Existing file not accessible in Finder... please help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a folder containing htm files for a client. One of the files is contact.htm which is a contact form. The file doesn't show up in Finder. Thus, I can't call it up in BBEdit.

I've tried:

(1) Viewing the source of the online version, copying it into a blank (new) file in BBEdit, then "Save As" contact.htm ...the result is a prompt from BBEdit, asking whether I want to replace the existing file. I say, Yes. The file STILL doesn't appear in Finder.

(2) Downloading the file via FTP from the server directory. The FTP program (in my case, Filezilla) asks whether I want to replace the existing file. I say, Yes. The file STILL doesn't appear in Finder.

I can't open the file in BBEdit (because it doesn't appear in Finder).

I can't find the file in a search.

I tried the Disk Doctor to verify permissions. I tried rebooting the system. No luck.

I suppose, another option might be to create a new folder and copy all files...but this would seem a little weird. Does this problem indicate a hardware error?

Next?

(MacBookPro, MacOSX 10.6.2)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    How do you know the file exists, if it doesn't show in the Finder?

Maybe it's been saved somewhere else. Have you tried Spotlight to find it?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

How do you know the file exists, if it doesn't show in the Finder?

Maybe it's been saved somewhere else. Have you tried Spotlight to find it?

As stated in my question:

(1) It doesn't show up in Spotlight

and I *KNOW* the file exists because:

(2) I get prompted to *replace* the --existing-- file when I attempt either to File==Save As the same filename from BBEdit OR download a file by the same name using an FTP program!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You said the file didn't show up in a search. I didn't assume that meant Spotlight.

Does the file show up in the Save As... window?

What happens if you try to save it with a different name?

The only theory I've got right now is your file has the hidden file bit turned on for some reason (because of its origin from an FTP server perhaps?), and writing over it with a file of the same name inherits this setting. If you want you can view hidden files using TinkerTool or others that provide this option, but I'd try saving it under another name first.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You said the file didn't show up in a search. I didn't assume that meant Spotlight.

Does the file show up in the Save As... window?

What happens if you try to save it with a different name?

The only theory I've got right now is your file has the hidden file bit turned on for some reason (because of its origin from an FTP server perhaps?), and writing over it with a file of the same name inherits this setting. If you want you can view hidden files using TinkerTool or others that provide this option, but I'd try saving it under another name first.

Okay, when I got TinkerTool to help me find the booger, sure enough, it's a hidden file. I'm enough of a frosh not to know how, to turn off the hidden bit of a file. So what I've done is much as what you've suggested: delete the hidden file; create a new file by a different name; and rename the new file. Yes, overkill, perhaps. It worked.

Thank you, very much, for your very kind, patient, and gracious help!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Glad it worked. Now don't forget to re-hide those hidden files. Normally you don't want to mess with them at all.