MBP to hdvt - mini displayport to dvi -> belkin dvi to hdmi

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey, I'm trying to get my laptop hooked up to my tv, using the apple mini displayport to DVI -> belkin DVI to HDMI cable setup (as recommended by the dude int eh apple store - which i knew and planned on doing anyway :P).

anyway, when i first plugged it in to the tv in my hotel room it worked, 1080p, then stopped .. then randomly worked again after a few ties. Once I got home i hooked it up to my sharp aquos 42 and worked fine, then after it was unplugged and tried to get it working again, it basically just.. wouldn't - i don't get a picture/signal on the tv, no options in the display cp , nor does the screen go blue when it normally finds a monitor/tv. i've tried plugging it in both ends, restarting, turning tv off/on, everything to no avail. I know the dvi-hdmi cable works, used it from a windows desktop to make sure. the mini displayport to DVI works for DVI 100% of the time into one of my monitors.

as mentioned it had worked at first on and off..., and now i cant get it working on my 1080p tv, nor the 720p one that's in my room, neither of them get a picture/signal; no options in display control panel either, or the quick display flash to blue. Furthermore, sometimes when unplugging the dvi cable from the tv i get the laptop screen flash, as when it picks the device up initially.

I never got my emailed invoice from apple when I bought the cables in in SF during macworld so I cant just return it to apple I'm sure.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, please help this is making me go crazy... worked and now nothing no matter what i try. Oh, also tried on another, new user to see if it was a weird setting that got saved.

mbp running 10.6.2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggle View Post

Hey, I'm trying to get my laptop hooked up to my tv, using the apple mini displayport to DVI -> belkin DVI to HDMI cable setup (as recommended by the dude int eh apple store - which i knew and planned on doing anyway :P).

anyway, when i first plugged it in to the tv in my hotel room it worked, 1080p, then stopped .. then randomly worked again after a few ties. Once I got home i hooked it up to my sharp aquos 42 and worked fine, then after it was unplugged and tried to get it working again, it basically just.. wouldn't - i don't get a picture/signal on the tv, no options in the display cp , nor does the screen go blue when it normally finds a monitor/tv. i've tried plugging it in both ends, restarting, turning tv off/on, everything to no avail. I know the dvi-hdmi cable works, used it from a windows desktop to make sure. the mini displayport to DVI works for DVI 100% of the time into one of my monitors.

as mentioned it had worked at first on and off..., and now i cant get it working on my 1080p tv, nor the 720p one that's in my room, neither of them get a picture/signal; no options in display control panel either, or the quick display flash to blue. Furthermore, sometimes when unplugging the dvi cable from the tv i get the laptop screen flash, as when it picks the device up initially.

I never got my emailed invoice from apple when I bought the cables in in SF during macworld so I cant just return it to apple I'm sure.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, please help this is making me go crazy... worked and now nothing no matter what i try. Oh, also tried on another, new user to see if it was a weird setting that got saved.

mbp running 10.6.2

Why on earth didn't you just get the MDP to HDMI cable? Why use a two-step conversion process when you don't have to?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    iggleiggle Posts: 3member
    well, mainly because I didn't know about the mini displayport to hdmi adapter at the time, seeing as apple doesn't make it i never thought to look aroudn for 3rd party :P
  • Reply 3 of 4
    iggleiggle Posts: 3member
    anyone have any ideas? I'm still stuck and nothing will work for this. recently installed os x again, fresh new install, and still it wont work.. as mentioned it worked at first then jsut stopped all of a sudden, and now I cannot get it going at all.

vgi-hdmi cable works on a windows machine to the tv perfectly fine, minidisplayport->vgi works to monitor fine.. i don't understand why this wont work at all. It doesn't even flash when it detects the device at first..

any help would be greatly appreciated
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iggle View Post

anyone have any ideas? I'm still stuck and nothing will work for this. recently installed os x again, fresh new install, and still it wont work.. as mentioned it worked at first then jsut stopped all of a sudden, and now I cannot get it going at all.

vgi-hdmi cable works on a windows machine to the tv perfectly fine, minidisplayport->vgi works to monitor fine.. i don't understand why this wont work at all. It doesn't even flash when it detects the device at first..

any help would be greatly appreciated

If I were you I'd just spend the $9 at Monoprice and go mini dp to HDMI. I have my mini connected through and Onkyo receiver to my TV and it works great.