Apple set to reveal multitasking, iAd with iPhone OS 4.0 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's unveiling of iPhone OS 4.0, set for Thursday, will likely include full multitasking support, the new "iAd" mobile advertising service, and gaming related announcements, one analyst said Tuesday.

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors in which he said checks with his sources indicate that iPhone OS 4.0 will be a full multi-tasking environment where third-party applications will be able to run simultaneously and in the background along with Apple's own built-in applications.

Those claims support what AppleInsider reported in March: that Apple plans to add full multitasking support in the forthcoming release of the 4.0 software update. Sources said that the company has developed a "full-on solution" to allow multitasking of third-party applications on the App Store.

Wu said while multitasking will be important for the iPhone and iPod touch, he believes the announcement will be an even bigger deal for the just-released iPad.

"We believe this will be particularly important for the iPad, due to its much faster processor and much larger screen where users will more likely want the capability to run multiple applications much like most do with their PCs and Macs," he wrote. "We believe this will allow AAPL to deliver a fuller and more differentiated experience on the iPad helping drive greater adoption."

Wu also mentioned Apple's forthcoming mobile advertising API, which is rumored to be dubbed iAd. The analyst said the financial impact of this service for Apple will be "minor to negligible," but the service will allow the company to further enhance its position with the developer community.

The advertising service will stem from Apple's purchase of mobile advertising firm Quattro Wireless for $275 million in January.

In addition, Wu said he's heard word that better games for the iPhone OS platform are coming, and Apple could make an announcement related to that on Thursday as well.

"While we don't have fuller details, we are picking up indication that there will likely be gaming related announcements where AAPL will make it easier to develop more powerful and sophisticated games," he wrote. "We believe this makes sense for the iPad in particular with its much more powerful capabilities."

On Monday, Apple sent out invitations for its iPhone OS 4.0 preview event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday. The company has said it will give a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software" at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Really looking forward to see what they have up thier sleeve. Really hoping they introduce multitasking (And do it it the Apple way so its easy and a good User experience)

I just hope 4.0 is not geared towards ads, that would be a huge disapointment. Ads ruin the mobile experience in my opinion, and Apple introduction a framework for it kinda really sucks.
  • Reply 2 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I personally hope third party multitasking can be turned off. I don't have any need for it on my iPhone and don't want to suffer from the RAM and CPU usage of background apps if I forget to close them after every use.
  • Reply 3 of 145
    My biggest hope is a robust file system, perhaps tightly integrated with iDisk.
  • Reply 4 of 145
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors in which he said checks with his sources indicate that iPhone OS 4.0 will be a full multi-tasking environment where third-party applications will be able to run simultaneously and in the background along with Apple's own built-in applications.

Those claims support what AppleInsider reported in March: that Apple plans to add full multitasking support in the forthcoming release of the 4.0 software update. Sources said that the company has developed a "full-on solution" to allow multitasking of third-party applications on the App Store.

I hope so!
  • Reply 5 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    First the mild disappointment with the name iPad, now the sheer embarassment of "iAd" (if this is indeed the name)... Oofah! There's something wrong in the 'naming department'.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    yeah, iAds... that's what I was missing from my phone: adds pO-Op'ing up everywhere...
  • Reply 7 of 145
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's unveiling of iPhone OS 4.0, set for Thursday, will likely include full multitasking support, the new "iAd" mobile advertising service, and gaming related announcements, one analyst said Tuesday.

In addition, Wu said he's heard word that better games for the iPhone OS platform are coming, and Apple could make an announcement related to that on Thursday as well.

"While we don't have fuller details, we are picking up indication that there will likely be gaming related announcements where AAPL will make it easier to develop more powerful and sophisticated games," he wrote. "We believe this makes sense for the iPad in particular with its much more powerful capabilities."

On Monday, Apple sent out invitations for its iPhone OS 4.0 preview event, scheduled for 10 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday. The company has said it will give a "sneak peek of the next generation of iPhone software" at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

This sounds interesting. New game engine or what? I will be very interested on what they pull out here.
  • Reply 8 of 145
    deano72deano72 Posts: 15member
    I am hoping for avrcp bluetooth to be able to advance to next/previous tracks
  • Reply 9 of 145
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Its gonna be more than multitasking and iAd. It is gonna be way cool.

My hope is that developers will use the new model for daemons and services such as support of iChat, etc.

We will almost assuredly start to hear complaints about how short the battery life is in 4.x from the very people that screamed the loudest about 'we must have multi tasking'.
  • Reply 10 of 145
    This analyst is useless! How many of his previous "predictions" have proven to be correct?!? He seems to take other rumors, claim that he checked with his "sources", and spits them back out in a report that's usually not born out! Laughable!

As for his regurgitated predictions, I sure hope multi-tasking is coming!
  • Reply 11 of 145
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

First the mild disappointment with the name iPad,.

Oh get over it kid.
  • Reply 12 of 145
    I will most definitely be following this come. Thursday. I will love to also see this go into effect for the iPad. Will definitely shut up some people! But then again they'll jut find something else to complaint about. As for me no complaints but am welcome to new improvements on the iphone os. Let's keep our fingers crossed for more good things to come.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    Paid iAds on the iPad. Just what we needed.

But I'd rather use that than helping Google out through adMob

Yes, I'm a fanboi, so what?
  • Reply 14 of 145
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Oh get over it kid.

Kid? I'm over the iPad name, but it would be disingenuous to say I was not disappointed. I expect every aspect of Apple's products to be well thought out, but recent naming decisions have been very sloppy.
  • Reply 15 of 145
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    In reality, Apple should leave everything to the user. They can design the framework and let us decide whether we want to enable a feature or not. Multitasking, toggle switch. Custom themes, toggle switch and so on and so on.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Its gonna be more than multitasking and iAd. It is gonna be way cool.

My hope is that developers will use the new model for daemons and services such as support of iChat, etc.

We will almost assuredly start to hear complaints about how short the battery life is in 4.x from the very people that screamed the loudest about 'we must have multi tasking'.

Knowing Apple I bet they have found a way to minimize battery drain when multi-tasking. Just a guess but this is probably why the delay, they had to develop some new way of doing this. After all on these sized screens we are not talking about the apps being seen at the same time so perhaps they sleep when not in foreground yet awake for required events or perhaps events take place without the app running normally ....
  • Reply 17 of 145
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Kid? I'm over the iPad name, but it would be disingenuous to say I was not disappointed. I expect every aspect of Apple's products to be well thought out, but recent naming decisions have been very sloppy.

Oh admit it... you'd love to get carded again.
  • Reply 18 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Paid iAds on the iPad. Just what we needed.

But I'd rather use that than helping Google out through adMob

Yes, I'm a fanboi, so what?

Talking of people's different takes on nomenclature, out of curiosity, do the French still insist on all new French words for such things or are those days over?
  • Reply 19 of 145
    homsarhomsar Posts: 4member
    Quote:

First the mild disappointment with the name iPad, now the sheer embarassment of "iAd" (if this is indeed the name)... Oofah! There's something wrong in the 'naming department'.

Yeah, the names are iMad. Although if we get multitasking, then I'll be iGlad. (These puns are getting a bit iSad... and that was an iBad one...)
  • Reply 20 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deano72 View Post

I am hoping for avrcp bluetooth to be able to advance to next/previous tracks

Yes please! And make it work better with the Ford SYNC