Apple's legendary secrecy veil intact prior to iPad launch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As consumers eagerly await their first opportunity to use an iPad when it goes on sale this Saturday, employees of Apple's retail stores are in the same position, thanks to the hardware maker's strict security policies.

A new report from Reuters Tuesday stated that employee's of Apple's retail stores are "just as curious" about the iPad as the customers who will line up for Saturday's launch.

Employees anonymously told the publication that though they are encouraged to talk to customers about the iPad, they have not seen the device, and never see any Apple products before they are launched. The report noted that even the in-store "Geniuses" do not yet know how to repair the iPad.

It's all part of Apple's strategy of secrecy, one that has reportedly kept a pre-release iPad under padlock and key at the headquarters of The Wall Street Journal, even though the device was formally introduced in January.

The approach is nothing new. According to Reuters, when the iPhone first went on sale in 2007, Apple shipped out decoy pallets to discourage snooping employees. An employee was tasked with watching the palettes to make sure no one touched them, and only the store managers were allowed to see the iPhone before it went on sale. "It was all a bit insane," one employee reportedly said.

Though they don't get an advance peek at Apple products, store employees receive $10 per hour for entry-level work, and those work work at the "Genius Bar" receive over $30 an hour. Employees are also given a 25 percent discount on iPods and Macs, but none for the iPhone. Employees said they do not know whether they will receive a discount for the iPad.

Developers, too, have expressed frustration with Apple's secrecy as they create App Store software for the forthcoming iPad. Developers have had to write for the device without having actually touched one. They'll have to wait like most everyone else for the official launch this Saturday.

Apple's tight-lipped nature was profiled last year by the New York Times, which said the company's veil of secrecy began to take shape around the release of the original Macintosh back in 1984.

One employee said that employees working on secret projects at Apple must "pass through a maze of security doors, swiping their badges again and again and finally entering a numeric code to reach their offices." Once inside the top-secret areas, employees are often monitored by surveillance cameras as they work. Those working with the most sensitive projects are allegedly instructed to "cover up devices with black cloaks when they are working on them, and turn on a red warning light when devices are unmasked so that everyone knows to be extra-careful."

But Apple also sometimes leaks information to its advantage, as one former marketing manager explained earlier this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Yes, we all know about Apple's "veil of secrecy."

Frankly, I can't blame them. It has helped Apple either lead in market-share (iPods) or set the standard (iPhone, Macs) in the segments in which they compete.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The geniuses don't need to know how to repair them, they haven't even started selling them yet.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though they don't get an advance peek at Apple products, store employees receive $10 per hour for entry-level work, and those work work at the "Genius Bar" receive over $30 an hour

Really? Apple employees get paid?

I thought they did it for their love of the company...
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, we all know about Apple's "veil of secrecy."

Frankly, I can't blame them. It has helped Apple either lead in market-share (iPods) or set the standard (iPhone, Macs) in the segments in which they compete.

Although I don't believe that the "Veil of Secrecy" is really because of "Innovative" hardware and software, I do know it has had a profound impact on the market. Probably the best marketing strategy I have seen yet. I fully dislike the Secrecy strategy that Apple employs, but that air of mystery does wonders for its sales. See how the iPad is already out of stock... before anyone of us has touched the device? I believe its even back ordered. Amazing marketing Apple!

Apple profits on the anticipation, not so much its innovation. (But that's my opinion, and I'm sure you'll disagree. )
  • Reply 5 of 31
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Only a small amount of those $30 a hour "Geniuses" are working at a Apple Store at any one time and only during peak hours it seems.

Most of the rest don't know diddly squat and have to run to ask the alpha Genius the answer to a technical question.

Also those in the know, knew something like the iPad was coming soon, heck it was easy, just go to CES. The iPad is a rip-off of the HP Slate. (or the Slate is a rip off of the leaked iPad project)

The similarities are to much to have occurred by mere chance.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=107648
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Also those in the know, knew something like the iPad was coming soon, heck it was easy, just go to CES. The iPad is a rip-off of the HP Slate.

LOL, why would Apple rip off THAT thing?? It's not even on sale. I don't know how Apple would rip it off when the iPad UI is completely different, employing Apple's implementation of multitouch.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    LoL!!!

I love this company...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The geniuses don't need to know how to repair them, they haven't even started selling them yet.

Have you ever taken a new model of car in for service, and basically gotten the "Duuh we haven't been trained on this yet"?

Be it computers or cars or whatever, the support system needs to be fully ready when the product "goes live". If we wanted dumb looks we wouldn't buy Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Although I don't believe that the "Veil of Secrecy" is really because of "Innovative" hardware and software, I do know it has had a profound impact on the market. Probably the best marketing strategy I have seen yet. I fully dislike the Secrecy strategy that Apple employs, but that air of mystery does wonders for its sales. See how the iPad is already out of stock... before anyone of us has touched the device? I believe its even back ordered. Amazing marketing Apple!

Apple profits on the anticipation, not so much its innovation. (But that's my opinion, and I'm sure you'll disagree. )

We all hate it the same way we mysteries and want answers yet read books, and watch TV shows just to know who dun it. It's absolutely brilliant that they can generate so much free press with a carefully planned leak or without saying anything at all.

I disagree with your point that their profits come from anticipation, not innovation. Anticipation can garnish interest but if your product doesn't fit the consumer's needs they will not buy, or not again, yet Apple has plenty of repeat customers, especially with the iPhone and iPod halo effects turning into Mac sales, too.

There are some different dynamics at play now. With Apple partnering with so many different companies and their place in the market being so strong vapourware advertising isn't something to scoff at. It's what the big boys, do. Eventually you have to deliver, but it can help with profits by making customers wait for that carrot and potential competitors fear the stick (be a waste of their time and money).

Personally, as nerve racking as it can be, I wish more companies acted like Apple. If you find any, let me know so I can invest in them.

PS: This "Veil of Secrecy" seems to date back to the founding of Apple, as I recall. JObs and Woz wrote up a mission statement or something that stated, essentially, "no product will be talked about until it's ready to be released."

Quote:

The iPad is a rip-off of the HP Slate. (or the Slate is a rip off of the leaked iPad project)

Or each one was designed and built independently. How much different can you make a thin tablet HW look from one another? Do you think Apple could have seen the HP Slate on January 7th and from there designed and fabricated the iPad to be exactly the way they were going to ship it 2 weeks later? The only thing that looks to come close to a physical change is the function of the iPad's toggle switch, but I'm sure that all done in SW anyway.

What is for sure is how all these tablets at CES came out specifically because of the Apple Tablet speculation, and how they all seem to have either a) not commit to any price or specs at the time, or b) have gone back to the drawing board specifically to compete better with the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    I guess no one has figured it out. The Ipad and Slate will be the new netbook, except they will expand and eventually consume the laptop market as well. I have been looking forward to the Ipad and Slate computers ever since I saw something similar on the old Star Trek in the 1970's. At $500.00 I know my son who is in 4th grade, will be using an advanced Ipad in high school. I can only wonder what he will use in college. I wrote my masters coursework on a Tandy 1000FD and thought I was hot stuff. And that was without the web. The good thing is that both the Ipad and the slate will change computing as we know it. I am willing to bet that the Ipad will be on the cover of Time before the year is out. Any takers?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    mrkoolaidmrkoolaid Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilogic View Post

LoL!!!

I love this company...

This is like unveiling of an elephant man- only better!! The world awaits!!
  • Reply 12 of 31
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

You are certainly right about the effectiveness of the strategy - don't forget that these and other forums have had their tongues hanging out in anticipation for over a year before the existence of such a product was even announced! I made a comment months and months ago here about the Apple Zen of marketing - to make the most noise remain silent! Of course this approach is the antithesis of Microsoft's - Origami this, Courier that... I guess they figure that's the best way for them, but I reckon Apple must have a little chuckle every time another bit of vapour pfffts out of Redmond!
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Have you ever taken a new model of car in for service, and basically gotten the "Duuh we haven't been trained on this yet"?

Be it computers or cars or whatever, the support system needs to be fully ready when the product "goes live". If we wanted dumb looks we wouldn't buy Apple.

The support system will be ready. As an iPhone owner, and based on what I know about the iPad, I have a feeling that I could provide support at the Genius bar with a couple of hours training. This is not the same thing as moving (jumping actually) from Tiger to Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    In the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey, there is a scene aboard the Discovery where astronauts Bowman and Poole are eating a meal while watching a BBC video on flat screen pads that could easily be considered to be similar to the iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Only a small amount of those $30 a hour "Geniuses" are working at a Apple Store at any one time and only during peak hours it seems.

Most of the rest don't know diddly squat and have to run to ask the alpha Genius the answer to a technical question.

Also those in the know, knew something like the iPad was coming soon, heck it was easy, just go to CES. The iPad is a rip-off of the HP Slate. (or the Slate is a rip off of the leaked iPad project)

The similarities are to much to have occurred by mere chance.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=107648

Except, to the best of my knowledge, the Slate does not exist as a consumer product, whereas the iPad will be in consumers hands in 4 days.

I fail to see how a product, which reaches markets months (years or ever) before a different product can be seen as a 'rip off'?

Just went to the HP main site - no slate for sale or pre-order...
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

In the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey, there is a scene aboard the Discovery where astronauts Bowman and Poole are eating a meal while watching a BBC video on flat screen pads that could easily be considered to be similar to the iPad.

It's hard to be too different on a tablet device. The iPad is certainly closer as it copy the tablets that came the decade before that tried to be a desktop PC and a tablet at once, which resulted in a decade of market failure.

This one has a row of physical buttons on them and look more like the Times mockup with that size display. Eventually I can see a larger display size hit the market once power issues and proper publishing tools are created, among other things.

PS: Are they weightless there? I'd have to say no since Kubrik is known for his attention to detail and free food wouldn't be a viable option.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

Except, to the best of my knowledge, the Slate does not exist as a consumer product, whereas the iPad will be in consumers hands in 4 days.

I fail to see how a product, which reaches markets months (years or ever) before a different product can be seen as a 'rip off'?

Just went to the HP main site - no slate for sale or pre-order...

That is why what HP is doing is called vapourware and what SpotOn is doing is calling spreading FUD, possibly trolling.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Seen the flood of iPad knockoffs from Asia right after the iPad was shown to the world?

Why give your competitors any advantage, even if that means pissing off only the people that read AI and a few developers? Sounds like a good deal to me.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Don't be that dumb. They can always overnight the iPad to Apple and get it back in 48 hours. I don't see that happen with a new car..lol
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's hard to be too different on a tablet device. The iPad is certainly closer as it copy the tablets that came the decade before that tried to be a desktop PC and a tablet at once, which resulted in a decade of market failure.

This one has a row of physical buttons on them and look more like the Times mockup with that size display. Eventually I can see a larger display size hit the market once power issues and proper publishing tools are created, among other things.

PS: Are they weightless there? I'd have to say no since Kubrik is known for his attention to detail and free food wouldn't be a viable option.

I love that scene. Watch it on Blu ray/1080p. It's lovely.