ibook G4 running 10.4.9--should I upgrade my OS?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm running 10.4.9 on my 1.2 ghz G4--I have no idea why that version; I think it's because that's what the ASU app chose to update to from 10.4.6. I've been having some issues with my (2004 version) Airport Extreme base station and suggestions for addressing these made on another (the Apple Discussions) forum were based on config options available with newer versions of Airport Admin Utility. Mine is version 4.2 and my airport firmware is similarly ancient, 405.1. If I upgrade these I may have to upgrade to at least OS 10.4.11. I have the Leopard OS (10.5.6), but I've been reluctant to install it on such an old computer, fearing slower performance. Any suggestions regarding the best combo for my hardware? Ps God knows what firmware version I'm running on my Ibook; I haven't upgraded that in ages. PPS my issues are related to my ibook signing onto neighbors' wifi networks instead of mine. Apparently one has more control over this with newer version of the Airport Utility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Never mind I got my question answered at an Apple store. I'd delete this but I don't know how and am too lazy to search for instructions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by evaness View Post

I'm running 10.4.9 on my 1.2 ghz G4--I have no idea why that version; I think it's because that's what the ASU app chose to update to from 10.4.6. I've been having some issues with my (2004 version) Airport Extreme base station and suggestions for addressing these made on another (the Apple Discussions) forum were based on config options available with newer versions of Airport Admin Utility. Mine is version 4.2 and my airport firmware is similarly ancient, 405.1. If I upgrade these I may have to upgrade to at least OS 10.4.11. I have the Leopard OS (10.5.6), but I've been reluctant to install it on such an old computer, fearing slower performance. Any suggestions regarding the best combo for my hardware? Ps God knows what firmware version I'm running on my Ibook; I haven't upgraded that in ages. PPS my issues are related to my ibook signing onto neighbors' wifi networks instead of mine. Apparently one has more control over this with newer version of the Airport Utility.