Any AT Thru-Hikers Out There?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am planning to hike the Appalachian Trail this spring and summer. If any of you have already hiked the whole thing, please get in touch with me, I have a few questions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    You are gonna hike the WHOLE trail? :eek: Wow..good luck. Somehow I don't think you are gonna find too many on this forum that have hiked it. I live fairly close to it and wouldn't mind, but don't have the time/expense for it.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Josey Wales:

<strong>You are gonna hike the WHOLE trail? :eek: Wow..good luck. Somehow I don't think you are gonna find too many on this forum that have hiked it. I live fairly close to it and wouldn't mind, but don't have the time/expense for it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks Josey. I didn't think I would find many people here who had hiked it (after all, you have to leave your mac at home ) But I figured it was worth a try.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>

Only if you point it at yourself and pull the trigger.

John Ashcroft is not going to be out there protecting you so ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank God! I think I'd be more scared of John Ashcroft with a gun then me with one
  • Reply 4 of 16
    How many pairs of Asolo's or Vasques you planning on going through?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Take iBook with solar panel or crank.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Definately take a camera! And post back here with pics/details of your hike! I would love to hear about it.

And, I would suggest probably some personal protection...no groverat, not that kind of protection! I'm talking about a weapon if that's possible...due to the various creatures that could harm you, man included, unfortunately.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Stroszek, there is a book you need to read. It's called (I believe) "A Walk Through the Woods" by Bill Bryson. There is no real technical hiking information there, but there is a good amount of human insight you'd be better off having than not.

One book you *don't* want to read is Deliverance. I used to live in northern Georgia and a few times went up into the mountainous areas to go fishing or whatever. And while I was generally too young to understand the concept of "REEeeee!", in retrospect I'm not sure I'd go back to those places.

Anyway, whatever you do, my recommendation is to NOT travel alone if you can help it. Not so much because of the hill billies but because if you're miles from nowhere and break your ankle on some rough trail (or even sprain it bad), you're f*cked. A small side arm wouldn't hurt either, as Josey noted.

Personally if I were going to do the whole trail, I'd make sure there were at least two experienced hikers with me, neither of whom I would be likely to strangle after spending a week with them - cuz yer gonna be out there for closer to two dozen weeks, most likely. It's a LONG trail. Most experienced hikers simply pick a long stretch that has the scenery / exerience they want and spend a week or two doing that. Might want to consider that approach. I would.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Josey Wales:

<strong>Definately take a camera! And post back here with pics/details of your hike! I would love to hear about it.

And, I would suggest probably some personal protection...no groverat, not that kind of protection! I'm talking about a weapon if that's possible...due to the various creatures that could harm you, man included, unfortunately.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man is by far the most dangerous thing out on the AT. I haven't lived in Virginia for a while so I don't know if there's been anything recent. I knew a hillbilly type who didn't like people walking on "his mountain". His pals used to take pot shots at the hikers. Sure no one got hurt but ....
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Thanks for the advice everyone, but since the trail passes through federal lands, firearms are not permitted. Besides, I'd probably end up hurting myself with it more than anyone that I would want to hurt. lol
  • Reply 10 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>Thanks for the advice everyone, but since the trail passes through federal lands, firearms are not permitted. Besides, I'd probably end up hurting myself with it more than anyone that I would want to hurt. lol</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only if you point it at yourself and pull the trigger.

John Ashcroft is not going to be out there protecting you so ...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by His Dudeness:

<strong>How many pairs of Asolo's or Vasques you planning on going through? </strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm a Vasque kind of guy. Hopefully the pair I have now will hold up (keep your fingers crossed), but I don't think they will. Hopefully no more than 2 though.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Sundowners.

So did you succeed in your trip Stroszek?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>Stroszek, there is a book you need to read. It's called (I believe) "A Walk Through the Woods" by Bill Bryson. There is no real technical hiking information there, but there is a good amount of human insight you'd be better off having than not.

...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I read that book and didn't like it. Two old clowns on the AT. They never even finished. There's got to be better books out there by people who have.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Do do do do do do

Time warp.

I about freaked out when I saw someone posting as "Scott_H". How dare he post as me! Old dead thread brought back to life
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Thread is old but I brought it back while browsing because i was interested to see the results of his trek, assuming that he still reads this site.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Would be neat. Does he have an email?