'Minor delays' in iPad production could limit Apple launch to 200K

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The second report in a week claiming Apple has experienced iPad production delays surfaced Thursday, with the latest suggesting the company is currently able to produce between 200,000 and 250,000 devices per month.

Think Equity analyst Vijay Rakesh issued a note to investors Thursday stating that checks with Taiwanese manufacturers "indicate some minor delays" in production of the iPad. Specifically, he said manufacturing of the iPad was supposed to pick up in February, but production volume for March remains low. Those issues, he said, are only expected to be temporary.

"Our checks are indicating iPad volumes will pick back up to the 800k-1M units/month into April-May from the current 200-250K," Rakesh wrote. "We believe this is just a minor hiccup in a longer-term entirely new revenue stream and product roadmap for AAPL."

He added: "The delays do not appear to be (from) glass or manufacturing process (issues)."

On Monday, another analyst issued a separate report alleging that an "unspecified production problem" had arisen in manufacturing of the iPad. Peter Misek with Canaccord Adams said the issues could restrict the number of launch units to just 300,000, or potentially delay the launch of the iPad past March.

However, suppliers in Taiwan told DigiTimes this week that there have been no issues in the iPad manufacturing. That report claimed that Apple would likely be able to ship between 600,000 and 700,000 units this month, and another million in April.

There has been speculation that retail sales of the iPad could begin March 26, though Apple has not announced an official date. Initial availability will be limited to the Wi-Fi model, with a 3G-capable version expected to arrive in late April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Just some analysts trying to create buzz.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    As long as I get one...
  • Reply 3 of 55
    bawbaw Posts: 12member
    Any of Apple's suppliers who are actually manufacturing iPads AND talking to these so-called analysts are playing a dangerous game of chicken. Why would they have ANY incentive to do this, unless it's individuals at the manufacturers who are being bribed by the analysts. If I were Apple, I would be interested in discovering these leaks and making sure that the iPad business went somewhere else.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Part of the buzz machine. It's just to get people to think "I'd better get one before they are gone!"

If there are millions of them on the shelves, there is no pent up demand and people can just buy one whenever they want and maybe not get one right away, instead, they will actively pursue buying one at first opportunity.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Just some analysts trying to create buzz.

Nah. Just trying to depress the stock price so they can buy more. It's an old, old game.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    It could be that the WiFi version is in full production with no issues and the problem that both these reports are talking about is with the 3G version, which we know will be released later anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 55
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    it might be just like what happened to Tom Sanders. He promised the drives would be ready but the factory screwed him at the last minute. Then he didn't get his promotion and his boss, Bob Garvin gave the job to Meredith Johnson. But wait, Bob Garvin doesn't work at Apple, he runs Digicom Corporation....
  • Reply 8 of 55
    gumguygumguy Posts: 27member
    Many have said this is nothing but a rumor. Apparently, sales are to occur later this month at stores. Does anyone know if Apple is going to take pre-orders online like they did with iPhone 3Gs?
  • Reply 9 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Many have said this is nothing but a rumor. Apparently, sales are to occur later this month at stores. Does anyone know if Apple is going to take pre-orders online like they did with iPhone 3Gs?

I hope they do. However, they cannot offer pre-orders before they get the FCC approval.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I guess analysts have to justify their salaries some way.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BAW View Post

Any of Apple's suppliers who are actually manufacturing iPads AND talking to these so-called analysts are playing a dangerous game of chicken. Why would they have ANY incentive to do this, unless it's individuals at the manufacturers who are being bribed by the analysts. If I were Apple, I would be interested in discovering these leaks and making sure that the iPad business went somewhere else.

agreed. someone is playing games to either build buzz and up the value of the stock they have. or build negative buzz and drop the price so they can buy in a little cheaper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gumguy View Post

Does anyone know if Apple is going to take pre-orders online like they did with iPhone 3Gs?

depends on what you mean by pre-order.

do I think they will open up the system to take orders a few days/week before the big release and let you order for release day/next day delivery. possibly although the quality will likely be limited and after that mark, no more guarantees on the shipping date.

if you mean reserve for pickup at a store. I think not. From what I heard, that whole thing was a logistic nightmare at most stores. And they ended up with more than a handful of units unsold every day from folks reserving and not coming to pick up. While at the same time, turning folks away for being 'out of stock'.

I think the first round will be first come first serve. After that opening weekend/week, perhaps they will let you reserve.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Could be true or just another rumor. Regardless, I'm sure that more will be pre-ordering as soon as you can order one. In the alternative--look to long lines at the Apple Store--maybe campers will be waiting days or weeks before launch. I'd rather wait until after the release to see if there are any complaints. Although Apple has been fine on fixing problems, I just don't like the inconvenience.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Nah. Just trying to depress the stock price so they can buy more. It's an old, old game.

It's illegal if the rumors are untrue.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    While every reply so far in this thread could be true, so could the production delays stated in the article. Production problems do happen and I'd wager they are much more common than these conspiracies being real.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I'd rather wait until after the release to see if there are any complaints.

The complaint that goes like this, "Why did I waste $499 or more on a giant iPod Touch?"
  • Reply 16 of 55
    yesicanyesican Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The complaint that goes like this, "Why did I waste $499 or more on a giant iPod Touch?"

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

Don't forget 16Gb- more like 14Gb= approx 5 movies and music. I'll wait for the 2Gen or price drop by September.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I hope they do. However, they cannot offer pre-orders before they get the FCC approval.

Psst. Wifi devices don't need FCC approval - because they approved WiFi devices ages ago - and oddly enough - they haven't duct taped laser-cats to it, or made other modifications that would require re-approval.

A new 3G device sure - but that's not coming out in March.

Why. Trying to pump the stock? If so I've got some laser-cats I'd like to sell you. MEW PEW!
  • Reply 18 of 55
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Could be true or just another rumor. Regardless, I'm sure that more will be pre-ordering as soon as you can order one. In the alternative--look to long lines at the Apple Store--maybe campers will be waiting days or weeks before launch. I'd rather wait until after the release to see if there are any complaints. Although Apple has been fine on fixing problems, I just don't like the inconvenience.

Quote:

Then don't buy one if it doesn't suit you. The complaint is people who complain and don't have the foresight to see the potential of what's happening. The iPad is soo much more than just a "giant iPod"--but hindsighted people fail to see the difference.

What I was referring to in my original post that was taken out of context--like anything new there's always a potential that there can be some bugs and it is best to wait until these are resolved before making the purchase.
  • Reply 19 of 55
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Windows 7 runs on netbooks. No need for laptops with larger screens and better processors right?
  • Reply 20 of 55
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Psst. Wifi devices don't need FCC approval - because they approved WiFi devices ages ago - and oddly enough - they haven't duct taped laser-cats to it, or made other modifications that would require re-approval.

A new 3G device sure - but that's not coming out in March.

Why. Trying to pump the stock?

Apple saying it does. Look at the bottom of this page.

This device has not yet been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.