Apple reveals plans to open 25 retail stores in China

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At Apple's annual shareholders meeting at its campus in Cupertino, Calif., Thursday, the company revealed it intends to open 25 stores in the nation of China.

Though the press was barred from covering Thursday's event live, Philip Elmer-DeWitt of Fortune Brainstorm Tech provided updates from the annual meeting.

Apple will build more stores in China soon, as Ron Johnson, senior vice president of retail, announced the plans for expansion in the nation of over 1 billion. Last month, Apple executives revealed they are more focused on building the company's brand in China than they are about achieving blockbuster sales as they attempt to crack the foreign market.

The company's first Chinese store opened in 2008, prior to the Olympic games in Beijing. Plans for the second store, which will employ a classic Chinese design, were revealed last summer.

Apple has sold more than 200,000 iPhones in China since the handset debuted last fall. Some have said that a pre-paid option would be more acceptable to consumers in the nation, and could catapult overall sales up to 10 million.

Early this month, Apple's business presence in China came under scrutiny from U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin. Apple, along with 30 other technology companies, was asked to provide information on its human rights practices in the country, particularly as they pertain to freedom of expression and privacy.

Apple Store Sanlitun in Beijing, China | Copyright: 变脸.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Hold your stock, people.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Guard the stock; it might be stolen otherwise...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hold your stock, people.

• Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:

Hold your stock, people.

Yeah. Apple is taking it straight to the dragon's lair. Let's see now how well the locals (or Apple's competitors) can copy/ imitate this strategy of broad-based availability and coverage in both hardware and software.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Apple reveals plans to open 25 retail stores in China

And to think, Apple was nearly dead only a few short years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Apple is taking it straight to the dragon's lair. Let's see now how well the locals (or Apple's competitors) can copy/ imitate this strategy of broad-based availability and coverage in both hardware and software.

There are 24 more French stores planned, matching the UK stores, as well as many others. I think it'll be less than 4 quarters before Europe makes more revenue than the US.

With these Chinese stores and the way the iPhone has taken off in the "supposedly super advanced, well entrenched" S. Korean and Japanese markets I have to think that Asia might not be too far behind.

While I have no current use for it, I think the iPad may be very popular in Asian markets.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    They better open one in Hong Kong, I've been waiting for one for quite a while...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    What is price of the cheapest legally unlocked phone?

TIA
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

While I have no current use for it, I think the iPad may be very popular in Asian markets.

The Apple machine keeps on rolling. I agree the iPad will probably result in many copy-cats in China, but it should be a great tool for Chinese character input.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The Apple machine keeps on rolling. I agree the iPad will probably result in many copy-cats in China, but it should be a great tool for Chinese character input.

Too bad it doesn't have handwriting recognition.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    It's be nice to get one down in the Valley in Texas. Closest Apple store? San Antonio, 3 hours away.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Too bad it doesn't have handwriting recognition.

I forget who explained it a few weeks ago, but the LCD touchscreen has less sensors than a trackpad so finer inputs are not as effective. It would be nice if a solution is eventually had, but at least there are an infinite number of keyboards that could be implemented. Yet we don't even get Dvorak as an option. \
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

What is price of the cheapest legally unlocked phone?

TIA

I think I can get you one for $1800 U.S.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:

There are 24 more French stores planned, matching the UK stores, as well as many others. I think it'll be less than 4 quarters before Europe makes more revenue than the US.

I heard that there was another planned for France this year bringing the total to 3. When are the rest coming?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:

I forget who explained it a few weeks ago, but the LCD touchscreen has less sensors than a trackpad so finer inputs are not as effective. It would be nice if a solution is eventually had, but at least there are an infinite number of keyboards that could be implemented. Yet we don't even get Dvorak as an option. \

What's about Palm LCD touchscreen with handwriting recognition?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

You keep saying this but I think you'll get one. Just to prove yourself right / wrong (delete as applicable), you understand. Besides, when the thing hits the shelves you'll no longer be able to comment unless you actually own one. Of course, certain people here will comment ferociously long after that point but we'll know who they are and we will ignore them. So there you are, how can you not?
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Sad to say that was my first thought, too!
  • Reply 17 of 29
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Ethics I guess, not on Apple's list of priorities.

If only they could be more like Google.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Well from the last dozen store openings photos...I don't think apple will be changing the 'aluminum' finish on their products anytime soon!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Great! But they will have to change their name to Great Self-Patriotic People's Apple, Inc.

GSPPA for short.

But seriously this is good news for mac fans in china. Wish apple announced some more US stores as well.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I heard that there was another planned for France this year bringing the total to 3. When are the rest coming?

It was on Wikipedia so it must be true. Here is the citation for it...
    Mea culpa. I guess it's just an objective as stated by a Gartner Analyst, and not something Apple has stated. How about Apple's objective being as many stores as possible that will still make them record profits. Not even a time frame for that objective. \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

What's about Palm LCD touchscreen with handwriting recognition?

A capacitance touchscreen — not a restrictive touchscreen — from Palm with handwriting recognition, because we ARE talking about Apple who doesn't use any other type of touchscreens?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You keep saying this but I think you'll get one. Just to prove yourself right / wrong (delete as applicable), you understand. Besides, when the thing hits the shelves you'll no longer be able to comment unless you actually own one. Of course, certain people here will comment ferociously long after that point but we'll know who they are and we will ignore them. So there you are, how can you not?

I do keep saying it and I'm certain I'll eventually get one, but so far there is absolutely no need it for in my life with an iPhone and 13" MBP with me. I plan on getting a 15" MBP soon (assuming the changes I expect do come) and if Hulu, Netflix and likely some other "killer apps" come I just might be the target consumer for it, but right now, I am not.

I'm quite utilitarian in nature and never keep stuff I don't need so it would have to serve a distinct purpose my other devices cannot. A way to read magazines, newspapers and technical books with rich annotation capabilities would likely make me fork over $830. 3G on AT&T was a requirement for me so that is least met.