Waterproof iPad?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Does anyone know how well (or not) capacitive touch screens behave in a wet environment? Is Apple missing a trick not having a waterproof iPad model for use in the shower/bathroom etc.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think it would be a nice idea but possibly dangerous. You know what content most guys will put on it in there and then try to swivel it mid-session and then it slips out your hand and lands face-down shattering the glass and freezing the image on-screen. You slip and the shards of glass stick into all sorts of painful areas. That's one sticky situation to explain away.

For bath-time reading, it would be better than a traditional book though.

The main issues would be how to make the speakers effective while still maintaining the seal-efficiency and leaving the dock port exposed.

Ideally all computers would be waterproof. I've always thought it's a bit ridiculous that a $2,000 laptop is in no way protected from total destruction by just spilling a $1 coke over it. That IMO would warrant more accolade than the magsafe. Toshiba have come up with something but the tests seem too controlled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bZ3AzuiYOs&NR=1
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I think it would be a nice idea but possibly dangerous. You know what content most guys will put on it in there and then try to swivel it mid-session and then it slips out your hand and lands face-down shattering the glass and freezing the image on-screen. You slip and the shards of glass stick into all sorts of painful areas. That's one sticky situation to explain away.

Genius!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The main issues would be how to make the speakers effective while still maintaining the seal-efficiency and leaving the dock port exposed.

You can get waterproof speakers but I guess it may be a problem in something iPad sized.

In terms of the dock connector, I was thinking it may be necessary to not have one. Apple could implement a "wireless dock" which would do high-speed (i.e. USB 2 comparable) wireless comms and wireless charging when the iPad is placed on top.