IE for Mac 5.2 support discontinued

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
By sheer chance I found out that Micro$haft has sneakily, without any notice afaik, dropped support for InternetExplorer for Mac 5.2 since last Saturday! This is what I get when I try to run Youtube videos:

And a colorful rolling beachball...

IE R.I.P.

So does that mean that M$ don't have a browser for OSX anymore?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    rob_06rob_06 Posts: 75member
    IE for mac was actually discontinued back in 2002.

And to answer your question M$ doesn't hasn't had a browser for mac since 2002 either.

I still have it on an older mac for testing if all else fails at times things do.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

IE for mac was actually discontinued back in 2002.

And to answer your question M$ doesn't hasn't had a browser for mac since 2002 either.

Well, they still updated it until 2005, and supported it until last Saturday...

Quote:

I still have it on an older mac for testing if all else fails at times things do.

Well, it looks like you can trash that one (as I've done), because it is really dead now...
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Well, they still updated it until 2005, and supported it until last Saturday....

If by support, you mean that Microsoft issued no feature, security, or compatibility upgrades for the last five years while it descended into incompatibility with darned near everything, then I have no choice but to agree. Microsoft supported Internet Explorer 5.2.3 until last Saturday.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    palterpalter Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

If by support, you mean that Microsoft issued no feature, security, or compatibility upgrades for the last five years while it descended into incompatibility with darned near everything, then I have no choice but to agree. Microsoft supported Internet Explorer 5.2.3 until last Saturday.

Umm...

The image in the original post shows that it's YouTube that is no longer supporting Mac IE. Microsoft dropped support for it years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    You see a lot of the same problems with Firefox 2.0 as well. If you're running an old computer with an old browser, you're going to have some issues. That's just the way it goes.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

You see a lot of the same problems with Firefox 2.0 as well. If you're running an old computer with an old browser, you're going to have some issues. That's just the way it goes.

Believable if you don't know better. I have actually checked problematic sites against older browsers--browsers a wee bit older than Firefox 2.0. It is undeniably true that many older browsers have issues, but the issues have varying degrees of seriousness. Of the older browsers, IE is more likely than most not to work at all. That's just the way it goes.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    With all the various browsers around, why would anyone need IE for the Mac?

I kind of like the idea that Microsoft has finally lost control over something.

If IE is a must, perhaps a demo of CrossOver will give you answers. It should work well with the current version of IE.

As of today, you will find it here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/

Yes, Apple removed the Downloads tab at the top of their home page, and replaced it with the iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The real question is, why would someone be using IE for Mac?

IN 2010 we *shouldn't care* that MS ended support for IE 5-point-whatever in the first place.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

With all the various browsers around, why would anyone need IE for the Mac?

Because without it there is one less browser for OSX. And the more (competition) the better.

Quote:

I kind of like the idea that Microsoft has finally lost control over something.

Absolutely! After almost a quarter century of domination, this is a godsend.

Quote:

If IE is a must, perhaps a demo of CrossOver will give you answers. It should work well with the current version of IE.

CrossOver works well enough on OSX. But IE 7 and 8 are not downloadable to an OSX machine.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Because without it there is one less browser for OSX. And the more (competition) the better.

Earth to Rokcet Scientist: Microsoft stopped development of Internet Explorer for the Mac years ago. For those of us who still have it installed on our computers, IE:mac is barely functional. How does an obsolete unsupported barely-functional browser compete with anything?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    solareinsolarein Posts: 143member
    Quote:

By sheer chance I found out that Micro$haft has sneakily, without any notice afaik, dropped support for InternetExplorer for Mac 5.2 since last Saturday! This is what I get when I try to run Youtube videos:

And a colorful rolling beachball...

IE R.I.P.

So does that mean that M$ don't have a browser for OSX anymore?

This clearly shows that Youtube has dropped support for the browser. How does this have anything to do with Microsoft dropping support for the browser?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Why would you still want to run IE 5?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShredderClay View Post

Why would you still want to run IE 5?

Because some websites don't load/function properly in Safari. In situations like that it makes sense to test if/how that website does in other browsers, in order to determine whether it's a browser problem or a website problem. IE5 was the (last) Mac browser from the big gorilla in browser/software land: M$. So, it makes sense to test that browser first.

If the website does run properly in IEfM, while W3C's validation test reports errors and inconsistencies, then it is clear the website was built according to proprietary M$ 'rules' instead of according to W3C protocols. And that explains neatly why that website doesn't work properly in Safari, because Safari assumes W3C protocols are followed (that is the function of protocols). So the cause is then not a technical shortcoming in Safari, but applied monopolistic marketing pressure of M$!

Be aware, though, that most Mac browsers 'allow' to a certain extent ? give in is a more appropriate term ? for M$ browser rules' idiosyncrasies. Deference to the big gorilla.

But that's all water under the bridge now. I've already uninstalled IEfM 5.2. Moving on.