Amazon reveals all-new Kindle e-book app for Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

That is a false-to-fact statement. It is inflammatory, and deliberately so. It implies support for the clear and pervasive trolling efforts that plague this site continuously. What conclusion do we derive from this? What action should be taken? Oh, wait, I know...

so please do not fall for the bait.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Only the cowards set up ignore lists.

Congratulations.

You've just been added to mine.
  • Reply 43 of 65
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    And back to topic...

Amazon has a great opportunity here to compete with the iBookstore, and hopefully they can. The prices will likely be very similar, which will bring the competiton to the App itself. If they can do better than iBooks, then they may do well. But iBooks looks really good, so they have a lot of work to do.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And back to topic...

Amazon has a great opportunity here to compete with the iBookstore, and hopefully they can. The prices will likely be very similar, which will bring the competiton to the App itself. If they can do better than iBooks, then they may do well. But iBooks looks really good, so they have a lot of work to do.

You have it backwards. The iBookstore has to attempt to compete with Amazon. Right now Amazon is the leader in ebook sales and Apple hasn't even entered the market yet. Its Apple that has to try and attempt and compete not Amazon.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I thought as much too. It will be interesting to see how long the Kindle hardware hangs on. While I have no problem with it, esp. there are some who seem to really value e-ink, I have no use for it. For the same or similar price the iPad provides far more value for me. I fear they are going to have a pretty hard time justifying producing it in the long run.

Amazon will probably revamp it and continue developing it. At the end of the day, though, it's destined for also-ran status.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You have it backwards. The iBookstore has to attempt to compete with Amazon. Right now Amazon is the leader in ebook sales and Apple hasn't even entered the market yet. Its Apple that has to try and attempt and compete not Amazon.

That's about to change. The game's already over and Apple's won.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Seems like a sound move to me. Bezo is wise to spread his options for e-readership around as many platforms as possible.

After all, the Amazon logo represents "everything from A to Z".

But I also feel that the income stream will dramatically increase, due to those with iPad's, in a very short timeframe. By "short", I mean by the end of this year.
  • Reply 47 of 65
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Amazon will probably revamp it and continue developing it. At the end of the day, though, it's destined for also-ran status.

however, many people (including iphone/touch users) have adopted the Kindle App already (like me) and may stick with it. Amazon did a very good thing by developing apps for multiple platforms and has had at least 3 years for people to adopt and follow this format. Granted iTunes has done the same thing (successuflly with music and hit-or-miss with video).

Now, declaring Apple as the winner of a battle that has yet to really even launch yet is a bit premature IMO, but i don't deny that your opinion could very-well occur. Let's let time be the truth to this arguement. It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    techfantechfan Posts: 14member
    The game's already over and Apple has won it before they even release the damn iBookstore? That reminds me of Pres Bush on the deck of the USS Lincoln declaring an end to combat operations in Iraq a few weeks after the invasion occurred. Of course we all know how that turned out. I think we will all see that Amazon has a little John Paul Jones in them and has not yet begun to fight. In the end, a battle for consumers only benefits the buyer (in most cases) through lower prices and better sales so this will be fun to see.

However, I will say that Quadra's statement is scary because is it is not beyond the realm of the possible...never underestimate the purchasing power of rabid lemmings.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:

Unlikely seeing hundreds of millions of consumers can simply download either the App or software for free.

This prediction is about as good as your "Slate" computer is going to take over the world and notebooks are going to be replaced.

When Apple can build an iPad that has about a 13.3 inch screen and has the power at min of a Macbook Air then it might have chance of eating into the notebook market.

Actually that sounds kind of nice to me a 13.3 inch iPad with the power of a Macbook Air.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    dfoltzdfoltz Posts: 8member
    Does anyone really think Apple will prop up Amazon or B&N by allowing them on the iPad. Surely they will ban this. They don't allow for iTunes alternatives so I can't imagine they will allow for iBookstore alternatives. Am I wrong?
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techfan View Post

The game's already over and Apple has won it before they even release the damn iBookstore? That reminds me of Pres Bush on the deck of the USS Lincoln declaring an end to combat operations in Iraq a few weeks after the invasion occurred. Of course we all know how that turned out. I think we will all see that Amazon has a little John Paul Jones in them and has not yet begun to fight. In the end, a battle for consumers only benefits the buyer (in most cases) through lower prices and better sales so this will be fun to see.

However, I will say that Quadra's statement is scary because is it is not beyond the realm of the possible...never underestimate the purchasing power of rabid lemmings.

Well Quadra is a real power users. So far the only thing I have ever heard him talk about having is an iPhone and even when he uses a notebook all he talks about is either killing Flash so he much watch alot of YouTube and he does use the ultra powerful iWorks.com.

Also he is going through about decade long trauma of using Windows XP. He still attempts to bet up on Windows even thought he hasn't touched a Windows system in two generations of the OS.

He also wants every tech company on earth to fail just because they aren't Apple. You know because lack of competition is really good for the end user.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    Quote:

Unlikely seeing hundreds of millions of consumers can simply download either the App or software for free.

This prediction is about as good as your "Slate" computer is going to take over the world and notebooks are going to be replaced.

They will in time. This is only the tip of the iceberg.
  • Reply 53 of 65
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

Yes...you are a god.

Don't feed the trolls. You would be wise to block (using the Ignore function) Extremeskater and TECHSTUD. You can thank me later.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfoltz View Post

Does anyone really think Apple will prop up Amazon or B&N by allowing them on the iPad. Surely they will ban this. They don't allow for iTunes alternatives so I can't imagine they will allow for iBookstore alternatives. Am I wrong?

Yes clearly that will be the case seeing they already allow the Kindle app for the iPhone and Touch. Good call there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000301301
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Don't feed the trolls. You would be wise to block (using the Ignore function) Extremeskater and TECHSTUD. You can thank me later.

Yeah like you are some big benefit to the user community here.
  • Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:

They will in time. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Anything can happen in time, decades even. The point is you thought it was going to happen right now.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:

Anything can happen in time, decades even. The point is you thought it was going to happen right now.

Um . . . no. I don't think anyone here did.
  • Reply 58 of 65
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is no big news. It will be nice for people to have a choice of different reader SW. Only the most open ones will survive and of those, usability, economy, and selection will determine who leads.

PS I've never (not) seen so much blocked content on a single thread before (and I only have two people blocked!) Its nice the ignore feature works so well at de-cluttering things.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

One wonders why Apple didn't just bundle the iBooks app.

"Your bookshelf is empty, visit the iBookstore to purchase books. Even free ones."

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. If iBooks is such an important app, why make people go searching for it? If iBooks were somehow an integral part of the iPhone OS instead of just being an app, I could understand why it's not bundled. Apple may want to reserve the option of just updating iBooks without updating the entire OS; but I don't think that iBooks is an integral part of the iPhone OS. Maybe it's a preemptive attempt to avoid being criticized for being inconsistent if they allow other ebook apps that duplicate iPhone functionality (iBooks), when they have refused to allow this for other types of apps. I'm not convinced of that though, because there are a bunch of web browser apps that duplicate what Safari does. Interesting mystery.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

Good question. I've been wondering the same thing. If iBooks is such an important app, why make people go searching for it? If iBooks were somehow an integral part of the iPhone OS instead of just being an app, I could understand why it's not bundled. Apple may want to reserved the option of just updating iBooks without updating the entire OS; but I don't think that iBooks is an integral part of the iPhone OS. Maybe it's a preemptive attempt to avoid being criticized for being inconsistent if they allow other ebook apps that duplicate iPhone functionality (iBooks), when they have refused to allow this for other types of apps. I'm not convinced of that though, because there are a bunch of web browser apps that duplicate what Safari does. Interesting mystery.

I believe you already hit on the answer. If Apple has iBooks as just another app, they can improve it any time they want to. Since this is a new business model, they may want to respond as quickly as possible to their competition. If Amazon or B&N have a feature that everyone loves, SJ will put his engineers on it right away to duplicate it. Apple will not have to wait until an iOS update to make the change. Its a good business decision on their part. They can always feature the iBook store on the main page of the App store for everyone to see. No one has to go and look for it.