MacBook Pro - dual external monitors? Portrait mode?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm considering purchasing a 15" MacBook Pro when the upgraded models are released.

I do a lot of coding so I'd like to have at least one external monitor, maybe two. Can an external monitor be configured to portrait mode? That would let me see as much code as possible. Do the MBPs support dual external monitors? What resolution max? I realize that the new models haven't been released yet so it's hard to know for sure.

I might just get a 27" iMac for now, then get a 13" MBP later. I'm switching from a 15" Dell.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    momusmomus Posts: 54member
    My early 2008 MacBook Pro features a dual-link DVI out with external resolutions up to 2560 x 1600. Since finding out that they actually downgraded the GPU in subsequent models I wouldn't be surprised if later models lost some of this functionality.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hsvfdvcadjhdf View Post

I do a lot of coding so I'd like to have at least one external monitor, maybe two. Can an external monitor be configured to portrait mode?

Yes, you have to do it manually but it's pretty easy (just system prefs > display > rotate 90). The Dell and HP displays rotate very easily. Apple's displays do not rotate.

You can get two displays but one would have to be over USB using an adaptor.

Quote:

I might just get a 27" iMac for now, then get a 13" MBP later. I'm switching from a 15" Dell.

I find text on the iMacs to be quite small as the resolutions are very high but you'd fit a lot of code on at once and it's not much worse than the laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:

I have a new 27" iMac. As Marvin says, the text is quite small; however, even with the need for glasses, I can read it from about 24" even without my reading glasses. But, to make it easier to read, I change the resolution to 1920 X 1080. That doesn't change what I'm typing now. It is still very small, but I can still read it - at 24" with or without glasses. It is sharp and clear and stands out - I suppose because of the brightness of the screen. This is the best monitor I've ever used.

BTW, despite all the gnashing of teeth about glare, I have no glare unless I use a lamp directly behind me; therefore, I keep a lamp off to the side. I also use a gray desktop color that most likely helps to keep any glare down.

I have glass sliding doors facing south, ceiling to floor, wall to wall directly behind the monitor. There is a translucent blue shade that dulls the southern Florida sunlight, on a large portion of the doors.

I have no glare at all on the monitor.