iPad: Your Impressions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
iPad day is here!!!

Some here on AI will be among the lucky ones who get theirs today!

Post your impressions here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Post vides to YouTube and post links here. It's videos I want to see. Play games and post videos!!!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    People over on MacRumors are already posting their unpacking photos and stuff... Guess everybody here who has gotten one so far is too busy playing with it to share the excitement with the rest of us, some of whom will be waiting another month...
  • Reply 3 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    It's unbelievably great... I'm so impressed and ive only had it for an hour
  • Reply 4 of 25
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

So which model did you get?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

What you don't like the most?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

What you don't like the most?

I think we lost PMZ too lost in his/hers iPad to care about us
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Lol sorry. Too much fun to go into forums!

-I got the 16 gb, a neoprene sleeve, and the basic dock.

- it's freaking fast. The keyboard is wonderful in both orientations. Very much like a laptop in landscape, auto correct is a life saver, and portratit is perfect for one finger typing. The only aggravating thing is that they moved the backspace key up to the top right, and added a second shift key on the right. Different from iPhone, which has thrown me off a bit.

- every iPad app I've tested works great.

-some iPhone apps are near worthless in pixel double mode. I'm mad that I have to rebuy iteleport at 24.99.

I can't put it down. Fastest safari experience to date.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Bookmark bar can be shown at all times if desired, via toggle in Safari settings.

All of my epub books synced to iBooks and look phenomenal. I have hundreds of ebooks and now have a way to read them!!!

5.5 hrs later I have 80% battery :o

And btw. I'm posting while tethered to my iPhone miwi ftw
  • Reply 9 of 25
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

-some iPhone apps are near worthless in pixel double mode. I'm mad that I have to rebuy iteleport at 24.99.

I can't put it down. Fastest safari experience to date.

what do you mean you have to rebuy iteleport?

nvm, i noticed the iPad version. fark!
  • Reply 10 of 25
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Awesome web browsing, very fast response time, easy to use user interface, lots of great apps, I bought a few books from iBooks which is just fantastic, bought a few comic books from the marvel store, YouTube app is great, watching videos is awesome, keyboard is unbelievably easy to use, did I say the apps are awesome?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Three hours on...

The Good
    • Very fast overall

• Pleasurable to use

• Lovely screen

• Photo app implementation is extremely good

• Netflix streaming

• Thousands of free iBooks

The Bad
    • No earphones included

• Touch typing is definitely out

• Nothing else I've found yet

The I'm Not So Sure Yet
    • How to import or export iWork documents to/from the Mac

• Very tiny speakers (see above: no earphones)

• No resume viewing feature on Netflix streaming?

• How to find all those free iBooks (separate department needed)

• Reply 12 of 25
    Rofl I just used an rdp client to login remotely to one of my windows 7 pc. This is awesome!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Three hours on...

The Good
    • Very fast overall

• Pleasurable to use

• Lovely screen

• Photo app implementation is extremely good

• Netflix streaming

• Thousands of free iBooks

The Bad
    • No earphones included

• Touch typing is definitely out

• Nothing else I've found yet

The I'm Not So Sure Yet
    • How to import or export iWork documents to/from the Mac

• Very tiny speakers (see above: no earphones)

• No resume viewing feature on Netflix streaming?

• How to find all those free iBooks (separate department needed)

Hey Doc, here's a question: I played with one at the local Apple Store, and I noticed that in the iBook app I was able to summon up a "Copy" command by doing something to an illustration (not sure what, tap and hold maybe?). But I couldn't figure out what happened next. The iPad has some kind of a "clipboard" deal, which allowed me to copy and paste text from a book into a mail message, but when I had that picture loaded there didn't seem to be anything I could do with it.

I had an Apple Store employee at my elbow, however, so I didn't have much chance to explore the options. Any chance you could play around with this and let us know what you find out?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    been playing with my iPad for several hours, this thing is just unbeilevable...bought several apps and books from iBook store and the Marvel comic book app.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Here's my thoughts after playing around for the weekend:

Good:

1. The AirVideo iPhone app works VERY well. Streamed video from my HTPC in 2x mode looks HD quality. Amazing.

2. The iPad is "magic." Form factor. All the usual awesome stuff about how small it is...Blah blah blah.

3. I have no problem typing on it. I can probably type 75% as fast as on a real keyboard right not (i.e. with very little practice). I expect that to get close to normal after a few weeks. I've also noticed much less hand fatigue than when using my laptop keyboard/touchpad.

4. Battery is amazing. Used it all day without charging. Not a crazy "test", but a real world use. Some apps, some YouTube, some ABC, some surfing. With brightness on pretty high...

5. iBooks is pretty cool, as is the Kindle App. Right now, Kindle has a bigger selection, and you can read books you buy there on your iPhone as well, which to me, is an advantage...not sure Apple is going to win this one...

6. Marvel app is amazing. I've never been a huge comics fan before, but this has changed my mind 100%. Can I get comics from all publishers this way, please?

The bad:

1. Many of the iphone apps suck at 2x. Particularly Dropbox, which I use heavily to study school notes from. There is an alternative dropbox app (box.net, or something?) but I'm not worrying about it just yet. Facebook app is also terrible at 2x.

2. Browsing issues. We've had 2. Was trying to change my profile pic in facebook (on safari) and facebook asks you to crop your picture how you want it. Well, that's not working. Also, some family sent us a cute video clip on Picasa, and it wouldn't play on the iPad, because it's Flash...no biggie, we just watched it on the big PC...

3. Keyboard layout is slightly different from normal. It's taking some getting used to the fact that the enter key is now immediately to the right of the L key. The punctuation is moved to another page (like on the iPhone. That slows me down a bit for now. It'll just take some getting used to. I do think I'll prefer touch typing though, when all is said and done.

4. iBooks selection still kinda sucks. It'll take some time.

5. Some apps are a bit buggy. USA Today crashed a couple of times. Just kicked me out of the app...no biggie. I'm sure this will improve as time goes on.

6. Sound could be better, but what do you expect. It actually sounds pretty good for what it is. Haven't tried any real music yet...mostly been watching videos.

Overall, I love it. I got this one for my wife, figuring that it certainly would do what she needed it to do. I'm now ordering one for myself. It's that good. Really.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Bookmark bar can be shown at all times if desired, via toggle in Safari settings.

All of my epub books synced to iBooks and look phenomenal. I have hundreds of ebooks and now have a way to read them!!!

5.5 hrs later I have 80% battery :o

And btw. I'm posting while tethered to my iPhone miwi ftw

How do you mean tethered? Like I'm using my iphone as a wireless modem tethered?

please explain!

flick.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Does the iPad have global search? ie like iPhone's scroll left of homescreen.

Just thought of another one!

If you receive a Word (or Pages) doc via email.... can you edit using Pages for iPad?

Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    I got mine on launch day as well.

My impressions:

-The interface works very quickly, Safari runs very smoothly and is a pleasure to use.

-Video looks great. The ABC player and NetFlix apps are especially good.

-Typing is okay, it isn't too annoying, it's not great either though. I wish they would include a row of numbers but I can deal with it (I do on the iPhone)

-iBooks is intriguing but the prices are not good. I mainly want to be able to carry my magazines with me. I already have subscriptions and I'm not interested in paying cover price for what basically is an online version.

Overall:

It's probably going to sit on my coffee table or beside my bed. I like to check emails and read my RSS feeds while im watching TV and when I wake up. I probably wouldn't lug it around with me unless I was going to sit in a coffee shop or something. I think the most use I'll get out of it is on a plane to watch movies and stuff. It will definitely make a good travel buddy. I'm not so sure about using it for work though.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Does the iPad have global search? ie like iPhone's scroll left of homescreen.

yes it does.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flick Justice View Post

How do you mean tethered? Like I'm using my iphone as a wireless modem tethered?

please explain!

flick.

I have a 3GS, jail broken, with the killer app MyWi installed. One touch turns your iphone into a wifi hotspot. Using this connection, the iPad is faster than the 3GS using the same connection. Much faster.

Also Doc, no complaints about the keyboard here. I find it to be insanely fast. As fast as I can type with two hands (landscape of course), it responds. Using the same prediction and auto correct as the iPhone, in two days I'm going much faster than I even imagined I could on a flat touch screen. I also can't see where tactile feedback would be of much benefit. The change in color and audible click when touching a key is enough to trick your brain into receiving it as feedback. IMO