Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 223
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

All the iPad can replace is an iPod Touch.

And at a higher price point! Yay, Apple. You have to hand it to them. They keep coming up with ever more ingenius ways for us to part with our cash... willingly!
  • Reply 42 of 223
    Is there a possibility in the iBook app to switch from the terrible page flick method to vertical scroll like standard PDFs?
  • Reply 43 of 223
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Can you imagine the anti-iPad mocking from the PC fanboyz showing someone holding an iPad to their ear

AFAIK, "fanboyz" are exclusively an Apple phenomenon, or at least, such a phenomenon includes a vanishingly small number of Windows users.

Most folks use their computers as a tool, and not as an element of their identity.

Apple used to attract those who wanted to join a club which consisted of "the rest of us" who tried to "think different". But the company has now changed, starting with the iPod, into a mass market company for the lowest common denominator buyer who doesn't really give a damn abut computers. It is hard to be "one of the rest of us" when every fashion-conscious trendster wears white headphones as a fashion accessory.
  • Reply 44 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkAdrian View Post

Is there a possibility in the iBook app to switch from the terrible page flick method to vertical scroll like standard PDFs?

No, but you don't have to flick it either, you can just touch anywhere on that edge to turn the page.

Why would you want to read a book like that anyway? That seems so unnatural to me.
  • Reply 45 of 223
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    people complaining that ipad cannot replace iphone aren't as much dumb as they are being deceptive. if they're not fooling themselves, they are surely lying about their feelings. no intelligent computer user with extra cash to spend would ever believe something as large as a tablet that cannot make phone calls will replace their pocket-sized phone. as for your home or office, the overlap is greater and it might even be a toss up for me.
  • Reply 46 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

AFAIK, "fanboyz" are exclusively an Apple phenomenon, or at least, such a phenomenon includes a vanishingly small number of Windows users.

It's neither an Apple or computer-related phenomenon. There are rabid fan clubs with fanboys and fangirls for pretty much anything under the sun.
  • Reply 47 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

It cannot replace a netbook. A netbook is a full-fledged computer, and will do pretty much everything a full-fledged computer will do. Processor/RAM intensive tasks will take longer, but modern netbooks are as capable as Pentium 4 class notebooks from a few years ago.

The iPad, OTOH, is not INTENDED to be a full-fledged computer. It cannot replace a netbook. You cannot, for example, download big files in the background while surfing the web. You cannot keep much information on its drive. You can't watch HD video in HD resolution.

It is not INTENDED to be a netbook replacement.
  • Reply 48 of 223
    vmccvmcc Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snowshovel View Post

Yes, this is my feeling also. Not having the iPad natively be a phone is what has put it in the "whatever, I'll wait for the next version and see what happens" category.

The nice thing about the iPhone is how well it took a bunch of little devices and squeezed them all into a little box. I don't want to carry around an additional devices. If I'm carrying around the iPad, which does everything that the phone does, but "magically" better, I might as well use it a blue tooth cell phone/speaker phone also, and just dump the phone.

Skype obviously comes close, but I need Skype on more than just a wifi hotspot; I need to be able to get calls through at any moment notice, like through a cell carrier.

I agree. The new iPhone will be more in line with what I need the device to do. The iPad seems to be a good media device, but falls short in a number of areas that are crucial to business use.

I'll be waiting for the new iPhone, thanks.
  • Reply 49 of 223
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    simple solution: allow tethering with an iphone.

reasons it won't happen:

carriers charge extra for tethering capability

the ipad has no exclusive contract with at&t, so any thoughts of at&t allowing it with no extra charge won't be happening.
  • Reply 50 of 223
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

It cannot replace a netbook.

oh, we'll get there.
  • Reply 51 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

How? Can I print properly formated spreadsheets, webpages, word documents, PDF files, etc from it? Can I hook it up to a larger monitor without the need for a dongle? Can I plug in an SD card without needing another dongle? Can I plug my Nikon D60 in without needing a dongle? Can I scan in documents using my wireless AIW printer? Can I run Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Linux, or the full OS X with an iPad?

Let's not kid ourselves here. The iPad can be a netbook replacement for some people, but not all

Quite correct. Modern netbooks are extremely more capable than the iPad.
  • Reply 52 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's neither an Apple or computer-related phenomenon. There are rabid fan clubs with fanboys and fangirls for pretty much anything under the sun.

Exactly, although I admit to using the term deliberately for the sake of humor

I see you you mention you are buying the iPad apps impulsively... so far I've been true to my Scottish ancestry on my mother's side and stuck with Free apps except for Pages. I wish Apple woud bring out an HD iDisk app and possibly a genuine Apple ARD client. Do you think the latter is likely?

BTW, Any of the for profit ones you particularly recommend so far?
  • Reply 53 of 223
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel. You can disagree but you can't call them dumb--it's a fact that they are feeling the way they said. And it actually is a bit silly to have to carry both an iPad and an iPhone considering the huge amount of overlap between the devices.

Sure would look silly holding a ipad up to your ear

Skip
  • Reply 54 of 223
    Quote:

Most folks use their computers as a tool, and not as an element of their identity.

Apple used to attract those who wanted to join a club which consisted of "the rest of us" who tried to "think different". But the company has now changed, starting with the iPod, into a mass market company for the lowest common denominator buyer who doesn't really give a damn abut computers. It is hard to be "one of the rest of us" when every fashion-conscious trendster wears white headphones as a fashion accessory.

Isn't marketing an awesome thing? I become sexier holding my new iPhone; isn't that right? I become sexier driving my Bentley GTS convertible, obviously. My new Nexus 1 makes my penis larger, or so I've been led to believe.

I find it humorous to see how Apple's hype machine has affected people. They're one of the best at it, and it shows in the iPad. I knew when Jobs called this thing 'Magical' that we were all in for a tsunami of BS coming our way.
  • Reply 55 of 223
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Except I wasn't talking about "occasional or lite input", but "taking lecture notes", which requires fast and precise typing that is just impossible on an iPad (though I will be honest and admit that I haven't tried it yet). This is pretty much the one thing everyone I know uses their netbook for.

Personally, I take 4-5 pages of written notes per lecture, and I can assure you that even the crappiest hardware-keyboard would be better suited to this task than a slate of glass. Nevermind the fact that there are netbooks with very good keyboards out there.

I'm not even trashing the iPad here, just saying that there are many people, especially in academic settings, who simply use netbooks as ultraportable note-taking devices, and the iPad is not very well suited to this task.

You make a valid point but there are settings in which the iPad could be used for note taking because a bluetooth keyboard or the dock/keyboard combo that Apple is offering will get around having to imput on a virtual keyboard. Journalists, for example (I used to be one of those) sitting up in a press box could easily set up an iPad to do their work. Anywhere that allows for the iPad to be propped up in front of you would allow for such a use and I do imagine that for firing off an e-mail, the iPad would do the trick even working off the virtual keyboard.

Not everyone who owns a netbook is a student taking lecture notes.

Also, the flaw of the netbook is that many folks think of it as a notebook or desktop replacement. It aspires to be that but generally is a rather lousy notebook/desktop substitute. The iPad has no such delusions of grandeur. It is designed to do a specific set of tasks but does them exceptionally well. There are particular tasks that a netbook, even a lousy, cheap one can handle whereas the iPad simply can't. Clearly, in those instances, one would choose a netbook over the iPad. But then you have people who have purchased a netbook to perform tasks to which the iPad is perfectly suited. For those potential customers, the iPad does represent an appealing alternative.

In terms of Apple's bottom line the iPad is a great addition because it doesn't replace a pocketable device like the iPhone or the Touch. Also, it doesn't replace a full-function computer be it a desktop or laptop. In fact, you pretty much have to have such a device to combine with the iPad to have a viable set-up. Apple can sell folks an iPhone and an iPad and a Macbook Pro or iMac or (in my case) a Mini. It's going to amount to additional revenue and additional opportunities to sell content.
  • Reply 56 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukas View Post

oh common netbooks are the biggest pile of sh*t i've ever seen..

That statement, being a nonspecific generality, is akin to "Tablet computers are the biggest pile of sh*t I've ever seen".

Modern netbooks are very cool devices. Many are well-made and powerful. Do some research.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukas View Post

try to run a browser with flash + word on a netbook..and - hey - why not connect a 1920*1200 screen to it? i bet you 100 bucks no 300$-netbook on this planet can handle this in an enjoyable way.

the ipad has pretty decent hardware for what it was build for..

[/QUOTE]

Aside from using a screen resolution that they were not made to display, a good-quality modern netbook will do exactly what you describe. They are as good as desktop computers were a few years ago.

Do some research. Look at the Asus and Dell netbooks.
  • Reply 57 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

simple solution: allow tethering with an iphone.

reasons it won't happen:

carriers charge extra for tethering capability

the ipad has no exclusive contract with at&t, so any thoughts of at&t allowing it with no extra charge won't be happening.

You could purchase a Palm Pre Plus from Verizon, then you and four others can use it as a mobile hotspot, for nothing.
  • Reply 58 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't agree. I found trying to type on the shrunken keyboard of a netbook to be a chore. iPad typing is fast, the only drawback to it is the need to constantly look at the display, but I had to with the netbook, too, because it's not full sized.

Modern netbooks have large keyboards. For example, the Dell Mini 10 has a keyboard which is 93% of the size of a "regular" keyboard, and others have keyboards which are even bigger.

Yes, crappy netbooks exist. But to ascribe "bad keyboard" to every product in the category based upon one's limited experience is to make a false generalization.
  • Reply 59 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

people complaining that ipad cannot replace iphone aren't as much dumb as they are being deceptive. if they're not fooling themselves, they are surely lying about their feelings. no intelligent computer user with extra cash to spend would ever believe something as large as a tablet that cannot make phone calls will replace their pocket-sized phone. as for your home or office, the overlap is greater and it might even be a toss up for me.

I agree completely that expecting the iPad to replace the iPhone is a silly idea.

HOWEVER, I could picture a scenario where I would no longer need an iPhone and would go to a simple (cheap) dumb-phone once I have my 3G iPad. My phone could then be used solely for making calls (and maybe texts) and wouldn't need internet, email. etc. I could buy a cheaper phone with longer battery life, etc.

Another possibility would be for the casual cell phone user to use a 3G iPad with Skype instead of an iPhone. It won't work for me because I need to be accessible all the time so my phone is always in my pocket, but for some people, iPad with Skype might meet their calling needs, making an iPhone unnecessary. Of course, I doubt if many people like that needed an iPhone in the first place.

So, it's possible that a small number of people might be able to use an iPad instead of an iPhone. But that's a long way from expecting the iPad to be a replacement for an iPhone.
  • Reply 60 of 223
    I call them dumb for being Twitter freaks. I mean, WTF? What's so good about a stripped down version of Facebook (wall only, 140 chars max). The iPhone screen should be more than enough for an SNS with the format of a beeper. Why do they want to tweet on the Pad?

Maybe i'ts just that I don't get the wole "following" thing. I prefer "gathering".

Well, that was my anti-twitter rant. Now flame me, join me or ignore me.