Anyone think Blizzard will make a WoW client for the iPad??!?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I for one think the iPad would make a great platform for playing WoW on?

Or are we going to have to wait for Apple to release a bigger/beefier touchscreen device that actually runs the full version of Mac OS X??!?

Discuss, politely & intelligently please?

No Trolls or Slaggarts needed?!

;^p

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    If Apple sells a kajillion iPads, which I think they will, Blizzard will probably want to get in on the action. Simple business decision, I would think, and from what I've seen there wouldn't be any problem getting a credible version up and running on the hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    They certainly have the advantage of already having a Mac version running. Where they will have to do a lot of work is in optimizing the content. It seems the iPad has 256MB RAM and an MMORPG would run better with loads of memory. The minimum requirements for the desktop version are 512MB but obviously, that's with virtual memory.

If they have to rework a large number of assets, it could take a while. It seems like it would be a smart business decision though and the game alone would help sell iPads just so that people who play it can do so in comfort.

The easiest option is one that is already coming though - the streaming server:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oBI8A1EGA

It will be like OnLive and OTOY so it plays on the server and streams the results down. For turn-based RPG, the lag doesn't matter. In general these types of service won't be great on the iPad as wifi has too much lag and you can't plug direct into a network line. They will have to make an adaptor for that.