With 1 iPod library on two computers, How does iTunes/ iPod update files/ playlists ?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have never before operated the same iPod through two computers (each computer using the same library) before . . .

I would very much like to know what happens to new media and playlists on the iTunes (& iPod itself), after I attach my iPod to computer 2 . . . on occasions when the previous iPod update was done on computer 1 ?

I would also like to know if the inclusion of the new "libraries" feature in windows 7 means it is important (or indeed essential) to re-consider the traditional end navigation location of either my itunes library files or media files to an alternate default location (other than what i'm used to, in a computer NOT operating windows 7) under a computer operating windows 7 ?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Can anyone answer this question ? I am waiting patiently for a response from someone who knows what to do ?

I tried hooking my iPod up to my original computer & added one song to the library & synced to my iPod . .

Then I attached my iPod to the second computer (which has all of the iTunes admin & media files copied to the appropriate directories in the second computer) to see if the new song would be sync'd into the iPod & the copy of the first computers library folder being used on the second computer, no messages came up on screen . . Other than to let me know syncing was taking place.

When the sync (to this second computer) was complete & I did a search in the music tab of the iTunes music tab of the second computer, the song I had recently added to the iPod on the first computer was not there & when I checked my iPod (after the sync on the second computer) neither could it be found there.

Can't someone please tell me how to resolve this issue so that the iPod/ iTunes library in the second computer will "pull through", & integrage content into itself that was added in the first. Afterall, the library on the second computer is a straight "clone" of that on the first . .

Lastly, I am confused by mention of manual & automatic modes . . maybe this is adding to my problem ? I don't know can someone please talk me through what I need to do to achieve the above ?

I found the following statement on help, but it does not seem to apply to my circumstance as the iTunes message (as detailed below) did not appear on screen at any point when I attached my iPod to either the first or second computer:

Modes

By default iPod is set to "Automatically sync songs to my iPod" sometimes called automatic mode. In order to transfer music from multiple computers iPod must be set to "Manually manage music" sometimes referred to as manual mode.

Automatic Mode

When iPod is set to automatic mode iTunes automatically updates iPod's music library whenever you connect iPod to your computer. iTunes transfers new songs you've added, and erases songs you've removed. However, the first computer you connect iPod to is its "home" computer, and the music library from that computer is copied to iPod. When you connect iPod to another computer, an alert box appears with this message:

"The iPod "iPod" is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?"

"An iPod can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPod with the contents of this iTunes library."

If you want to delete the music library on iPod and make the second computer iPod's "home" computer, click Erase and Sync. iTunes will delete all songs and playlists on the iPod, and then will copy the music library and playlists from the new home computer to iPod.

Manual Mode

If you want to keep the music library on iPod, but copy songs or playlists from the music library on the second computer, click Cancel to this dialog box, and then set iPod to manual mode.

You change the iPod synchronization mode to manual mode in iTunes:

1.Open iTunes, if necessary.

2.Select iPod in the Source pane.

3.Click the Summary tab.

4.Click "Manually manage music and videos" to enable that option.

5.Click OK in the resulting dialog box.

6.Click Apply.

It is normal for iPod to take a few seconds to change from automatic mode to manual mode.

When in manual mode, to add songs or playlists drag them from iTunes to the iPod icon in the sidebar. To remove songs or playlists select them on the iPod in iTunes and hit the delete key. You can also create playlists directly on the iPod.

Important: Synchronization generally occurs only in one direction, from your computer to your iPod. However, if you are legally allowed to transfer song files, you can use your iPod as a hard disk. An exception is the transfer purchases feature, which allows you to restore purchased iTunes content to an authorized computer from your iPod.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202

• Reply 2 of 5
    Anybody . . please ?

I find it very hard to believe that no-one else out there has bought a second computer & not experienced this issue too.

After all the people who have viewed this post, surely someone is capable of shedding some light on my predicament or kind enough to share the answer ?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I use manually manage to sync my iPhone with more than one iTunes library with the same library ID. I'm wary of auto sync so I have it disabled. So while I'm in a similar situation I managed to avoid it by using manual manage.

I don't think you can transfer from iPod to iTunes without using 3rd party apps. So if you have two different iTunes libraries -with same ID- iTunes will remove what's on the iPod but not in its library, regardless.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    This problem been very frustrating & made me feel totally thick at my ihability to solve it, it's such a relief for someone to confirm that it is down to the way the iPod/ iTunes relationship is configured.

Your reply is greatly appreciated !
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I know this is an old thread... but maybe he's still monitoring it...

Copying your iTunes folder from one computer to the second computer does NOT make it the same library... they are two separate libraries that just happened to be identical at that point in time.

When you synced your iPod on computer#1, it noted the new changes in that computers iTunes file... those changes were NOT noted in computer#2's iTunes file, so when you synced with #2, it didn't know you wanted that new song on your iPod.

To make that setup wrk, you need both computers to access THE SAME iTunes file, not just a duplicate of it. In other words you have to have the iTunes file on an "always available" shared disk or network disc. Then both computers can access the EXACT SAME iTunes FILE... the caveat being, only one computer can access it at a given time.

(I use Macs... It's entirely possible that Windows based iTunes may behave differently, though I doubt it in this case.)