Cannot boot MBP in target mode or from CD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I cannot get a MBP to boot up in target mode or from a CD (trying to reinstall the OS). It's as if the keyboard is disabled during boot.

I've tried the original CDs and a new Leopard CD. I tried an external keyboard, but that didn't work either. I tried all the normal holding the T key, and the C key. It's as if the BIOS is screwed up. But, the computer works OK if I boot it in normal mode.

Unfortunately, there's only a standard user and no one knows the admin credentials, so if I stick in the OS disk to wipe and reinstall, it asks for credentials. I even installed a new HD, even though that shouldn't have anything to do with it, but again, I cannot boot in target mode or a CD. I can put the original HD back in, but I don't know what to do if I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Apparently there was an open firmware password I didn't know about that was causing the issue. I held down the Option key and noticed the lock on the screen asking for a password. Got it fixed. I changed the amount of RAM, turned on the computer, did a PRAM reset (don't know if I had to), then was able to boot from CD and reinstall OS X.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmcomputer View Post

I cannot get a MBP to boot up in target mode or from a CD (trying to reinstall the OS). It's as if the keyboard is disabled during boot.

I've tried the original CDs and a new Leopard CD. I tried an external keyboard, but that didn't work either. I tried all the normal holding the T key, and the C key. It's as if the BIOS is screwed up. But, the computer works OK if I boot it in normal mode.

Unfortunately, there's only a standard user and no one knows the admin credentials, so if I stick in the OS disk to wipe and reinstall, it asks for credentials. I even installed a new HD, even though that shouldn't have anything to do with it, but again, I cannot boot in target mode or a CD. I can put the original HD back in, but I don't know what to do if I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.