Apple says new iPad orders won't ship till April 12th

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With the iPad standing as arguably the most anticipated gadget of 2010, Apple appears to have sold through its initial supply of device and is no longer promising April 3rd delivery for new orders placed from this point on. Separately, the company has finally given the iPad Camera Connection Kit a ship date.

As of Saturday, the Apple online store indicates that new orders for all three models of the WiFi-only iPad models will ship "by April 12th," putting their arrival in customers' hands roughly two weeks after the April 3rd delivery date promised to early adopters who pre-order the device up until this weekend.

Meanwhile, Apple continues to imply that the first 3G-enabled iPads will ship by "Late April."

Over a week ago, people familiar with the iPad's running sales totals told the Wall Street Journal that the company had pre-sold "hundreds of thousands of the device." They added that Apple was on pace to potentially sell more iPads in its first three months than the 1.2 million iPhones it sold in the three months after the touch-screen handset made its debut back in 2007.

The buzz surrounding iPad pre-sales has prompted several prominent Wall Street analysts to raise their price targets on the company, sending its shares to new all-time highs.

For example, Credit Suisse analyst Bill Shope on Friday raised his 12-month price target to $300 from $275 while also upping his per-share earnings estimates for the company's current quarter to $2.57 per share from $2.27. He also increased his revenue outlook for the quarter to $12.26 billion from $11.45 billion.

"We believe Apple is now running well ahead of expectations in all of its key business segments," he wrote in a report to clients. "To put this in perspective, the March quarter typically represents Apple's seasonal nadir, and our estimates would imply the March quarter of 2010 would be the second strongest quarter in company history."

Shope now sees Apple selling 1.08 million iPads next quarter, up from his previous estimate of 650,000.

Separately, Apple on Saturday also provided a "Late April" ship date for the iPad Camera Connection Kit and began taking pre-orders for the device. It was previously unavailable for purchase for reasons the company did not disclose.

The iPad Camera Connection Kit enables two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera: using a camera’s USB cable or directly from an SD card. It supports standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    Apple is doomed!?

• Reply 2 of 126
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!™

Once again, Apple has no product to sell when people want it.

Why is Apple giving Tim Cook megamillion bonuses? He should be fired for this debacle.

And nobody wants to buy iPads. Phil Schiller needs to go as well.

Doomed.

• Reply 3 of 126
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple is doomed!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Why is Apple giving Tim Cook megamillion bonuses? He should be fired for this debacle.

Doomed.

Apple is obviously shorting production so they can make the iPad look more desirable than it really is. Dooooomed!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

They added that Apple was on pace to potentially sell more iPads in its first three months than the 1.2 million iPhones it sold in the three months after the touch-screen handset made its debut back in 2007.

If they don't sell 1 million in the first week then they are doomed.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    We all know that the iPad will not sell---don't we?

Yeh, I agree with the first post---Apple is doomed
  • Reply 5 of 126
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Apple is doomed!?

LOL, don't trademark it, it'll just give it legitimacy
  • Reply 6 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple is obviously shorting production so they can make the iPad look more desirable than it really is. ..............

Actually the fault is not entirely Apple's. If you have been following the news, the problem seem to be with the supplier of iPad's display. Apple has done its due diligence and inked a deal with Samsung and with Wintek to provide more displays.

I misread your post. You were mocking the naysayers. No mention from trolls about aspect ratios or eyestrain?

The only question I have will there be a difference between the different manufacturers?

Wintek @

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_wintek.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...to_wintek.html

Samsung@

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html
  • Reply 7 of 126
    Definitely artificial scarcity, nothing more.

Doomed!
  • Reply 8 of 126
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.
  • Reply 9 of 126
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    There is still no release date for the WiFi+3G or Japan \
  • Reply 10 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Actually the fault is not entirely Apple's. If you have been following the news, the problem seem to be with the supplier of iPad's display. Apple has done its due diligence and inked a deal with Samsung and with Wintek to provide more displays.

I was being facetious, but it's good you bring up that point as it's likely the reason for this particular delay. Hundreds of thousands of any complex product out of the gate is pretty huge and a problem that will continually plague Apple as their growth continues.

I'm not sure Apple can keep up their limited boutique-like product line, especially for Macs, for too much longer as diseconomy of scale grows. I keep expecting a 15" plastic unibody MacBook using last generation processors from Intel to shore up their offerings while increasing growth and revenue, but I seem to be alone in that thought.

Quote:

Hopefully there is no quantifiable difference but as Macs have long since shown multiple suppliers of LCDs can look difference when placed side-by-side.
  • Reply 11 of 126
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Uh oh. Looks like we may have to segue very rapidly from "Fan boys will buy anything their Lord and Master orders them to" to "Apple's mind control and slick marketing could sell snow to Eskimos."

I look forward to a surprisingly early onset of "this abrupt flood of other products that follow Apple's template have better specs and make the iPad look stupid and dated, and anyway they were going to make those all along so Apple didn't change anything fanboys shut up."

Oh, and, Apple is Doomed.?
  • Reply 12 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

OMG, that camera connection kit is the dumbest thing I've seen Apple do yet. Seriously, I need another adapter in my desk drawer like I need a hole in my head. Come on Steve, didn't you think an SD card slot would be appropriate? I'll let you in on a secret Steve: I'd pay $29 more for an iPad that *didn't* make me but another damn adapter. It absolutely *ruins* the elegance of the product.

What about a USB-A port? You think it would be more elegant to line the device with every port that people are expected to use? I don't see that. I don't think many will will be using the iPad to offload photos and the iPad's 30-pin-connector has been on every iDevice, sans the Shuffle, which I find to be a good thing. I can carry ONE carry to charge and sync A Nano, iPhone and iPad. I'd think those with cameras that want to offload their pics into an iPad can simply carry the adapter in their camera bag. That seems less of a big deal that adding a port to satisfy every user's needs.
  • Reply 13 of 126
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I wonder what the magic number for launch supply was?

Any word on whether you can still reserve one for pick up in store? Or have these ended?

I wonder how many people will be there when the store opens at 9 on the 3rd? This is very different than the iPhone launch, in many ways. Reservation-only, instead of FCFS-only. No activation or unboxing at all, vs. 15 min+ activation times. Could be way more people. Could be way fewer.
  • Reply 14 of 126
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Doomed.

Never mind, I missed the emoticon.
  • Reply 15 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Uh oh. Looks like we may have to segue very rapidly from "Fan boys will buy anything their Lord and Master orders them to" to "Apple's mind control and slick marketing could sell snow to Eskimos."

I look forward to a surprisingly early onset of "this abrupt flood of other products that follow Apple's template have better specs and make the iPad look stupid and dated, and anyway they were going to make those all along so Apple didn't change anything fanboys shut up."

Oh, and, Apple is Doomed.?

What are Stages of Anti-Apple Justifications, again? I think i might make a chart in my down time today.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    What prevents third parties from selling a USB to 30-pin cable or adaptor that connects a variety of digital cameras to the iPad?
  • Reply 17 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

I disagree. It would be SD or USB slots that would ruin the elegant design of the device. The versatile 30 pin port makes it simpler. If u really need to connect a camera to get raw photos on the device immediately, you have to use something to connect them, and a cable is no more convenient than a cable+adapter, for the one - two minutes you need it connected.

For 1 - 2 minutes of use, I'd rather have the adapter, than holes all over the iPad.
  • Reply 18 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

...... No mention from trolls about aspect ratios or eyestrain?[/I]

One less troll BANNED hint TS

http://forums.appleinsider.com/membe...&ltr=T&page=12
  • Reply 18 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What prevents third parties from selling a USB to 30-pin cable or adaptor that connects a variety of digital cameras to the iPad?

Nothing. Could be done by anyone, any time, and likely will.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is all this angst because of notebook refreshes that haven't arrived yet (and you're venting), or because you're colossally out of touch with the market?

I'm pretty sure he is just mocking the trolls before their shifts start.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Apple licenses the male end of the 30-pin connector, but I font know if they license it as a cable or if it's just as a dock [or other directly connected device]. I'll check Monoprice...

edit: I just remembered all car chargers with iPod-Dock-Connectors. I can't find any specific cables that are 30-pin-to-Micro/Mini-USB, but I see no reason why they can't be made.

This is the cheaper solution at $1.84....