macbook pro 17" wont start (not boot)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a MacBook Pro 17" Late 2008 edition with 4gb mem. So it was kinda overheating this morning, I went and shut it down to let it cool off before turning it back on. When I tried to start it, it turned on for like one second (no white screen or anything but you can here the machine running) and then (i think it's from the harddrive) it made a clicked off sound and it shuts down. tried for a few more times same thing only starts for a second, so i thought the harddrvie is toasted, i took my macbook pro apart and took the harddrive out and docked it as an external on my friends laptop, it worked perfectly nothing was lost or anything all my files are still in there. So i installed the harddrive back in and it still doesnt start up with that clicked off sound. It happened in the worst time possible, I need my laptop to work on a project. what is the problem? cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by memberseven View Post

I have a MacBook Pro 17" Late 2008 edition with 4gb mem. So it was kinda overheating this morning, I went and shut it down to let it cool off before turning it back on. When I tried to start it, it turned on for like one second (no white screen or anything but you can here the machine running) and then (i think it's from the harddrive) it made a clicked off sound and it shuts down. tried for a few more times same thing only starts for a second, so i thought the harddrvie is toasted, i took my macbook pro apart and took the harddrive out and docked it as an external on my friends laptop, it worked perfectly nothing was lost or anything all my files are still in there. So i installed the harddrive back in and it still doesnt start up with that clicked off sound. It happened in the worst time possible, I need my laptop to work on a project. what is the problem? cheers

I know, you've probably fixed yours, but in case that somebody else is searching for a fix, i'll suggest something to try..

Pull the battery out and hold the power button for ten seconds. That drains all the power, and should reset the board. Hopefully it should boot now.

If not, take it to a repair shop, where they'd probably have to pull the CMOS battery as well. They may also check for any faulty components.

Dan