Apple says 27-inch iMac display issues have been addressed

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After months of reported issues with flickering and yellowing on new 27-inch iMac displays, Apple has publicly stated that the problems have been fixed by its two software updates.

An Apple spokesperson told Gizmodo that the issues experienced by users have been addressed. The statement comes days after the direct-order shipping times for the 27-inch models improved to three to five days.

"We've addressed the issues that caused display flickering and yellow tint," the company said. "Customers concerned that their iMac is affected should contact AppleCare."

The statement is the first real acknowledgment on Apple's part, aside from the two software updates that aimed to fix the issues, that there were problems with the 27-inch model. While supply issues lingered for months after the destkop's debut last October, Apple chalked them up to considerable demand from consumers.

The first software fix came in December in the form of iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0. Then, on Feb. 1, the company released a second fix for the redesigned late 2009 model, entitled 27-inch iMac Display Firmware Update 1.0. And just days after the second fix, reports surfaced that Apple was offering a 15 percent refund to some users who were plagued by issues.

As reports of issues persisted, shipping times for the hardware lingered at an average of three weeks. Apple even denied a rumor that a production halt had occurred to fix the ongoing issues.

With supplies of the desktop constrained in December, Apple apologized, saying the hardware was a "huge hit" and the company was "working hard to fulfill orders as quickly as possible." The new iMac was the best-selling desktop in the U.S. when it debuted last October, with the 21.5-inch model taking first place and the 27-inch iMac the third-best-selling machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    I bought a 27" iMac last weekend, so far have had no problems with the screen, nor has anyone else that I know with the 27". I wonder what the problem was? I have to say I love the 27", far better than the 24", the 27" led screen is excellent! Can't wait to buy a professional monitor calibration device and get the most out of my display.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member
    If the problems have been fixed by a software update, then it seems likely that Apple's previous claims that delayed shipping times were due to heavy demand were probably right (since it must not have been a hardware issue). The fact that Apple sold over 3 million Macs in the fourth calendar quarter also seems to support the idea that they were indeed selling a lot of these things.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

I bought a 27" iMac last weekend, so far have had no problems with the screen, nor has anyone else that I know with the 27". I wonder what the problem was? I have to say I love the 27", far better than the 24", the 27" led screen is excellent! Can't wait to buy a professional monitor calibration device and get the most out of my display.

I'm jealous. I hope Apple starts selling a stand-alone 27 (or new 30") display for us Mac Pro users!
  • Reply 4 of 48
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I'm jealous. I hope Apple starts selling a stand-alone 27 (or new 30") display for us Mac Pro users!

They did, it's 27", comes with a free Mac. Cheaper than the 30" ACD.

http://blog.expandrive.com/2009/10/2...th-a-free-mac/

my iMac 27" i5 has been flawless, it was early 2010. No issues. I've even held off on the 'updates' since I didn't think it was needed. I might run them anyway since they occasionally bug me to install.

Cannot beat this screen, its amazing.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

They did, it's 27", comes with a free Mac. Cheaper than the 30" ACD.

Heh... well, that's not saying much. I think the price of the 30" ACD implies that they really don't want to sell it.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Dell has a new monitor out using the same or a very similar LCD panel with the same resolution as the iMac 27". The Dell display uses a CCFL backlight, not LED, but that is apparently considered better for accurate colour reproduction.

I think Melgross had mentioned he might be getting the Dell display.

Here is a link to an AnandTech review of it...
  • Reply 7 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Heh... well, that's not saying much. I think the price of the 30" ACD implies that they really don't want to sell it.

It's sold to business clients who are interested in the reliability. It's a very reliable model.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Dell has a new monitor out using the same or a very similar LCD panel with the same resolution as the iMac 27". The Dell display uses a CCFL backlight, not LED, but that is apparently considered better for accurate colour reproduction.

Yes. I'm going to get it if the first models out of the factory prove to be ok. I never like to get something the instant it arrives. Hopefully, sometime in March. It will have a wider gamut than my 24" $4,000 three year old Eizo. Unfortunately, the Apple model will just cover sRGB because of the LED backlighting. Too bad, I really wanted one, glass included.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    I ordered an i7 2 days ago, it'll be interesting to see if the yellowing is really gone.. a couple of my friends have the c2d model, and the firmware updates didn't seem to address that on their machines..
  • Reply 10 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    "An Apple spokesperson told Gizmodo that the issues experienced by users have been addressed."

Has this been independently corroborated? What is the name of the Apple spokesperson who made this statement? Where can this statement be read on Apple's website?

Or are we to just take Gizmodo's word for it? If we read it on the internet it must be true?

Oh, I see, we have all the facts about this problem. We know exactly how many people experienced this issue and the what the problem actually was. And now we have a third party, unsubstantiated and uncorroborated report that Apple has "finally" acknowledged the issue. So this Gizmodo report will be re-printed in a thousand blogs and will become the de facto truth whether it is really true or not. Lord what a screwed up place the internet is.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

If the problems have been fixed by a software update, then it seems likely that Apple's previous claims that delayed shipping times were due to heavy demand were probably right (since it must not have been a hardware issue). The fact that Apple sold over 3 million Macs in the fourth calendar quarter also seems to support the idea that they were indeed selling a lot of these things.

of course not. Apple is lying. This was HUGE problem due to a MAJOR DESIGN FLAW and was of course not fixed by a mere software update. This is all a coverup.

and yes that's sarcasm. In the end it was probably only like 2% of the 27 inch computers sold, all custom ordered and half the issue was probably the jerks at Fed Ex tossing machines around like they are pillows.

i myself have been in contact with over 50 machines, 10 of which were custom orders, bought spread out over the whole period and perhaps 1 had any kind of issue which was fixed in a matter of minutes at the local store.

But of course I"m lying also. In fact, I've been paid by Apple to pretend like there's nothing wrong with the design etc (yep that's sarcasm too)

Quote:

Dell has a new monitor out using the same or a very similar LCD panel with the same resolution as the iMac 27".

and it is so ugly looking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Oh, I see, we have all the facts about this problem. We know exactly how many people experienced this issue and the what the problem actually was.

i said the same thing. several times. give me real facts. how many machines were affected, in what ways, how many were store bought, online buys, custom v standard configs and now many of each model and method of purchase has been sold over all.

saying 1000 machines had X problem doesn't mean much if it was 1000 out of a million. out of 10k would be a different story.

and on a couple of boards the replies were basically to ask me how much Apple was paying me and/or is Steve Jobs good in bed. geesh
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:

"An Apple spokesperson told Gizmodo that the issues experienced by users have been addressed."

Has this been independently corroborated? What is the name of the Apple spokesperson who made this statement? Where can this statement be read on Apple's website?

Or are we to just take Gizmodo's word for it? If we read it on the internet it must be true?

Oh, I see, we have all the facts about this problem. We know exactly how many people experienced this issue and the what the problem actually was. And now we have a third party, unsubstantiated and uncorroborated report that Apple has "finally" acknowledged the issue. So this Gizmodo report will be re-printed in a thousand blogs and will become the de facto truth whether it is really true or not. Lord what a screwed up place the internet is.

Don't you know that EVERYTHING on the internet is true just like something is true because it's advertised on Tv? Even when one report contradicts another, they both must be true. It's the new logic.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

of course not. Apple is lying. This was HUGE problem due to a MAJOR DESIGN FLAW and was of course not fixed by a mere software update. This is all a coverup.

I get real suspicious when I read posts from "users" who say they are on their third, fourth, or fifth returned iMac and all have the same, exact, problem. It's like where I work. A maintenance ticket comes down telling me to replace a certain circuit pack in a piece of telecommunications equipment. So I replace it and the trouble still exists. I have a suspicion of where the trouble might actually be but I have to call first tier tech support anyway. They tell me to replace the circuit pack again, and a third time, and maybe even a fourth time. I suggest that it would highly unlikely that I would have three defective circuit packs in a row and that maybe we should be looking elsewhere for the trouble, like maybe software. But oh no, first tier tech support has their handbook in front of them and it says replace this circuit pack. So they make me do it over and over again. After a few days and a number of customer reports they finally try to think out of the box and try something else. Repeat endlessly on the next case of trouble. And yes, I work in a central office for at&t.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    The problems where actually existent and widespread, according to many long time Apple dealers as much as 50% of the 27" iMacs delivered had the yellow tinge problem (including mine) plus there was the screen flickering problem which was not solved for every iMacs by the 2 software updates, some of the iMacs needed a display cable to be replaced. Many Apple dealers told customers that Apple warned them that the shipping delays where due to the problems being fixed.

Nice that Apple finally fixed them, and nice to know that Apple has always offered support and replacements to all the users affected.

I really don't get why many people here only believe on official press releases, when it is apparent that so many people where affected (the thread on the Apple support forums was one of the longest ever, with people getting up to 4 complete iMacs replacements in a row all with the same problems)
  • Reply 15 of 48
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

The problems where actually existent and widespread, according to many long time Apple dealers as much as 50% of the 27" iMacs delivered had the yellow tinge problem (including mine) plus there was the screen flickering problem which was not solved for every iMacs by the 2 software updates, some of the iMacs needed a display cable to be replaced. Many Apple dealers told customers that Apple warned them that the shipping delays where due to the problems being fixed.

Nice that Apple finally fixed them, and nice to know that Apple has always offered support and replacements to all the users affected.

I really don't get why many people here only believe on official press releases, when it is apparent that so many people where affected (the thread on the Apple support forums was one of the longest ever, with people getting up to 4 complete iMacs replacements in a row all with the same problems)

People are more likely to believe press releases than you. Please publish links to your sources of these claims. Otherwise how do we not know that you are not just spouting nonsense.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

I ordered an i7 2 days ago, it'll be interesting to see if the yellowing is really gone.. a couple of my friends have the c2d model, and the firmware updates didn't seem to address that on their machines..

When you a product from an assembly containing within it other products from assembly lines the likelihood for issues grows. This is inevitable regardless of price and the buyer has the right to get the product they were promised.

You should inform them to call Apple about it. I see no reason why this is just Core-ix-based Macs.

Quote:

LOL Internet news is like the telephone game. This could have simply started out with "Hey, the shipping times for 27" iMacs are 3-5 days. I guess that means they figured out the problem."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

and yes that's sarcasm. In the end it was probably only like 2% of the 27 inch computers sold, all custom ordered and half the issue was probably the jerks at Fed Ex tossing machines around like they are pillows.

i myself have been in contact with over 50 machines, 10 of which were custom orders, bought spread out over the whole period and perhaps 1 had any kind of issue which was fixed in a matter of minutes at the local store.

But of course I"m lying also. In fact, I've been paid by Apple to pretend like there's nothing wrong with the design etc (yep that's sarcasm too)

I think 2% sounds high. I also wonder if it was an Apple issue. This seems more like a 3rd-party component issue. If directly Apple related it may have just been a factory not producing the logic boards correctly, but does Apple even make those, or just contract out to a company like Asus who has them made in a company that they contract with?

Quote:

and it is so ugly looking.

I go for functionality first, aesthetics second. Since I enjoy well engineered products with a focus on utilitarian (read: not excessive for the sake of a spec list) I do tend to find Apple's product's more appealing. The Dell display isn't "sexy" but if it does the job it does the job. It's not we spend or time looking at the bezel, side or back of it, anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    To all the people complaining about how apple's quality is going down: please! All companies suffer from this. It's the price of business. In a perfect world none of this would happen, but "reality check", it's not a perfect world! Look I have owned many and know others that have and still own Apple products and none yet (knock on wood) including myself have had any any issues. But the best part is, I really don't care even if I were to have a an issue. I feel confident Apple has my back! Apple Stores are abundant and Apple's service is A+!! That has always been Apple's greatest asset: they stand behind there products 100%!!
  • Reply 18 of 48
    When AI is citing Gizmodo as the source of the info, it'd be nice to have a link to the actual Gizmodo article rather than have half a dozen links to other AI articles. They could even quote it:

Quote:

Apple's Official Statement

"We've addressed the issues that caused display flickering and yellow tint. Customers concerned that their iMac is affected should contact AppleCare."

These two short sentences might not look like much, but the statement is Apple's first open acknowledgment of the jaundiced screen issue, and it identifies the problem as one worthy of AppleCare solutions.

If Apple is telling people to call AppleCare, that sounds more like a repair than a firmware upgrade. One of the Giz articles speculated:

Quote:

the yellowing of the display is a manufacturing defect involving the distance between a layer of material used to diffuse the LED backlight and the LCD panel. To show a perfectly even color, this light scattering panel has to be absolutely flat and free of any warping, kinking, or thickness defects. It is this layer that I believe is at fault, and causes the color to drift and give the perception of yellow stripes, fields, and corners.

Quote:

with the rough handling the monitors receive when shipped this layer gets knocked out of alignment.

The person who postulated the above disassembled and reassembled their iMac and the problem went away. That sounds consistent with an AppleCare service call.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

To all the people complaining about how apple's quality is going down: please! All companies suffer from this. It's the price of business. In a perfect world none of this would happen, but "reality check", it's not a perfect world! Look I have owned many and know others that have and still own Apple products and none yet (knock on wood) including myself have had any any issues. But the best part is, I really don't care even if I were to have a an issue. I feel confident Apple has my back! Apple Stores are abundant and Apple's service is A+!! That has always been Apple's greatest asset: they stand behind there products 100%!!

That *only* applies in the USA though. Until just over a week ago, my nearest Apple shop was over 100miles away, 3 hours by train, and I live in a major city. When my iPhone 3G developed a hairline crack, it was out of my hands for more than a week. It most definitely sours the experience.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's sold to business clients who are interested in the reliability. It's a very reliable model.

How is it known that it is reliable?

Quote:

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. And I can use it on my current and next computer, without requiring an absurd and possibly troublesome signal converter adapter to make it work either way.