Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 223
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

Not for users whos software requires a desktop OS. The iPad requires another device to function a netbook does not. If you have an iPad and no other computer system you are out of luck, that isn't the case with a netbook.
  • Reply 82 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Yes, in vanishingly small numbers, as I already said.

Care to explain that? Off the top of my head I can think of sci-fi/comic book conventions and sporting events that are rife with rabid fans and these do not appear to be dwindling. In the cellular space RiM, Nokia, Android all have a very lively fanbase. Then you have the video game console market. I don't think that other PC makers incompetence in comparison to Apple is a reason it should apply only to Apple.
  • Reply 83 of 223
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    What exactly do they mean by "Staying With Kindle" is a feature that is making people unhappy about the iPad?
  • Reply 84 of 223
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Twitter is a terrible way to capture accurate market data. Flash concerns in particular would be largely overblown. I'd wait for a more formal survey.
  • Reply 85 of 223
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yet, as previously pointed out in this thread, for many people it will:

Yes, and "for many people" a cellphone can replace a netbook. Your point is true, but trivial.
  • Reply 86 of 223
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Scottish, eh? Me too. 3rd generation, from Edinburgh. PS: I don't know if you watch the new Dr. Who serials but the new one just started and the new companion is an attractive redhead from Scotland.

2) It's odd that Apple has updated their own 3rd-party apps. It makes me wonder if v4.0 will have these things included for the iPad. But still, that is likely at least a few months before going live so why not take a little time to at least give it the minimal Universal refresh. They also never had an iPhone optimized site for the very site for listing web apps. Sometimes they don't make much sense.

3a) So I can only recommend the $2 NG World Atlas app right now. That's it, really. I bought Star Walk for $5 but haven't tried it at night, but looks promising, I've bought several comics on the Marvel app (was never really into comics before now). Elements is great but I'm not if it's worth the $14. Scrabble is really cool and $10 is less than the physical board game probably costs but I have yet to play it, have just seen the video of it. I'm not a gamer but I played the Labyrinth 2 HD Lite and enjoyed it so much I then paid $7 for it, which i've played quite a bit.

3b) I still have no get IM client (using AIM) and no RSS reader (not a fan of NetNewsWire). There are a bunch of others but I can't recall them or haven't used them yet.

Thanks for apps info, very useful. Scrabble will be great for trips and vacations ... no losing tiles ... yeah!

I was last from Edinburgh prior to my transfer to the USA in 1990. I had a business on the cobbled street just up from Hollyrood Castle. Great city indeed. I lived in Stirling and commuted through the lovely scenery everyday. Florida isn't quite the same, but the weather sure is better here!

I started watching Doctor Who the year it started and hid behind the couch in terror when the Daleks appeared! I will have to check out the new one. Is it available on line somewhere? (iPad compat of course
  • Reply 87 of 223
    vmccvmcc Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Marketing is fascinating to be sure as is human psychology as it relates to it. I guess in the modern world where owning more cows or having a few extra neck rings doesn't cut it, marketing has found ways to touch the same primeval feelings of self worth.

I wonder which is more powerful; the desire to own an iPad created by marketing or the envy, anger and hate of some without an iPad that is generated?

Having said that I still am really enjoying my iPad and couldn't care less if anyone knows I have one or not.

I had my finger on my enter key a few weeks ago, ready to order my iPad and decided against it. It just doesn't do what I need it to do. Yet.

At this particular point in time I believe most people will be better served with a smartphone and a laptop.
  • Reply 88 of 223
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

was it ever marketed to be a replacement for the iPhone???

that is a really a dumb complaint.

No it was not.

And it's not a dumb complaint by itself. Nor is the Flash complaint. what is dumb is that these were numbers of folks that went and bought it anyway, not folks that refused to telling why why won't. Because both lack of 'features' were well known from the start so why buy something lacking something you think is important. that's the dumb
  • Reply 89 of 223
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vmcc View Post

No, it will not replace a netbook.

That depends on what you are using a netbook for. For the majority of people an iPad could replace a netbook quite easily.
  • Reply 89 of 223
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Man, people just like to complain!

But surely the iPad can replace the iPhone once they get the 3G version. What they should be complaining about is the fact that they now have to pay large tailor bills for stitching on unsightly 12" pockets on all their jackets and pants.

There is one already
  • Reply 91 of 223
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    "It can't replace iPhone", so no cannibalization of iPhone sales?! I thought that was a good thing and something that Apple wanted.
  • Reply 92 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beeman60 View Post

Feynman wrote (and I took it to heart) What do you care what other people think?

I can see using the ipad with either a wired headset (think Plantronics) or with a bluetooth headset...why the hell not? Along with skype as a voip client.

I don't. I was referring to the way the anti-iPad folk would react if you read what I said again. I agree with you entirely.
  • Reply 93 of 223
    Quote:

Never having even seen a netbook that I am aware of (I travel by air a lot but all I see are glowing white Apple logos these days it seems) what is different from one compared to a small MacBook? I must be missing something.

In general, they are 10 inch devices instead of 13. Generally, they use Intel Atom processors and run either Linux, Win XP or Win7. Generally, they come with one gig of RAM and are upgradeable to 2 gigs.

Google up Dell Mini 10 to see one example of a good quality netbook.
  • Reply 94 of 223
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the biggest complaint being that the device can't replace their iPhone, a new survey of the social networking Web site found.

Lol, wut?

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't replace my car. Or drop gold coins out of its dock connector slot. Or make wishes come true.
  • Reply 95 of 223
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

As for the "no flash support", I would be curious to see in what contexts and on which sites.

all contexts, all sites. For the iphone OS (which is what the ipad uses) Flash is up there with Windows. not there at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Stop calling users dumb for feeling what they feel.

this has nothing to do with feelings. It has to do with facts. It's been well known that the ipad had no calling making functions from day one. And that this wasn't even the 3g data model.

So why if that was such an important function to these folks did they buy an ipad. Same for the folks all up in arms about the lack of Flash but bought an ipad anyway
  • Reply 96 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:

Out of interest I just googled 'fanboyz' and after several pages of various types I had yet to come across any reference to Apple.

Well, not to worry. Here's the definition of 'fanboy':

fanboy /fænˌbɔɪ/

- noun

1. A derogatory term used to describe those with whom one disagrees on a given subject.

2. A person who has a better argument than one on a particular topic. Typically, the usage is in response to points made to which one does not have a cogent response.
  • Reply 97 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vmcc View Post

I had my finger on my enter key a few weeks ago, ready to order my iPad and decided against it. It just doesn't do what I need it to do. Yet.

At this particular point in time I believe most people will be better served with a smartphone and a laptop.

Well you are right to wait until you see a need or not. As I wrote earlier it has fast become my research tool of preference. Sitting on a couch is a nice change from at my desk 8+ hours a day. So for me it is a great tool. Horses for courses. My MacBook is sitting unused now poor thing. However on a trip where I'd be away for a long time I'd take both iPad and MacBook. I am lucky as I am in the business and these are my tools and therefor a tax write off. I have to check web sites and videos on all platforms from XP, through 7, to OS X and iPhones and iPads. If it were just a personal thing I'd probably have stuck with my MacBook for now and just drooled a while longer.
  • Reply 98 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That depends on what you are using a netbook for. For the majority of people an iPad could replace a netbook quite easily.

Where do you get your facts? How large is this majority you speak of? Or did you just make up the statistic out of thin air and your preexisting biases?
  • Reply 99 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by powderdust View Post

Flash not included on iPhone and iPad is simply that anyone could make their own Flash App Store and undermine Apple's marketing model.

That is, of course, the version espoused by people who prefer conspiracy theories to reality.

Apple has stated quite clearly their reasons for not including Flash. It sucks batteries, performs slowly, and creates a security risk. The fact that there is no full-featured Flash version on other mobile devices (only a dumbed-down Flash which isn't much better than no Flash at all) confirms that.

What evidence do you have that Apple is lying?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Not for users whos software requires a desktop OS. The iPad requires another device to function a netbook does not. If you have an iPad and no other computer system you are out of luck, that isn't the case with a netbook.

That's not true. For many people, there's no need for a separate computer to use an iPad. You can do email, web browsing, create and view documents, print, move pictures from your camera, edit photos, etc. For lots of people, that's plenty of functionality without having a computer.
  • Reply 100 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

In general, they are 10 inch devices instead of 13. Generally, they use Intel Atom processors and run either Linux, Win XP or Win7. Generally, they come with one gig of RAM and are upgradeable to 2 gigs.

Google up Dell Mini 10 to see one example of a good quality netbook.

Thanks but why would that be better than a MacBook 13" that runs flawlessly, no need for Kaspersky et al and all the associated problems? Is it simply price? Two inches hardly matters (no jokes please). If it is price you can get great MacBooks second hand that still run Leopard and some Snow Leopard. Heck I still have a base model iBook G4 12" that runs Leopard fine.