Twitter users' biggest complaint with iPad: it can't replace an iPhone

Comments

• Reply 121 of 223
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks but why would that be better than a MacBook 13" that runs flawlessly, no need for Kaspersky et al and all the associated problems? Is it simply price? Two inches hardly matters (no jokes please). If it is price you can get great MacBooks second hand that still run Leopard and some Snow Leopard. Heck I still have a base model iBook G4 12" that runs Leopard fine.

Nobody ever said that would be better than a Macbook 13. What the heck?
  • Reply 122 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

We Know. They're called "LAPTOPS"

What sort of a silly Troll is this?

Yes, laptops have full sized keyboards. And better netbooks have good keyboards.

Am I missing your point? Do you have a point? Or are you just Trolling?
  • Reply 123 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Its far less then ideal and its a safe bet that next to no one uses these devices as standalone. I thought buying an Apple product was to make your life easier yet to try and prove your false point you want to go around the world to make life harder.

Someone is going to spend money on music, software, Apps, ebooks and not back them up? Are you serious?

Here lets end this one and for all.

Directly from Apple.

iPad system requirements

Mac system requirements

Mac computer with USB 2.0 port

Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later

iTunes 9.1 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

iTunes Store account

Internet access

PC with USB 2.0 port Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later

iTunes 9.1 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

iTunes Store account

Internet access

Clearly Apple "you know the iPad vendor" does not see the iPad as a standalone device.

Type all you want, but you're still wrong to say it can't be used as such.
  • Reply 124 of 223
    Quote:

Here this should be good enough. Like all technology take note of the term 'rapidly evolving".

Sort of like your arguments.
  • Reply 125 of 223
    Sheesh, what a bunch of maroons. (i) If making a call was so darn important, why the heck couldn't/didn't they wait for the 3G version? (They can still return the wifi only). (ii) If Flash was so darn important, why the heck did they buy an iPad in the first place!? Did they they think that somehow, it would magically be Flash-enabled upon purchase?

Twits.
  • Reply 126 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

An interesting point: What defines a netbook? Is it a display size smaller than x inches, less than a standard sized keyboard, running an Atom CPU or something else altogether.

The marketing department at each manufacturer defines "netbook". The category is fuzzy, without clear demarcation.

That is one big reason why making blanket statements about generic "netbooks" is just plain foolish.
  • Reply 127 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Yes, laptops have full sized keyboards. And better netbooks have good keyboards.

The term netbook is a fairly general term these days. They have changed a good bit since they came out a few years ago.

These days you can get a "netbook" with up to an 11 inch screen, 250gb harddrive a 1.83 ghz processor running a full version of Windows 7.

So I am not sure netbooks are really just netbooks anymore they have simply moved into lower price notebooks. With some netbooks the only real weak point is the GPU if they start to upgrade the GPU you really have just a lower priced notebook. The gap is certainly closing.

Netbooks are also getting more expensive. You can now pay 400.00 for one if someone wanted one like I listed above. So its a fast changing catagory which is often the case with technology.
  • Reply 128 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

I can't comment on the Dell units but I can categorically say that the Asus unit I have is a stinking pile of sh*t - the device is basically unusable other than for browsing the web or simple emails - if I happen to browse to a web page with flash you can literally see the damn thing crawl to a halt and the battery drain.

Too bad you made a poor choice. Many modern netbooks are very nice.
  • Reply 129 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sort of like your arguments.

Come on fanboy live up to your definition. Instead of changing the subject tell me why Apple lists other hardware as a requirement for the iPad if its a standalone device. If you can't then simply go away.
  • Reply 130 of 223
    Quote:

Come on fanboy live up to your definition. Instead of changing the subject tell me why Apple lists other hardware as a requirement for the iPad if its a standalone device. If you can't then simply go away.

You claimed it can't be used as a standalone device. You are clearly wrong. There's no possibility of arguing your way out of that.
  • Reply 131 of 223
    Quote:

You claimed it can't be used as a standalone device. You are clearly wrong. There's no possibility of arguing your way out of that.

If he said it can't be used as a hammer, his statement would be equally wrong.

And your quibbles would be equally trivial.
  • Reply 132 of 223
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It's unrealistic, but if you carry any kind of briefcase, backpack, purse (man or otherwise) or whatever, and use a BT headset, it could work pretty well as a phone. Some headsets work pretty well with iPhones, I could walk two rooms away and still have a conversation or listen to music as clearly as standing next to it. The problem is that I couldn't find one without a major drawback, one didn't want to charge consistently, another didn't fit well, one worked great as a phone headset but poorly on A2DP, one did great on A2DP but poorly as a headset, etc.
  • Reply 133 of 223
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

It is true because you need another system to use an iPad. Its not a standalone device. Like the iPods, Touch and iPhone the iPad needs to work with iTunes. The first thing you need to do with any of these devices when you turn them on for the first time is connect them with iTunes.

Quote:

Its far less then ideal and its a safe bet that next to no one uses these devices as standalone. I thought buying an Apple product was to make your life easier yet to try and prove your false point you want to go around the world to make life harder. .

You really would be far better off if you learned something about the iPad before commenting on it.

Lots of people use their iPhones without syncing it with a computer; the iPad will work the same way. I don't know the percentage, but it's clearly quite possible. In fact, when you read about some of the stories of people who purchased an iPad as their first (and only) computer, it's very real.

You can do a great deal with the iPad without every syncing it with a computer:

- Internet acces

- eMail

- Transfer photos from a digital camera

- Edit photos

- Create and share documents (word processing, spreadsheet, presentations)

- Purchase and listen to music via the iTunes store

- Purchase and watch TV shows and movies

- Purchase and read e-books

There is absolutely no reason why that wouldn't meet the needs of a lot of people. Just as important, it clearly disproves your continued assertions that a separate computer is necessary.
  • Reply 134 of 223
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If he had just stated that you need to plug it into a PC the first time you start it up or that Apple has designed it as an accessory device to people's PCs the way netbooks are typically utilized, though not required to be utilized, it would have made sense. Instead he's just spinning hyperbole and BS and picking fights with the decent posters here just to later claim he was picked on when he gets his ass schooled. I suggest just add him to your ignore list. It seems the only way to deal with these asshats is to ignore them, as inelegant as a solution as it is.
  • Reply 135 of 223
    Quote:

Not equal at all.

It is implausible that one would use an iPad as a hammer. It is quite plausible that one would buy an iPad as their sole computer and not sync it with another computer. Read some of the early reviews - quite a few people talked about buying an iPad as their first (and only) computer.
  • Reply 136 of 223
    Quote:

It's nice to see the trolls back each other up, bonding and all that. Very sweet of you.

However, since using it as a hammer would, for example, damage it and using it as a standalone device would not, your assertion that he'd be equally wrong is mistaken.
  • Reply 137 of 223
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

And a netbook.

ummmm no. The iPad does NOT replace a netbook.

One of the reasons why it's not for me.
  • Reply 138 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If he had just stated that you need to plug it into a PC the first time you start it up or that Apple has designed it as an accessory device to people's PCs the way netbooks are typically utilized, though not required to be utilized, it would have made sense. Instead he's just spinning hyperbole and BS and picking fights with the decent posters here just to later claim he was picked on when he gets his ass schooled. I suggest just add him to your ignore list. It seems the only way to deal with these asshats is to ignore them, as inelegant as a solution as it is.

I suggest that the conversation be limited to the topic at hand, rather than being an insult-fest directed towards people you disagree with.
  • Reply 139 of 223
    Quote:

Troll? Hell no... fanboy, maybe.

Seriously, You said something like "NetBooks with keyboards 93% normal size and even bigger", And my reply is "What is the point of a NetBook if it's not that smaller? What makes it so different from a Laptop?"

The answer is, IMHO, is that a keyboard too big is not portable and a keyboard too small is no good to use. Then, One Day, someone decided to innovate and do away with the keyboard altogether, or at least have it occasionally share space with the screen.

That is my point. And that's the point of many people NOT getting a netbook and getting either a Laptop OR an iPad, each having its pros and not being something "just in between".

In any case I think you overreacted to a simple joke. Go get your netBook and be happy.
  • Reply 140 of 223
    For all you iPad haters, you'll enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Blendtec.../0/lAl28d6tbko