Network A/B switch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have thought about bringing my Mini back to my desk and using it along with my new iMac. I'd like to have them both linked to the internet through a Comcast cable modem.

Is anyone using an A/B switch to do this? Can you recommend it? What switch are you using and would you recommend that?

Are there downsides to this setup?

I wonder if there will be a new Mini with an HDMI port as mentioned on this forum. That would give me more incentive to use the (not so) older Mini along with the iMac.

Has anyone used an A/B switch with just one side connected so as to be able to switch to the non connected side for a sort of "firewall"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    What's the motivation?

If for security, the attention is misplaced. Macs simply aren't in danger of being hacked (at this point in time.

You could better protect your data by unplugging your toaster every night. Houses actually burn down from shorts in toaster wires. But as of yet, nobody's Mac has been hacked. In a couple competitions sure, there has been proof of concept. But in the real world it hasn't happened. Not even once.

In other words, just leave the network connections plugged in all the time.