HDTV Takes a blow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sony Announces their 2002 Lineup of HDTV and guess what. No Firewire. Please welcome DVI/HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). Looks like Hollywood got their wish(These people paranoia makes John Nash look like Anthony Robbins)

How this will affect what you watch and your options is not fully known but I assure you Videophiles are livid and screaming Boycott. I don't blame them...many have forked over thousands for this "moving target" called HDTV. Enjoy your DVD Recorders fellas and ladies..that's as good as it will get most likely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Or just wait a year or three and you'll be able to buy whatever you want from one of the Chinese manufacturers. They don't own movie studios or TV nets etc so are likely to be oriented solely towards giving The Customer? what s/he actually wants.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>Or just wait a year or three and you'll be able to buy whatever you want from one of the Chinese manufacturers. They don't own movie studios or TV nets etc so are likely to be oriented solely towards giving The Customer? what s/he actually wants.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's scary!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Right now I'm watching Red Planet on HBO-HD and it looks frickin' amazing. I have the DVD also (not a good movie, but I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi) and it doesn't look half this sharp.

The point is, while the industry spends years and years trying to figure out standards, in the mean time thousands and thousands of "old style" HDTV sets are sold and installed and it becomes harder for anybody to impose a new standard that eliminates all these installed sets from being able to display HD.

Oh, and Sony isn't the only one making sets without firewire.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>Right now I'm watching Red Planet on HBO-HD and it looks frickin' amazing. I have the DVD also (not a good movie, but I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi) and it doesn't look half this sharp.

The point is, while the industry spends years and years trying to figure out standards, in the mean time thousands and thousands of "old style" HDTV sets are sold and installed and it becomes harder for anybody to impose a new standard that eliminates all these installed sets from being able to display HD.

Oh, and Sony isn't the only one making sets without firewire.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sizzle...how do you get HDTV. Through DirecTV right? Do you notice many variances in quality?