Apple's iMac to account for 25% of global desktop growth in 2010

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
After roughly two years of declines, growth in worldwide market for desktop PC sales is poised to rebound into the black during the 2010 calendar year, thanks largely to Apple's latest iMac offerings, according to a published report.

In a research note issued Wednesday by Caris & Company, analyst Robert Cihra said growth in the overall PC market for 2010 is trending upwards of 15 to 20%, fueled by greater than 90% growth in combined sales of netbooks and notebooks.

At the same time, however, he said desktop sales are showing signs of life for the first time in 24 months, given strong performance of Apple's iMac line that could boost year-over-year shipments by approximately 3%, compared to last year's 12% slippage.

"We continue to model note/netbook accounting for greater than 90% of PC unit growth in 2010, but with desktops at least now looking like they?ve stopped eroding and can resume at least some low single-digit recovery after 2 years of decline, driven by emerging markets, corporate workhorse use and power gamers," Cihra wrote. "But believe it or not, we estimate Apple?s iMac accounting for a full 1/4 of ALL desktop market growth in calendar year 2010."

Regionally, the analyst estimates that while US corporate demand for PCs is finally gaining some steam, the majority of overall growth in the sector is likely to come from emerging markets like Western Europe and Japan, which he sees accounting for some 70% of the market's growth. This would represent the first time international sales contributed to more than 50% of the market, he added.

The iMac's contributions to global desktop growth shouldn't necessarily come as a surprise. Following the October introduction of new 21- and 27-inch models, Apple in November saw its combined Mac sales rise by 21%, driven by a staggering 74% growth rate in sales of desktop Macs.

During its most recent quarter ended December, the Cupertino-based company continued to ride on the new iMacs' momentum, reporting a 57% rise in desktop sales sequentially, which translated into a 70% jump year-over-year. Revenues for the segment were also up 55% and 62%, respectively.

In his report Wednesday, Cihra offered comments of praise to this end, backslapping the Mac maker for remaining in control of its own product and pricing schedules. This has allowed the company to maintain much higher overall ASPs (average selling prices) than its peers while still delivering more affordable prices to its customers.

Caris & Company, which reiterated its Buy rating on shares of Apple, expects the Mac to grow at 1.6 times the industry average during the 2010 calendar year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 149
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Looks like Apple C is doing the right thing--way to go Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 149
    Report: Apple To Reach "Gargantuan" Status By 2011.
  • Reply 3 of 149
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.

Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.
  • Reply 4 of 149
    iluviluv Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Since then PCs have come down in price so much I can't see myself buying the iMac, even if Apple ever put a modern optical drive in it. Here in the UK I can literally get a Dell with a higher spec for HALF the price. Just nuts.

But then it will only last 1/3 the time, and 2/3 of your time will be spent battling viruses.

Dell wants to buy up Apple and shut it down! But they will FAIL.
  • Reply 5 of 149
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLuv View Post

But then it will only last 1/3 the time, and 2/3 of your time will be spent battling viruses.

Dell wants to buy up Apple and shut it down! But they will FAIL.

Oh give it a rest.

I haven't had a virus on a PC in the best part of a decade.
  • Reply 6 of 149
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

I was ready to buy a 27" top of the line iMac last year, until I saw it lacked a blu-ray drive.

A Dell is a computer.

An Apple is an experience.
  • Reply 7 of 149
    Quote:

Oh give it a rest.

I haven't had a virus on a PC in the best part of a decade.

Thats because your Dell is always BSOD.
  • Reply 8 of 149
    Well from a shareholder perspective this is good news. From a consumer point of view it sure looks like the Apple Tax is not only alive and well - it's getting bigger.

I'm looking forward to price reductions and/or huge leaps in the offerings soon.
  • Reply 9 of 149
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTattoo View Post

Well from a shareholder perspective this is good news. From a consumer point of view it sure looks like the Apple Tax is not only alive and well - it's getting bigger.

I'm looking forward to price reductions and/or huge leaps in the offerings soon.

I don't think pricing is the crucial point. An Apple usually holds more value than computers from other manufacturers. But it would be good, if Apple would spend some more of their money. For example a neat big server farm in Europe would be great!
  • Reply 10 of 149
    Quote:

Thats because your Dell is always BSOD.

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.
  • Reply 11 of 149
    that good news!
  • Reply 12 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Another clueless member. Something tells me you haven't the slightest idea what would even cause a BSOD.

Windows.
  • Reply 13 of 149
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Ah this argument again.

BS.

Every once in while I see this argument and I go shopping around the net for the mythical 50% off computer. I use simple rules. I am trying to match a computer made by Apple, so I only count machines that are actually similar in parts, quality, and features. Then I add software until I have something at least close to the Mac in question.

Most of the time the PC costs more before I even get to the software part.

Just because Dell sells some ugly tower with a CPU almost as fast and a monitor a little smaller but of lower quality and with a smaller drive size and with a less capable graphics card, that does not mean it is the same computer.

...and all of that is before I factor in that the dell is running windows, and having spent a decade being in charge of over 400 windows machines, i know what pain feels like, and I will never go back to running that "software" again.
  • Reply 14 of 149
    Quote:

Hey, kotatsu, I see that you're taking up the mantle for teckstud with your blu-ray whine. What next? Glossy screens?

PS: If you so badly want a brp and a Mac, buy the former for $100 and hook it up. There, done.
  • Reply 15 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the majority of overall growth in the sector is likely to come from emerging markets like Western Europe and Japan, which he sees accounting for some 70% of the market's growth.

Western Europe and Japan are emerging markets? WTF year is analyst Robert Cihra living in...1950?
  • Reply 16 of 149
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTattoo View Post

Dont hold your breath while waiting for those price reductions...the whole point of the article is that they have engineeried their business so that they do not need to give price breaks to maintain their viability.

Notice how the ASP on HP/Dell notebooks takes an absolute nosedive? I am pretty sure that during the same period their sales didnt accelerate any faster than Apples. Big win for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

I use simple rules. I am trying to match a computer made by Apple, so I only count machines that are actually similar in parts, quality, and features.

No window's machine even comes close to a Mac in parts, quality and features. Not even close. Mac's RULE!
  • Reply 18 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey, kotatsu, I see that you're taking up the mantle for teckstud with your blu-ray whine.

Blu-Ray is a bag of hurt! Don't get Blu-Ray! We hate Blu-Ray!
  • Reply 19 of 149
    My 4-year old powerbook just blew a logic board. I was considering replacing it with a sexy new macbook until I realized that iPad + iMac is both fiscally and conveniently a better deal. Most of the time I'm on the go I don't really want a full computer, but when I want a full computer, I want a huge screen, lots of space and no heat on my lap.

I have my 27" iMac on a cart so if I want to bring it to different rooms I can and in that way it is portable, but I would never need it in another location besides my house.
  • Reply 20 of 149
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Windows.

Viruses, BSOD??? Guess you have not used a PC lately.

1. you would have to be a total moron not to protect you pc in about 10 min

2. BSOD? Guess you have not heard of windows 7 then.

Actually its hardware/drivers.