Clean Install of snow leopard using remote disc?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My dvd drive is busted, so I'm attempting to use remote disc to install snow leopard on my macbook pro (running 10.5.5).

There doesn't seem to be a clean install option without running the snow leopard disc from boot. Is there any way that I can run the install disc from boot via remote disc so I can run a clean install?

I tried restarting my computer and holding down the alt/option key, which showed the only available boot drive as my macbook pro's internal hard drive.

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdawgg View Post

My dvd drive is busted, so I'm attempting to use remote disc to install snow leopard on my macbook pro (running 10.5.5).

There doesn't seem to be a clean install option without running the snow leopard disc from boot. Is there any way that I can run the install disc from boot via remote disc so I can run a clean install?

I tried restarting my computer and holding down the alt/option key, which showed the only available boot drive as my macbook pro's internal hard drive.

any help is greatly appreciated

thanks!

What I can suggest is this. Provided you don't have Filevault enabled.

You'll need another Mac and a blank external firewire drive equal to or larger than your internal drive on the broken Mac.

C boot from your Snow Leopard disk and select Disk Utility from the menu and Erase with Zero the new hard drive (only need to do this once per drive, improves data retention) will take some time.

When that's done, install OS X on the external drive.

Hook up the external drive to the dead DVD drive Mac and hold option and boot from it. Update OS X.

Get online and download Carbon Copy Cloner.

Salvage any files from the internal drive, even boot from the internal drive to take setting and apps, passwords and the like, it's all going to be wiped. (unless you got another drive to clone that old OS too, a wise choice in case you forgot something)

Once you got everything, while booted from the external, Disk Utility Erase (with zero if it needs it) and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the external onto the internal.

After cloning, always Repair permissions on both.