ABC, Netflix streaming iPad software available in App Store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With iPad applications now available on Apple's App Store, two high-profile streaming software releases are now available from U.S. broadcast network ABC and movie rental service Netflix.

ABC Player for iPad

The ABC.com Full Episode Player for iPad gives users the ability to watch programs broadcast by the network, including Lost, Grey's Anatony, Modern Family, and Desperate Housewives. The free application provides streaming full episodes of ABC shows supported through advertisers.

Users can find the episodes they're looking for, view a schedule of ABC content, or access their viewing history, allowing them to pause an episode and come back to it later.

"Not sure what time Lost is on next week? The ABC Player allows users to view a daily and rolling 7-day Primetime schedule of ABC programming," the company said in a press release. "This technologically advanced app is customized to each iPad -- it keeps a record of your viewing history and allows you to stop watching a show, then resume right from where you left off."

The ABC application requires a Wi-Fi connection, and is a 1.5MB download. Users can pre-load the software for their iPad now.

Netflix for iPad

Also free, the Netflix app for iPad allows customers who subscribe to the movie rental service to stream all of the content available through the Netflix Instant Watch program direct to their iPad.

Features, according to Netflix, include:

Watch as often as you want

It's part of your Netflix unlimited membership

Resume watching where you left off on your TV or computer

Browse movies and manage your Queue right from your iPad

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Netflix maybe good for iPad adoption but seems to fly in the face of iTunes expansion. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    macwhoremacwhore Posts: 40member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Netflix maybe good for iPad adoption but seems to fly in the face of iTunes expansion. It will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

Deja Vue. I could of sworn I just seen the exact same post just two minutes ago on Macrumors
  • Reply 3 of 39
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Netflix on the iPad?

$8 a month, sream all you can eat? A joke it must be!

APRIL FOOLS!!!!

Good one, AI, good one!!

If true however, a $99 Roku hooked up to a HDTV would be a much better experience.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    So now we are supposed to install an app for each TV network. I wish they would have worked out some sort of deal with iTunes so I can have them all in one place. Maybe work in ads in there somehow, kind of like Tekzilla and other Rev3 shows do. I thought Hulu would become a one stop solution, but I guess comedy central pulled out and now everyone wants their own apps.

It's gonna get confusing cause I would have to know what network each show airs on, something I don't always know, epeically for newer shows I got into on Hulu.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Very nice. Things are really moving forward for the iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    As a Netflix customer I'm pleasantly surprised. Mildly shocked even.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Surprised everybody focuses on streaming. See many more people using iPhone/touch on planes and trains where streaming wouldn't work.

Also sad it isn't managed through iTunes, but I imagine that will get better over time. Can't imagine what kind of user wants to have 20 different applications for content based on the media provider.

Wonder if Apple and Netflix would work together on iTunes integration, or if licensing terms preclude download-and-play.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What needs to play out? Apple makes most their money from selling iPads, iPhones, iPods, etc. They make minimal off the content - the content drives the declvice sales. That's why they always allowed people to load any mp3 on the iPod or the Kindle and B&N app on the iPhone and will I'm sure on the iPad. The more reasons to give someone to buy the device the better. $0.99-4.99 vs $300-800 for an Apple device and still make money off some of your own driven content?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    How about Netflix on the iPhone? I've been waiting for that...
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Waiting to see the people complaining about the lack of having Adobe Flash!? HTML5 - thank you!!!

Still plan to wait for iPad2, but this is looking better and better - enjoying this a lot. Thinking of buying for my mom this summer, she knows and cares nothing about versions. Hopefully v2 is out before end of 2010, but will wait as long as needed.

Netflix, ABC, CBS, and Hulu is expected very soon and that should quiet those who don't want multi-network apps (understandable, but not a big deal to me). Of course many other networks will follow, because no one wants to be left out. Again, who needs Flash? Also, a thank you to Brightcove.

This is great news. Can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out. Waiting to see what the trolls will complain about now, they are meeting now to come up with a complain strategy.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Netflix on the iPad?

$8 a month, sream all you can eat? A joke it must be!

APRIL FOOLS!!!!

Good one, AI, good one!!

If true however, a $99 Roku hooked up to a HDTV would be a much better experience.

No joke, I've already downloaded it.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

How about Netflix on the iPhone? I've been waiting for that...

Apparently it will be arriving soon.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Great news indeed!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

This is great news. Can't wait to get my hands on one and try it out. Waiting to see what the trolls will complain about now, they are meeting now to come up with a complain strategy.

They're running out of talking points real fast. Being confined to Apple's iTunes for media content has been yanked from their playing deck. Time to reshuffle the deck.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Surprised everybody focuses on streaming. See many more people using iPhone/touch on planes and trains where streaming wouldn't work.

That's why it's can't be the only solution and why iTunes Store (and illegal downloads) will have their place.

What would be interesting is to see a site like Hulu offer a paid service with DRM content that is cached within the app allowing you to play offline for a short time. Even a handful of hours would be sweet right now.

Quote:

Also sad it isn't managed through iTunes, but I imagine that will get better over time.

I think that is a good thing now, but I find it interesting that two posters have already suggested that it be added to iTunes app. It seems to me there is already a lot of bellyaching over the bloat in both the iTunes desktop app and the iTunes Store (the latter I agree with) but we want all sites that stream video to instead add to iTunes instead of making an app? I don't get it.

How would this work? Would Apple then have to regulate them like it does for its App Store? Could they still charge you and alter rates as they see fit? How would Apple, their network partners, and customers feel about having free and paid TV shows and movies next to each other?

Quote:

Can't imagine what kind of user wants to have 20 different applications for content based on the media provider.

i don't think any do, but I think most stick with only a few. Hulu was great because it did consolidate sites. That seems to be changing slowly as networks realize they can make more money with their own sites. Maybe someone can make a unified app that all networks and services agree with and will allow you to signup to each one through the one app with them still getting the revenue and saving on maintaining their own apps. I doubt Apple could swing that deal.

Quote:

Wonder if Apple and Netflix would work together on iTunes integration, or if licensing terms preclude download-and-play.

I'd just love them to work on the AppleTV, though this would be best solved, IMO, with a new AppleTV with an A4 based on iPhone OS sans Cocoa Touch and an SDK that allowed Netflix et al. to port their apps to.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd just love them to work on the AppleTV, though this would be best solved, IMO, with a new AppleTV with an A4 based on iPhone OS sans Cocoa Touch and an SDK that allowed Netflix et al. to port their apps to.

That would be awesome...
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Netflix, ABC, CBS, and Hulu is expected very soon...

With ABC, CBS, and Netflix already with apps I have to wonder how long before Hulu makes an official announcement. I have to think it will be soon. Tomorrow? Next Week?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I'm just sitting here, rolling my eyes at the people complaining about the shortcomings of having to go to an ABC streaming app here for free iPad content, NBC.com for free content there...who could possibly keep track of it all? You didn't even know you had these until today, you still don't actually have your iPad yet, and you're already resigned to accepting this "compromise."

"Everything's amazing and nobody's happy."
  • Reply 18 of 39
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by STecchino View Post

I'm just sitting here, rolling my eyes at the people complaining about the shortcomings of having to go to an ABC streaming app here for free iPad content, NBC.com for free content there...who could possibly keep track of it all? You didn't even know you had these until today, you still don't actually have your iPad yet, and you're already resigned to accepting this "compromise."

And the ability to just watch the content via their respective web pages is probably on the way anyway. Actually, what is the difference between having to visit various different webpages and having to open various different apps? Frankly the app-based solution is more elegant.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

And the ability to just watch the content via their respective web pages is probably on the way anyway. Actually, what is the difference between having to visit various different webpages and having to open various different apps? Frankly the app-based solution is more elegant.

Yeah, I think the app based solution is attractive to them for several reasons. It makes a much cleaner and faster interface that is also more secure than any browser-based solution could provide.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    But wait, Netflix!? What's happened to all the hand-wringing about how the iPad is totally useless for movies since it's 4:3.....