: "i hate options. the usefulness of replacing batteries is non-existent"

et cetera.

Your examples are not comparable to your original statement. Your examples are valid on their own whether you agree with them or not.

Your original statement takes two opposing points of view and attributes them to the same entity. You have presented no evidence that any one person actually holds both opinions. If you do though, I would concede you have indeed found yourself a fanboy. Good luck.

I don't know why I'm engaging in this discussion though. I'm done.