Sun former CEO: Steve Jobs threatened to sue us over patents too

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Former chief executive of Sun Jonathan Schwartz has accused Steve Jobs of threatening patent action against his company in 2003, related to desktop OS technologies, in a long blog post that highlights a series of tech patent squabbles.

Schwartz introduced his blog posting commiserating for Google, although Apple's current patent lawsuit is actually being taken against HTC, the hardware partner behind the Google-branded Nexus One, and does not directly involve Google at all.

HTC also makes most of the other significant Android phones on the market as well as a number of high profile Windows Mobile phones, both under its own brand and cobranded with other companies.

Schwartz said that Jobs called him personally in 2003 "to let me know the graphical effects [in Sun's Project Looking Glass project] were ?stepping all over Apple?s [Intellectual Property]." If Sun decided to release the product commercially, Jobs reportedly threatened to sue for infringement.

Schwartz said that Sun chose not to launch the product in question, but that the decision was not affected by Jobs' threat. Instead, he said Sun abandoned the Linux desktop user interface shell because it thought there would be no market for a Windows desktop competitor among businesses.

The point of the blog posting was further muddled by Schwartz's comments that Apple's Keynote app was likely infringing on intellectual property in Sun's Concurrence. It is an open secret that Apple based elements of its suite of iWork apps on a series of productivity apps created by Lighthouse Design for Jobs' original NeXT Computer.

Schwartz was a cofounder of Lighthouse, and therefore an associate of Jobs during his stint at NeXT. The Lighthouse apps were "the Offices suite" for NeXT, and were a personal favorite of Jobs. NeXT needed Lighthouse because Microsoft had refused to port its Office apps to the platform, with Bill Gates famously saying he'd rather "piss on it" than develop apps for the advanced operating system Jobs created after leaving Apple.

However, when Sun bought Lighthouse in the mid 1990s, it locked up the company's suite of apps and threw away the key, abandoning all new development. Apple was then forced to create a Cocoa-based productivity suite on its own over the last decade, as Sun had no interest in developing for Cocoa because it was then focused on pushing Java.

Microsoft only begrudgingly did the least amount of work necessary to get its existing Mac Office running on the new Mac OS X, using Apple's legacy Carbon environment rather than porting Office to use the advanced new Cocoa frameworks.

Apple is now touting iWork as a suitable replacement for Office on the Mac desktop, and debuting it as the first multitouch productivity suite, developed for the upcoming iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    This reeks of me-too-ism... as in... it's not stealing, in fact, somehow even though I'm infringing I'm the victim type of claim.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    It's Steve Jobs' world, everyone else is just living in it.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If Apple did infringe Prince wouldn't step on that alter.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    ssttuussttuu Posts: 3member
    What I cannot understand is the outrage Apple is recieving for sueing HTC. There's a most bloody war being fought, in the smartphone sector.

Apple is the target of Nokia, Kodak and other minor players. Putting aside the urgent need for patent reform, Apple is seeking leverage. It needs to test its patents in court, the least bloody way to test those is with a small timer like HTC.

Once it has proven patents Nokia will step back and if it hurts Android and Windows Phones in the process Apple will feel it this won 2-0.

Shooting wars often hurt civilians, sadly in this case its HTC who takes the proxy war.
  • Reply 5 of 88
    azazel-azazel- Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Schwartz said that Sun chose not to launch the product in question, but that the decision was not affected by Jobs' threat. Instead, he said Sun abandoned the Linux desktop user interface shell because it thought there would be no market for a Windows desktop competitor among businesses.

That, and it looked like half-assed crap. I remember when there was quite a buzz going around about Project Looking Glass, and many comparisons were made to OS X at the time. Doesn't surprise me at all if this is true.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    CEOs calling one another to inform them they are infringing on their IP instead of using lawyers as intermediaries sounds awfully gentlemanly.
  • Reply 7 of 88
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Looks like Sun did everything wrong.

I think we've heard enough from Mr. Schwartz and his now-defunct company.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    angusyoungangusyoung Posts: 184member
    Quote:

Microsoft only begrudgingly did the least amount of work necessary to get its existing Mac Office running on the new Mac OS X, using Apple's legacy Carbon environment rather than porting Office to use the advanced new Cocoa frameworks.

If Microsoft Office is that Bad then why do 3/4 of Mac users have it on their Mac.

It puts a smile on Steve Balmer's face with every sale.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1380...se_office.html

And now that it's Cocoa I imagine that will only go up.

Besides, Microsoft is Apple's new BFF to fight off Google dominance in every market.

Good luck with Bing!
  • Reply 9 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

CEOs calling one another to inform them they are infringing on their IP instead of using lawyers as intermediaries sounds awfully gentlemanly.

Steve Jobs is not a gentleman and never has been.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

I see your shift has started.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

If Microsoft Office is that Bad then why do 3/4 of Mac users have it on their Mac.

Because people are under the impression that they somehow need MS Office and that nothing else exists in the Office suite market. It's what they use at work and they assume it's what they need at home. They're bringing that Windows mentality to the Mac platform. I feel sorry for them, but Apple seems to be making some headway in weaning people off Windows. Like a dangerous addiction, it takes time to bring users around. They aren't going to quit cold turkey and feel alright.

Quote:

The next time you have lunch with him tell him I said hi.
  • Reply 12 of 88
    bfuldabfulda Posts: 37member
    Who cares what Jonathan Schwarz has to say. As far as I can tell, he has been the most over paid, unsuccessful CEO in history. So he has an opinion. Big deal, so does my dog and right now I need to take him out...
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Quote:

Isn't that a typo?
  • Reply 14 of 88
    Quote:

I heard the wine bottle open in your thread and thought I'd post before I couldn't understand your ever so informative 9 page posting and the infamous French quotes that you look up in Wiki.
  • Reply 15 of 88
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Jobs also invented suing people who infringe on your patents.

Oh, wait...
  • Reply 16 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Because people are under the impression that they somehow need MS Office and that nothing else exists in the Office suite market. It's what they use at work and they assume it's what they need at home.

The oddest thing about his post is the weird ass logic that the popularity of Office for Mac means that MS has put extensive resources into the Mac office suite development.

The truth is Office for Mac is one of the handful of areas MS makes money, but MS has used Office for Mac as leverage against Apple by stalling updates and features.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Because people are under the impression that they somehow need MS Office and that nothing else exists in the Office suite market. It's what they use at work and they assume it's what they need at home. They're bringing that Windows mentality to the Mac platform. I feel sorry for them, but Apple seems to be making some headway in weaning people off Windows. Like a dangerous addiction, it takes time to bring users around. They aren't going to quit cold turkey and feel alright.

The next time you have lunch with him tell him I said hi.

It doesn't matter to Microsoft. It's still cash in their pockets.

I wouldn't have lunch with Steve Jobs. He'd probably tell me he forgot his wallet and make me pay for it. Plus the thought of it makes me lose my appetite (much like your postings).
  • Reply 18 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

Isn't that a typo?

Nice!
  • Reply 19 of 88
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

It doesn't matter to Microsoft. It's still cash in their pockets.

I wouldn't have lunch with Steve Jobs. He'd probably tell me he forgot his wallet and make me pay for it. Plus the thought of it makes me lose my appetite (much like your postings).

Why are you here?
  • Reply 20 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why are you here?

To ask why 3/4 of Mac users that don't care for Microsoft need them. It was a part of the article. Why are you asking other than to troll me.