Post your favorite/or not browser plug-ins

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Choice is good, I chose Apple for their reliable and stable computers and have done so ever since they have had them.

So post your favorite add-ons and even themes, or even mention one's you were not happy with. There are thousands of them. So it would be good to have a idea what other Mac users have found to be very useful. Perhaps Apple will adopt a few of those features for future Safari versions.

(disclaimer: no connection to any browser maker or any of the plug-ins I mention)

Firefox:

SmoothWheel - what this does is makes scrolling very smooth and slick.

Split Browser - allows one to split the window into many configurations, mainly to compare two sites without having to open another window.

NoSquint - remembers the zoom level of sites that you set

FastestFox - does a lot of things, but my favorite is how it pages all of Google's search results on one page, so one can just keep on scrolling...and scrolling...

FlagFox - displays the country flag of the IP of the website where it's hosted in the URL field. So if you think your visiting a .ru (Russia) site it might be hosted the UK or US for example.

Morning Coffee - one click loads the sites you want everyday or by the day.

WOT - Web of Trust - a rating of sites and links in web email based upon a color code, green is good, red is bad and all types in between.

TV-Fox - sounds great, but not a lot of sites load. Mostly mobile versions, although there are a few nice web cams. Can do in a pinch if your bored and no tv around. It's not as good as real TV.

BetterPrivacy - Flash cookies are not cleared by your browser, leaving a nice trail. This deletes them.

Ghostery - identifies and blocks web bugs.

Because so many sites depend upon scripts and loading content from other sites, these plug-ins can interrupt the display of sites. But offers a lot of control over malicious and unwanted behavior. Once you allow the sites you trust, the display is as intended.

RequestPolicy - controls cross site requests - can help with cross site scripting attacks.

NoScript - allows scripts to run only on trusted sites you choose.

AdBlock Plus - name says it all, block those really annoying ads that ruin the web for everyone. (note: sound, pop ups/unders, blinking and distracting animation)

Interesting:

TrackMeNot - Randomizes search queries to the major search engines periodically in order to confuse profiling attempts at big brother Google. The search terms are displayed for your approval of course.

So that's what I'm trying out now, what do you have?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    woohoo!woohoo! Posts: 291member
    Cooliris 1.11.6 for Firefox

Wow! better have a hefty machine like a quad core Mac desktop or better as this Flash intense monster will eat CPU cycles like crazy.

It maxed out my dual core MacBook Pro when running video, the 3D effects are amazing.

It's creates a massive 3D wall of images, YouTube videos or TV channels. Very impressive, but hard on your machine if you run video. Be warned!

Advertisement supported, but one has to click it to watch the ads.

Fission

Fission combines the progress bar with the address bar like in Safari. Gives a more accurate page load status than the spinning icon in the tab.