Apple exploring desktop iMac with shape-sensing touch display

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lending support to a recent rumor about a touchscreen iMac, a new patent application from Apple revealed this week shows an all-in-one desktop with a touch-sensitive display.

Entitled "Shape Detecting Input Device," the invention, credited to Peter Kennedy, was a continuation of a 2004 application re-filed on Oct. 30, 2009. The application describes a variety of situations where a touchscreen would be preferable to a mouse and keyboard, including common uses seen today, such as ATM machines, point of sale machines in stores, airline ticket e-terminals, library terminals and more.

The application describes a system that would allow users to hold objects onto a touchscreen to enable access, such as for security purposes. By holding an object on the screen, such as a ring or a key, the system would allow users to access certain data within the system.

Such a method, the application states, could allow "improved techniques to allow different authorization levels" on computers, such as allowing a network administrator to make changes.

"This is particular advantageous in environments where the computer system is shared by multiple users, such as in education environments," the application reads. "Each user could have their own personal signet. The user simply has to present his/her ring to the touch screen in order to place the computer system in his/her preferred configuration."

The shape-related commands, called "signets," could even become more complex, allowing users to present a combination of objects in sequence, much like a combination lock.

The 2004-era application makes no mention of multi-touch technology capable of sensing multiple fingertips -- the technology pioneered by Apple with the iPhone and later brought to the company's notebooks via a multi-touch trackpad.

In January, a Chinese newspaper alleged that Apple would ship a touchscreen iMac with a 22-inch screen sometime in 2010. The report alleged the hardware would be in addition to the existing 21.5-inch and 27-inch desktops, which do not have touchscreen panels.

The report said Taiwan-based Sintek Photronic was said to supply the screen, while Quanta would handle the production of the hardware. Apple refreshed its iMac desktop in late 2009 with new models that sport an LED-backlit screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I am becoming more and more convinced that Mac OS 10.7 will make the radical move of allowing App Store applications to be used on your Mac. Apple obviously cherishes the whole iDevice ecosystem and there's no reason to think they wouldn't want to tie Macs closer to it.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    This signets tech seems eerily similar to the Microsoft 'surface' technologies which use objects with ID embedded in the base.

I wonder if it will be different enough from Microsofts Surface patents to be upheld.

and I don't think I want a 27" touch screen (I have a 27" iMac). I don't want to sit THAT close to it.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

This signets tech seems eerily similar to the Microsoft 'surface' technologies which use objects with ID embedded in the base.

I wonder if it will be different enough from Microsofts Surface patents to be upheld.

and I don't think I want a 27" touch screen (I have a 27" iMac). I don't want to sit THAT close to it.

You may not, but there are lots of applications in retail, medical and educational etc. This would be a huge boon because MS surface was so damned expensive even retailers balked at the $10k price tag.

If MSFT can copy Apple's tech, I think Apple will be fine.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Didn't we already see Steve Ballmer demo this on the Today Show last October? How long has HP had this available?

So much for the nayayers who said this would never happen with the iMac.

I for one welcome it as the screens get larger it makes total sense.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    This tech makes no sense to me. When you sit at your desk you are, or should be, in a comfortable position to type. To touch my screen I would have to lean forward.

Counter intuitive.

A touch pad in place of a mouse makes much more sense to me.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    It's a nice to have, but not impressive, but then again, what do I know about the future of technology...
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

This tech makes no sense to me. When you sit at your desk you are, or should be, in a comfortable position to type. To touch my screen I would have to lean forward.

Well, it doesn't make sense in the context of a desktop or laptop computer, but it makes a lot of sense in the context of the applications reportedly mentioned in the patent application.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The application describes a variety of situations where a touchscreen would be preferable to a mouse and keyboard, including common uses seen today, such as ATM machines, point of sale machines in stores, airline ticket e-terminals, library terminals and more.

• Reply 9 of 21
    This tech makes sense in a non-portable computer screen mainly as a supplement to mouse/kb instead of a replacement for them - or in a kiosk situation as noted above.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This tech seems like one of those things that seems cool but have no real use, at least with the capabilities in today's culture. I think an RFID or something that could do a secure 3-way handshake makes more sense for access, not avvess because an object has the same 2D profile.

OT: The Mac in the image was a bitch to change the HDD, but it's still my favorite Mac design. I'm considering gutting it, replacing it was Mac mini parts, but with a 2TB HDD and updating the display.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This tech seems like one of those things that seems cool but have no real use, at least with the capabilities in today's culture. I think an RFID or something that could do a secure 3-way handshake makes more sense for access, not avvess because an object has the same 2D profile.

OT: The Mac in the image was a bitch to change the HDD, but it's still my favorite Mac design. I'm considering gutting it, replacing it was Mac mini parts, but with a 2TB HDD and updating the display.

Same here. It'll require reworking the video a bit but the design was too fun to retire.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

The primary difference here is that the Surface requires the use of microdot identifiers so that the cameras can read and identify the device you have placed on the top surface of the device. The signet or shape identifying process seems to be quite different.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Interesting, but doesn't sound very practical. This is probably just a case of patenting for mutually assured destruction scenarios. If it could detect the shape and size of your hand they may have something though. If they used RFIDs that would be cool, but I suppose Wacom already does that to identify their pens.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

I am becoming more and more convinced that Mac OS 10.7 will make the radical move of allowing App Store applications to be used on your Mac. Apple obviously cherishes the whole iDevice ecosystem and there's no reason to think they wouldn't want to tie Macs closer to it.

Although they probably will not make the Mac a closed system, I wouldn't be surprised if they take it a step further and open the AppStore for native Mac applications.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

App Store Apps should have been allowed on Mac's from the very beginning, it's a rather easy thing to compile for two processor families and two UI interfaces with one SDK for most apps.

All the people who bought a iPhone and are using it with their Windows machines could be tempted to buy a Mac because they can also run the same apps on their computer as their portable hand held devices.

But Apple didn't do that, because they want to kill the open OS X UI we are using now by shifting developers and customers to the App Store universe and new closed devices that only work with that ecosystem.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woohoo! View Post

App Store Apps should have been allowed on Mac's from the very beginning, it's a rather easy thing to compile for two processor families and two UI interfaces with one SDK for most apps.

All the people who bought a iPhone and are using it with their Windows machines could be tempted to buy a Mac because they can also run the same apps on their computer as their portable hand held devices.

But Apple didn't do that, because they want to kill the open OS X UI we are using now by shifting developers and customers to the App Store universe and new closed devices that only work with that ecosystem.

I can just hear Little Jonny running his fart apps thru those big iMac speakers. Talk about a nightmare.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

Counter intuitive.

A touch pad in place of a mouse makes much more sense to me.

I'm with you. I'd find a lot of use for a larger touchpad option for my current iMac than having to reach up to do business.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    "The user simply has to present his/her ring to the touch screen in order to place the computer system in his/her preferred configuration."
    I'm sure this will contravene any health and safety guidelines set out for responsible usage of computing equipment at work. It's the same as sitting on a photocopier at the office Christmas party and breaking through the glass. Most painful and bloody as I have borne witness to on many an office yuletide occasion.

Anyway, how on earth would they expect one to clamber up onto the desk, on ones knees, reverse orientate and "present" to the monitor?

Fine in a private situation but can you imagine in a shared user environment the health consequences of these actions, I bet you can. Just imagine...
  • Reply 19 of 21
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Same here. It'll require reworking the video a bit but the design was too fun to retire.

It's not only that the design was fun but the iMac G4 also had a great design if it were used as a touch screen device. The problem with these all in one touch screen desktop computers that was brought up previously is that the monitor at basically vertical. That would get extremely fatiguing after hours of use. All the blood would run out of your arm over time.

The iMac G4 was totally different. It let you adjust the screen to any position you wanted meaning that it would be easy to find a comfortable position to hold your arm. I can't speak to using a horizontal screen like the Surface since I have yet to use one but I know it would be way better than a vertical only position. I think having the screen in any position would be the best solution yet.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

at this point it is likely to be a custom feature for business uses, such as the ones others have mentioned. not really the common man's system. although one day in 5-10 years we could start to move that way as laptops become more powerful and component prices go down.

and this ring thing sounds a bit like the bracelet 'keys' that the delivery services are starting to use. or places like malls have for their security guards. a tap of a handheld or wrist strapped piece (not unlike the chips in overseas credit cards) and it unlocks the van door, or records that the guard has arrived at a checkpoint. etc. in certain areas it could be useful. Say a hospital. the doctors and nurses typically have to wear a name tag, so you put an id chip on it. they have computers wall mounted around the area. tap the card or even have it set to pick up when someone is at a certain closeness, punch in a pin number, and they are get in to view records, order meds etc. they walk away and it is secure again.

also to the folks mentioning Apple copying the Surface. Are you so sure it wasn't the other way around