Amazon reveals all-new Kindle e-book app for Apple iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In addition to their own respective e-ink hardware devices, booksellers Amazon and Barnes & Noble will also release their own separate digital bookstores for Apple's iPad and other touchscreen tablet devices.



Both companies revealed to The New York Times that they will create new digital readers and storefronts in addition to their existing applications for the iPhone and iPod touch. The App Store software will also compete with Apple's own iBooks application and accompanying iBookstore, which will also be available for download on the App Store rather than coming preinstalled on the device.



In particular, the Kindle application from Amazon was demonstrated to a Times reporter. It features the ability to slowly turn pages with fingers, much like Apple's own iBooks software.



"It also presents two new ways for people to view their entire e-book collection, including one view where large images of book covers are set against a backdrop of a silhouetted figure reading under a tree," the report said. "The sun's position in that image varies with the time of day."



Amazon also created a section on its Web site to promote Kindle apps for tablet computers, and the promotional material specifically cites the iPad version of the software.



"Tablet computers, including the iPad, are coming and with our free app you'll be able to read more than 450,000 Kindle books," the page reads. "Like all Kindle apps, Kindle for tablet computers will include Whispersync technology, which automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes and highlights across your Kindle and Kindle compatible devices, including PC, Mac, iPhone and BlackBerry."







Last week, Amazon released the free beta of its Kindle desktop application for the Mac. For Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and newer, the software allows Mac users to purchase and download from Amazon's catalog of digital books without the need to purchase Kindle hardware.



Meanwhile, Barnes & Noble has a team of 14 developers based at its digital unit in New York, working in a "windowless room" on redesigning the company's existing iPhone application for the iPad. It will reportedly allow users to use finger gestures to flip through their books, and present content in multiple font sizes and colors. Earlier this month, the company had already revealed its intent to release an iPad e-reader application.



While some media outlets, such as the Times and The Wall Street Journal have received iPad hardware for testing purposes early, Amazon and Barnes & Noble have not had access to the device. One recent report said the Journal's iPad was kept "under padlock and key,", and the Times report this week said essentially the same thing.



"The companies must agree to keep the iPad hidden from public view, chained to tables in windowless rooms," it said. "This although the basic look of the iPad stopped being a secret in January."



Because Barnes & Noble and Amazon have only been able to test their applications in the simulator mode included in the iPhone OS 3.2 software development kit, they will not have software available for the iPad's April 3 launch date. However, the Journal, Times, NPR and Time magazine will all reportedly have applications available for download at launch.



Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble also have their own black-and-white e-ink readers, dubbed the Kindle and Nook, respectively. One recent study found that consumer interest in the Kindle dropped sharply after Apple introduced its multimedia iPad, which features a full color LCD screen.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,679member
    Nice to see Amazon smartening up.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 904member
    Seems like a good hedge against possible faltering sales of these other readers once the iPad starts selling like hotcakes.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    This article nor Amazon's website address whether you can actually buy Kindle books directly from the iPad Kindle app. Today on the iPhone, you must go through MobileSafari and I suspect that will still be true in the new app, because Amazon won't give Apple a 30% cut of revenue. If it remains that way, iBooks will have that small one-click advantage over the Kindle app.



    Going in the other direction, Whispersync does allow all Kindles and Kindle apps (Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad) to keep track of the last page read. Apple has yet to reveal any iBooks-reading app for the Mac, PC, or iPhone. If they don't, then Kindle has the advantage of multiple platforms and syncing. I wonder if Amazon has a patent on that Whispersync method.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Good move for Amazon. Amazon needs to lower the price on the Kindle and Kindle DX to make them a more attractive alternative to the iPad for those who only want a e-reader.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Nice to see Amazon smartening up.



    I have posted several times Amazon has made the Kindle software available a long time ago. Windows users have been using it without a Kindle for a while now. Its also available soon for the Mac. So coming to the iPad wasn't exactly a great mystery.



    I post this very simple fact every time the Kindle Killer nonsense starts. Amazon isn't nearly as interested at selling hardware as they are content. Unlike Apple which makes most of their money on hardware.



    Lets try and keep up.



    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I have posted several times Amazon has made the Kindle software available a long time ago. Windows users have been using it without a Kindle for a while now. Its also available soon for the Mac. So coming to the iPad wasn't exactly a great mystery.



    I post this very simple fact every time the Kindle Killer nonsense starts. Amazon isn't nearly as interested at selling hardware as they are content. Unlike Apple which makes most of their money on hardware.



    Lets try and keep up.



    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311



    Unless Kasper posts it, they don't read it.....
  • Reply 7 of 65
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post


    Unless Kasper posts it, they don't read it.....



    I will always miss it in that "extremeskater" is on my ignore list for all the hateful, dumb, and insulting *other* posts he makes. Maybe others are missing out on his wisdom for the same reason?
  • Reply 8 of 65
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    Amazon isn't nearly as interested at selling hardware as they are content. Unlike Apple which makes most of their money on hardware.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311



    For a while there though, it did seem like Amazon was succumbing to iPad envy and was willing to turn its business model upside down and engage in suicidal hand-to-hand combat against Apple on Apple's home turf. Jeff Bezos' saner side seems to have finally won the day.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I post this very simple fact every time the Kindle Killer nonsense starts. Amazon isn't nearly as interested at selling hardware as they are content. Unlike Apple which makes most of their money on hardware.



    One could put forth a reasonable position that Amazon should focus on selling the digital content (music, videos, ebooks, etc) and the third-party devices for using that content (iPods, Zunes, iPads, Macs, PCs, etc). And that the Kindle was a way for Amazon to jumpstart the ebook market, and now that others (Apple plus other tablet makers) are delivering devices, Amazon could stop investing in hardware.



    But we know Amazon is continuing to invest in its Kindle devices as they hire more software and hardware staff to work on color, networking, etc. Why is that? Does Amazon think they need to control the end-to-end experience (like Apple)? Is Amazon protecting itself, in case iPad is the only successful tablet, and iBooks becomes a serious competitor, and Apple throws them off the iPad?
  • Reply 10 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    I will always miss it in that "extremeskater" is on my ignore list for all the hateful, dumb, and insulting *other* posts he makes. Maybe others are missing out on his wisdom for the same reason?



    There's no wisdom there. He remains on ignore, and for good reason. Even this absurd notion that Amazon suddenly doesn't care about selling hardware is more than enough to avoid listening to him all together.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post


    Unless Kasper posts it, they don't read it.....



    Yeah its kind of funny if SJ takes a dump they know about it but even thought I have posted this about 10 times now they act as if its something new.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post


    One could put forth a reasonable position that Amazon should focus on selling the digital content (music, videos, ebooks, etc) and the third-party devices for using that content (iPods, Zunes, iPads, Macs, PCs, etc). And that the Kindle was a way for Amazon to jumpstart the ebook market, and now that others (Apple plus other tablet makers) are delivering devices, Amazon could stop investing in hardware.



    But we know Amazon is continuing to invest in its Kindle devices as they hire more software and hardware staff to work on color, networking, etc. Why is that? Does Amazon think they need to control the end-to-end experience (like Apple)? Is Amazon protecting itself, in case iPad is the only successful tablet, and iBooks becomes a serious competitor, and Apple throws them off the iPad?



    I think its rather simple. Would Amazon like for you and everyone else to own a Kindle, of course. But clearly they have decided the best business model for them in this area is to push content not hardware.



    Apple makes software to promote their hardware which is where the make most of their money. Other companies sell hardware even at a loss to promote and sell their software, the gaming console industry has dont this for years. Hell buy and Xbox 360 at or below cost so I can get you to buy games at 60.00 a pop that last you a week at best.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post


    There's no wisdom there. He remains on ignore, and for good reason. Even this absurd notion that Amazon suddenly doesn't care about selling hardware is more than enough to avoid listening to him all together.



    Its sad you are so pathetic you have to put people on ignore that don't always agree with you. Are you that fragile?



    Amazon clearly would like to sell hardware just like Apple would like to sell software, yet we all know (well maybe you don't) they Apple key goal is to sell hardware and they make software to promote their hardware. Not every company in the world has that same business model and for you to think so only makes you foolish.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    techstudtechstud Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I have posted several times Amazon has made the Kindle software available a long time ago. Windows users have been using it without a Kindle for a while now. Its also available soon for the Mac. So coming to the iPad wasn't exactly a great mystery.



    I post this very simple fact every time the Kindle Killer nonsense starts. Amazon isn't nearly as interested at selling hardware as they are content. Unlike Apple which makes most of their money on hardware.



    Lets try and keep up.



    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000426311



    We all know how stupid Amazon is- right?
  • Reply 15 of 65
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post


    Good move for Amazon. Amazon needs to lower the price on the Kindle and Kindle DX to make them a more attractive alternative to the iPad for those who only want a e-reader.



    I agree. If Amazon is going to stay in the Hardware game. They need to reduce, not expand the features on the Kindle DX. Make it JUST an EReader with wi-fi capabilities for updating. Then, sell them for $99. That would keep Amazon and Barnes & Noble in the game all right. Many people would just buy one for the ability to just read a book or magazine.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Drop the personal attacks guys.



    It's interesting to see that the iBookstore will be a separate download. I was wondering when Apple's "no duplicating core functionality" policy was going to step in, but if their app is not preinstalled then it's not core functionality. Clever loophole.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post


    I think its rather simple. Would Amazon like for you and everyone else to own a Kindle, of course. But clearly they have decided the best business model for them in this area is to push content not hardware.



    Apple makes software to promote their hardware which is where the make most of their money. Other companies sell hardware even at a loss to promote and sell their software, the gaming console industry has dont this for years. Hell buy and Xbox 360 at or below cost so I can get you to buy games at 60.00 a pop that last you a week at best.



    I can sorta agree with this scenario because it would mirror what happened to sega in the video game industry. Since sega makes video games for other makers instead of having its own hardware console.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    johncmgjohncmg Posts: 10member
    Jeff Bezos stated close to 2 years ago that the kindle store and the kindle hardware are two separate divisions and hardware will have to compete to stay current and the store will release apps for any device on the market that they see fit. Sony's e-readers don't allow external apps so they don't get the Kindle app. I am sure that the new DS will get it.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post


    Drop the personal attacks guys.



    It's interesting to see that the iBookstore will be a separate download. I was wondering when Apple's "no duplicating core functionality" policy was going to step in, but if their app is not preinstalled then it's not core functionality. Clever loophole.



    Also I was wondering if Apple could run into problems if they didn't allow Amazon and B&N. Something like an anti trust issue. Not sure if legally that would be the case but I could certainly see these companies attempting to push that issue.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    I will always miss it in that "extremeskater" is on my ignore list for all the hateful, dumb, and insulting *other* posts he makes. Maybe others are missing out on his wisdom for the same reason?



    Only the cowards set up ignore lists.
Sign In or Register to comment.