How did you talk yourself into doing it?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
We humans are not rational beings, but rationalizing beings. What rationalization did you use to talk yourself into plunking down the cash for an iPad? Also, how do you rationalize the purchase to friends and family?

For me, it's all about iBooks. I have low enough vision to be considered legally blind. I love to read, though. I was considering the Kindle DX, but was never quite convinced enough to pull the trigger. With the iPad's font flexibility, every book is a large print book. With the Voiceover screen reader, every book is an audio book. I don't have to worry about the publishers who disable the feature on the Kindle. On the iPad, it will all just work. The nonsense about eyestrain never made any sense to me as I have eyestrain squinting at printed text. I relieve eyestrain by reading on a large LCD monitor with enlarged fonts. If the iPad were only an ebook reader, it would be enough for me.

I have heard many pundits and journalists who publicly disparage the iPad, nevertheless give reasons why they pre-ordered one. The most common is that they are journalists and it is their job. That may be what they tell the Mrs. but I don't believe it for the moment. The fact is, they are just as giddy about this thing as any fanboy; they are just too ashamed to admit it.

Even without the iBooks app, I would have still pre-ordered one because it will just be plain fun. I don't need a reason, nor do I need to justify my tech lust to myself. Still, I have been preparing my answer for when people inevitably ask me about the purchase.

When your spouse, friend, co-worker, social worker, fellow church member asks you why you bought an iPad in these economically uncertain times, you will look them in the eye and tell them, "...?