Help, removing a "phantom" windows partition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

few months ago I used boot camp assistent to add a Windows partition on my Macbook pro hard drive, about 40 gb, I installed windows 7, I couldn't manage to restarte the computer in MacOSX (i didn't had internet access) and I din't know that you just have to press option at start up, so I did a "format c:", the day later I found out what to do and I used again Bootcamp assistent to erase the partition, but even if I removed the partition, my hard drive still "see" only 460 gb instead of 500 (by looking at finder and tech tool deluxe), my hard drive shoud be 500gb.

What should I do, to fix this, without formatting everything on mac and re-install all the programs.

thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by raphael1982 View Post

Hi,

few months ago I used boot camp assistent to add a Windows partition on my Macbook pro hard drive, about 40 gb, I installed windows 7, I couldn't manage to restarte the computer in MacOSX (i didn't had internet access) and I din't know that you just have to press option at start up, so I did a "format c:", the day later I found out what to do and I used again Bootcamp assistent to erase the partition, but even if I removed the partition, my hard drive still "see" only 460 gb instead of 500 (by looking at finder and tech tool deluxe), my hard drive shoud be 500gb.

What should I do, to fix this, without formatting everything on mac and re-install all the programs.

thanks,

Get a blank external drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your whole OS X partition to the external, repair permissions on both afterwards and hold option boot to the clone to check it out, make sure everything is fine.

Then you can do what you want, erase (with Zero option to improve data retention, only needed once per drive) and format the whole original boot drive, reverse clone OS X back onto the original boot drive and do the whole Boot Camp/install Windows all over again.

Warning: Erasing or formatting a boot drive will delete all data on the drive.